Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2015 11:48:40 PM EDT
This is marching off to oblivion on the general page so I put it here in the Ruger section where I should have in the first place.
----

(C) LSA 2015

PICTURES IN

For the novice shooter with a new pistol, there are a number of things that can be done to increase the ease of use of the new pistol.  A short summary using a Ruger SR22P was included at:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/148288_Beginner_Level_Set_Up_Of_A_New_Pistol.html

But a new Ruger LCR .38 Special five shot revolver has none of the multiple magazines, adjustable sights, or the fickleness of .22 Long Rifle ammunition.  The things I wanted to know about the LCR 38 were how it properly worked and where it fired various types of ammunition.  Did it shoot to its sights with anything and if so, with what ammo?

1)  Step one was as always to read the manual for interesting information you might not know about a new gun.

2)  Step two was to set up some sort of uniform test procedure so results would be comparable.  I kept in mind that a 2" light weight five shot .38 is not a target gun.   I thought that 15 yards would provide a chance for variations in group hit center to spread out and still keep "groups" in a reasonable size.  So I did my shooting at 15 yards on IPSC targets standing two handed with no rest.  Just aim and fire as a person usually would.  Lead bullets were fired on one target and jacket hollow points fired on the second target.  Multiple colors of MagicMarker identify each set of bullet holes.  A side margin legend describes the ammo.  The E = # reference is a note as to the inches low or high a group of 5 shots struck the target.

Quick view of both targets.  Details in photos below.

3)  Step three was to select some .38 Special ammunition representing common types and some reference handloads useable for practice.  The list included:

Lead bulleted ammo:
-125 grain lead flat point with 2.2 grains Bullseye  (very mild loading)
-125 grain lead flat point with 2.7 grains Bullseye  (about like a 148 grain wadcutter in recoil sensation)
-125 grain lead flat point with 3.5 grains Bullseye  (about like most factory 125 grain standard power .38 Special jacketed ammo)
-148 grain Winchester lead wadcutter  (standard high quality target ammo)
-158 grain Winchester lead round nose (standard police ammo of yesteryear)
-158 grain Winchester lead hollow point +P  (more recent standard police ammo)

Jacketed Hollow Point ammo:
-Hornady Critical Defense Lite 90 grain  (a lighter bulleted CD loading, but faster than the 110, but with less recoil sensation)
-Hornady Critical Defense 110 grain  (their standard .38 Special CD loading)
-Speer Gold Dot 125 grain  (a standard .38 Special loading for older non +P revolvers or less recoil)
-Federal HydraShok 129 grain Tactical +P  (a newer version of the HydraShok)
-Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P  (the NYPD short barrel +P load)

4)  With all that sorted out, all that remained was to go shooting on a very nice -1F degree day with a medium breeze and lots of snow.  If the results are not up to your high standards, keep in mind a geriatric person was outside freezing.

Lead bullet IPSC target

Lead bullet IPSC target center with legend

Jacketed bullet IPSC target

Jacketed bullet IPSC target center with legend

5)  A review of the targets generally indicates that lighter bullets went lower than heavier bullets.  This I specifically wanted to know and to know how much.  The targets also indicate Ruger sighted this series of revolver for the common 125 grain type bullet so that it impacted at the point of aim.  This is in comparison to other companies still sighting light revolvers for 158 grain ammo making every light bullet load hit too low.  Not the best idea.  Ruger gets a +1 for the good choice.

I would note the excellent grouping of the Speer Gold Dot 125 grain load.  It chewed up the "A" at the point of aim.  It was fired no different than the other loadings, but had eyes for the middle.

Likewise, the 158LHP +P loading was odd.  Each bullet was yawed and made an elongated hole.  One round aimed no differently than the others departed vertically and landed outside the A zone high.  The recoil with this WW158LSWCHP+P was the nastiest of the rounds fired.  The LCR torqued and jumped.  The yawing was problematic as no round struck hollow point forward fired from the LCR.  Yawing and tumbling are not a good bullet characteristic where the hollow point is a feature.  This load does not seem appropriate for the LCR.

There are only four hits from the 158 grain LRN bullets because one did a perfect ringer on another hole and I could not find it.  Period.  Evaporated or ringered.

6)  My conclusion is that this Ruger LCR will get fed a CCW loading of the Speer 125 grain Gold Dot as it is both very accurate and very centered.  The recoil from it is modest and manageable.  The +P loadings were noticeable in their zippiness.

The LCR .38 itself is more shootable than most center fire J frames I have used.  The trigger pull is smoother and lighter and fires with no fuss as you finish pulling it through.  The new and more visible white bar in a black front sight fits neatly in the Ruger rear sight notch and is easy to aim.  I do have to learn to press in on the cylinder latch rather than forward.  For the same loads, the Ruger grip is vastly more comfortable in recoil than any standard J frame grip.  Only $150 custom made wide and long J frame grips match recoil absorbtion compared to the standard two softness LCR grip.  I am impressed.  And not so hurt for once.

The reason is easy to understand.  The Ruger grip is wide where it hits the web of your trigger finger and thumb.  The material is soft rubber inset into a harder rubber grip.  It soaks up recoil as does the flexing frame.  The usual J frame grip is narrow where it contacts the thumb-finger web and is made of metal and rigid plasticy stuff.  That skinny grip hurts.  And does nothing to improve control or shootability.  

7)  There is no (**) to this firearm needed.  I filled the charge holes, aimed with the sights at 15 yards, pulled the trigger, and the Ruger LCR did as you can see.  With simple revolver like Perfection.  As to shootability, the first round ever fired out of the Ruger is on one of those IPSC targets.  Zero warmup.  Just shot out of the box.  

8)  As to suitability for a particular shooter, there is a comparative analysis that has to be made.

The Ruger is softer shooting than solid metal frames and has an easier trigger pull. The larger rubber grip has to be checked for trigger reach, but its about like a J frame reach or a little shorter because of the lower hand position.

The problem will always remain that a light .38 Special is just that. A light .38 Special which as Roy Huntington says is or should be a pro's tool.

But if less recoil effect and a lighter trigger pull than other makes help, then the Ruger is a better choice with the same ammo than any other J frame size gun I have ever used.

For whom is a light .38 appropriate?  Which light .38 is most appropriate if a person desires to use one?

If a person desires to use one, which ammo is appropriate? (The above provides some ammo insight or data to consider.)(I would note the two lighter reloads make practice easy(er).

Good things to figure out before spending money.  I would recommend shooting any firearm before spending money on it.  Rent, borrow, or beg useage of what you might wish to buy.

9)  Follow up on fit and shootability.  

On the question of trigger reach and hand size, a couple of women with hands of ordinary female size tried the feel and trigger pull of my LCR .38+P.

Each had no trouble with the trigger reach finding it comfortable. Each found the trigger pull itself easier to start and smoother pulling it through than my J frame Smith M&P340. And like wise, they noticed the trigger pull was materially lighter.  There was no opportunity for shooting it at that time.  I merely note it fit properly and felt good.

On the issue of shootability, I took the LCR .38 +P out again and shot at IPSC "A" zone steel plates through 20 yards and in with 5 yard increments. Despite the cold and wind, I was unable to make the LCR miss with lead bullet reloads.  I think it is a dandy pocket gun.  

Out yet again, my wife found the Hornady Critical Defense LITE 90 grain .38 Special load more recoil than she wanted and quit at 5 rounds.  

10)  My advice remains to always shoot what you wish to buy before you spend money.

11)  

A nice pocket holster helps conceal the LCR .38.

(C) LSA 2015
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Old thread, but considering an LCP in 38 so appreciate the review.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Bump up.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Its a relative thing.  All of these light small .38Specials recoil.  The LCR is just less hurtful than a J frame Smith with the lousy thin rubber grips that come standard on most of them. Its why they sell the .22LR trainer versions.  No one in their right mind likes to shoot full power .38s in them.

Note however the compatibility with standard pressure 125 Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Old thread, but considering an LCP in 38 so appreciate the review.
View Quote

The LCP is not available in 38 spl,

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The one my daughter has stings the hand so bad nobody wanted to shoot it anymore.

And that the ammo wasn't even +P.

I hope that it's a fluke but I can't imagine a .357 model.
View Quote

That is strange.   I find it to be absolute cake, the LCR in 38 SPL +P.    Good trigger, good grips, very well thought out.   Pussy Cat in 38 .
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#10]
While I feel the Ruger LCR 38 SPL +P is a great gun that is easy to shot, it will, like all guns, vary from user to user.   The LCR in 38 SPL +P convinced me to give the 38 SPL cartridge a chance again.  

I own some revolvers, from old 5 screw S&Ws to Pythons.   But, I they usually seem less effective than autos at anything other than hunting.  

Clearly, I am fine with S&W revolvers.   I just could not find one that was what I needed.

I had generally carried two autos on me most of the time.

But, I wanted something that would be reliable from inside a pocket, such as a coat or vest pocket.   I wanted it to be modern, light, with a good trigger out of the box, and have night sights should I need it out of the pocket at more than 18" to 3'.  My budget was to be a max of $750.  This was about half that without the replacement front sight.     The grips on the LCR worried me as potentially being bulky, but they have worked out very well.  

If one does have issues with recoil, one extremely low recoil load is the Federal 125 Nyclad load.

IF there is a round to fire indoors, in a revolver, for self defense, without a suppressor/ear protection, this is it.   And, while I can handle recoil, this round makes me ask "why".  

Over all, this is how the LCR in 38 SPL +P fits into things for me.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Just ordered my LCR and appreciate this info
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump.

More bump???  

Stuck.???
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Bump.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]
The LCR is so good I'm not sure why anybody buys J-frames anymore.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Same with me, I tried and tried to love the gun, but after a painful range session, mine was sold. It was like someone smashing the web of my hand with a hammer every time I shot it. Guess I should have man'ed up and bought the .22 version to shoot regularly.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Recoil is subjective and any light revolver with a stiff or magnum load will be more punishing. I have a pair of .357 LCR's and they are potent pocket rockets loaded with magnum rounds.
Its really the perfect pocket carry gun and as snag free as possible with a great trigger.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the .327 Mag LCR and the.22LR.  I love them both.  I load the .327 ammo hot and  for me recoil is still non-existent.  Great little wheelies.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#18]
. Bump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top