Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2015 7:09:51 PM EDT
Anybody owner them both or shot them both.  I have an itch for a .22 revolver just wondering if the 101 is worth the extra $
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't shot the LCR 22, so I am curious as well.

I have shot the SP101 22 and it is sweet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
My personal choice is the SP101.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Could you tell me why
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned both and personally liked the the LCR in 22lr better due to the overall simplicity, lighter weight and smaller size for easy concealment. The SP101 was fun to shoot but my only use was as a range gun.

Ask yourself what your intended purpose is for it and then decide what to get.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Had an LCR 22.  I couldn't hit squat with it.  Terribly inaccurate.  Yes, I'm sure I was part of the problem but I don't think I was all of it.

Our club has an older SP four inch.  Shoot it very well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
State your intended purpose and add a poll!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a sp101 in 357.  It would be very bulky and heavy in .22lr.   I had a S&W317 .22 kit gun, it was nice and light.  The problem is you probably want the single action trigger availability.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have owned 101's in 357 and 9mm and they were solid decent guns but even with some springs and work they only had fair triggers

I have shot a buddies LCR in 22 and it had a very nice trigger right out of the box. I do mean that literally , I was at the club range and the guy walked in and said "look what I just picked up"
I am a S&W guy and a trigger snob , the LCR trigger was every bit as good as my S&W 617.

As I understand it the LCRs have completely different guts and triggers than all the other Rugers

Also consider that a 22rf needs a heavy wack to set off the primer and any type of messing with a factory trigger on a rimfire revolver is likely to cause you grief . Take the factory trigger and learn it
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Could you tell me why
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could you tell me why

Gun is heavier, stainless, easier to handle, and much more accurate in my opinion...
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I am guessing this is splitting off the guys who mostly shoot single action who are having accuracy issues when they grab the double action guns like the LCR.

If one takes some time to learn the trigger a double action revolver with a good trigger ( the LCR has a excellent trigger ) can be surpriseingly
accurate.

If I didn't own a S&W 617 I would definitely be in the market for a Ruger LCR 22lr
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had my LCR .22LR about a year.
Perfect range practice.Last time out i was shooting 5 to 6 inch DA groups,
at the 7 yd. line.It would be fun to try one with a hammer,but they come out of a pocket really well as is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
No comparison between them.  Totally different guns and purposes.

The steel sp101 is a general purpose firearm of normal construction and reasonable accuracy.

The LCR series is an airweight short range belly gun.

A LCR .22LR is at best a practice tool if you have a LCR .38.  Or perhaps a CCW gun for the really recoil shy.

As a stand alone firearm, the LCR .22 is like a S&W M43.  Damned near useless due to heavy trigger pull and general difficutly of shooting accurately DA only.  The LCR series are better airweights than the S&W .38/22RFM/22LR series of 340/351C/43 however numbered.

For a comparison, note the rise in DA pull weight.

#9----------->LCR .38
#11-12------>LCR .22LR and LCR .22RFM
#12-13------>most centerfire J frame S&W
#14---------->S&W airweight .22s

The rimfire trigger pulls are heavier in both brands because either will tell you making the rimfires FIRE is harder than banging a centerfire primer in the light guns that move since they have so little inertia.

You gotta define the purpose and select accordingly.

For a .22, buy a Ruger SR22P and forget the wheel guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top