Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2015 3:44:29 PM EDT
Inspired by Lazy's LCP Log, I decided to do a log for my new LCP. Like Lazy's, my LCP is a stainless slide version. Hopefully others can add their own LCP logs so prospective buyers have an idea of known issues as well as remedies for such issues.

12/22/2014
-Received Ruger LCP with stainless slide
-Field stripped, cleaned, and lubed handgun
-Had difficulty seating the magazine without giving it a hard tap. This was with the finger groove base plate on the magazine. The flat base plate would not allow the magazine to seat at all
-Sanded extra material off of the finger groove base plate where it comes into contact with the frame. The magazine now seats without an issue
-Installed Hogue Handall Grip Sleeve

01/06/2015
-First range trip with my Ruger LCP
-Fired 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Aluminum cased 95gr. FMJ - Zero malfunctions
-Fired 50 rounds of Remington HTP 88gr JHP - Very noticeable muzzle flash/fireball - Noticed several times that the slide was, for a lack of better term, sluggish when returning to battery - Seven failures to return to battery
-Fired 10 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 90gr GDHP - One failure to feed from full magazine, three failures to return to battery
-All ammunition proved to be accurate at 7 yards
-Field stripped, cleaned, and lubed handgun
-Installed Wolff 13lb recoil springs
-110 rounds fired to date

01/11/2015
-Attempted to hand-cycle Gold Dot's through, many seemed to get caught on the rough surface of the feed ramp
-Hand polished feed ramp
-Was able to hand-cycle Gold Dot's without issue

01/17/2015
- Second range trip
- Fired 150 rounds of CCI Blazer Aluminum cased 95gr FMJ - Three failure to ejects during the first box of ammo. I think this was because of the heavier recoil spring and the ammo being on the weaker side.
- Also, during the first 50 rounds on this trip, I noticed that the take down pin was walking itself out. I popped the pin back in and did not have any issue during the rest of the range trip.
- Fired 25 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 90gr GDHP - One failure to eject on the 25th round. Most likely due to the gun being pretty filthy.
- 285 rounds fired to date

01/18/2015
- Field stripped, cleaned, and lubed handgun
- While cleaning, I noticed that a part of the head of the guide rod has been worn flat and is no longer round. Notice the shiny part in the picture below. I guess I will go ahead and order a Galloway Precision guide rod and Tandem-Kross take down pin to resolve the issues. I will be notifying Ruger of these issues so they will maybe start fixing some of these issues with their QC.

02/23/2015
-Third range trip
-Installed Galloway Precision guide rod and TandemKross tool-less takedown pin
-Fired 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Aluminum cased 95gr. FMJ - Zero malfunctions of any kind
-Remembered to take a photo of the accuracy I am capable of with it - All shots from 6 yards - Head shots were slow fire, body shots were more rapid - Not too bad for a pocket pistol with pretty shoddy sights in my opinion
-335 rounds fired to date

Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Post added for further testing
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Neat!

I am growing to suspect that this gun is excessively sensitive to chamber fouling.  Blazer's 9mm is notorious for leaving gritty residue, and don't know if that holds true with their .380 as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
01/17/2015
- Second range trip
- Fired 150 rounds of CCI Blazer Aluminum cased 95gr FMJ - Three failure to ejects during the first box of ammo. I think this was because of the heavier recoil spring and the ammo being on the weaker side.
- Also, during the first 50 rounds on this trip, I noticed that the take down pin was walking itself out. I popped the pin back in and did not have any issue during the rest of the range trip.
- Fired 25 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 90gr GDHP - One failure to eject on the 25th round. Most likely due to the gun being pretty filthy.
- 285 rounds fired to date
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
01/18/2015
- Field stripped, cleaned, and lubed handgun
- While cleaning, I noticed that a part of the head of the guide rod has been worn flat and is no longer round. Notice the shiny part in the picture below. I guess I will go ahead and order a Galloway Precision guide rod and Tandem-Kross take down pin to resolve the issues. I will be notifying Ruger of these issues so they will maybe start fixing some of these issues with their QC.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
It's too bad that you guys are having all of these troubles.

Make sure to put a good number of rounds through it before you carry it.  It's an arbitrary number but about 500 rounds with no malfunctions is good in my opinion.  If you have a malfunction figure out what caused it, resolve in, and start the count again.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Make sure to put a good number of rounds through it before you carry it.  It's an arbitrary number but about 500 rounds with no malfunctions is good in my opinion.  If you have a malfunction figure out what caused it, resolve in, and start the count again.
View Quote

I plan on putting more rounds through it before carrying it. Only thing holding me back is the cost of .380 ammo. When you do your 500 round testing, is that 500 rounds without cleaning or with intermittent cleaning? Never had any reliability issues with any of my other handguns.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I plan on putting more rounds through it before carrying it. Only thing holding me back is the cost of .380 ammo. When you do your 500 round testing, is that 500 rounds without cleaning or with intermittent cleaning? Never had any reliability issues with any of my other handguns.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I shoot 50 to 150 rounds and then clean and oil.  If you shoot 500 rounds without cleaning you're in the realm of torture testing and not serious testing to see if it will be reliable in your application, which is concealed carry of a clean and oiled firearm.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Personally I shoot 50 to 150 rounds and then clean and oil.  If you shoot 500 rounds without cleaning you're in the realm of torture testing and not serious testing to see if it will be reliable in your application, which is concealed carry of a clean and oiled firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree with this.  This is a carry pistol that you will rely on for about 6 rounds.  But it really needs to work for those 6 rounds!  For range testing, maybe 100 rounds or so is all you really need to test between cleanings.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#9]
My dad has an lcp he purchased a few (maybe 6) months ago as a pocket pistol, he's shot 2 boxes (100rounds) out of it until yesterday, he brought it over to the house to shoot some and on the 5th mag (7+6, 7+6, 6) it failed to extract, I cleared it of live ammo and tried cycling the slide a few times and it wouldn't pull the empty case out of the chamber, locked slide open and pointed the muzzle up gave it a little shake and the empty fell out.  Broke it down and discovered the "tooth" on the extractor was broken almost clean off. Anyone else had any issues with extractors on these pistols? Also how is rugers customer service on this? I have several of their firearms but have NEVER had an issue with them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
02/23/2015
-Third range trip
-Installed Galloway Precision guide rod and TandemKross tool-less takedown pin
-Fired 50 rounds of CCI Blazer Aluminum cased 95gr. FMJ - Zero malfunctions of any kind
-Remembered to take a photo of the accuracy I am capable of with it - All shots from 6 yards - Head shots were slow fire, body shots were more rapid - Not too bad for a pocket pistol with pretty shoddy sights in my opinion
-335 rounds fired to date

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top