Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2014 8:13:43 PM EDT
Just wanted to share my experience with anyone that might be looking for a gun for a beginner or recoil sensitive person.  I got my daughter an LC380 as her first handgun.  I wanted her to have a center fire weapon and while she can use my Glocks and Sigs in 9mm, recoil was slightly more than I wanted for her.

The LC380 was identical to the LC9 other than chambering.  We fired 250 rounds today with no jams, no brass in the face, and no limp wristing.  The slide was very easy for her to manipulate because of the reduced spring weight for the 380 cartridge.  Recoil was incredibly soft...just amazing.  Performance was typical center fire with no feeding problems like a .22lr might experience.  The trigger was long, but not heavy, which seemed to calm her down.

For anyone that didn't see a reason for this weapon between the LCP and the LC9, it is wonderful for a new shooter or anyone with weak hands.  If they make an LC380S I will buy it as soon as it is released.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
A KelTec P32 is also a excellent starter pistol. tiny sights but otherwise GTG.
Locked breech 32 is very easy to cycle by hand.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'm waiting on the LC380s also for the same reasons for the GF.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A KelTec P32 is also a excellent starter pistol. tiny sights but otherwise GTG.
Locked breech 32 is very easy to cycle by hand.
View Quote

I have had one of those before and I still have an LCP.  This is night and day different.  The larger and wider frame of the LC380 soaks up the recoil.  It's a great gun for a beginner and it will be an easy transition to a full sized 9mm in a year or two.  

Edit:  Oh, and the most important thing, it has a grip that you can get your whole hand on.  That is a big plus.

If they made an SR9C that was still locked breech and chambered in 380 but with an 8 or 9 pound recoil spring assembly I would have probably bought that instead.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#4]
It truly is a great gun! I purchased one for my wife as a step up from her old Walther P22. Fits her hand great and the recoil is super soft for her. Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to check out the new "s" series.  I pocket a moded lcp,  so it's a far better trigger then stock. But it still isn't striker smooth. I have been thinking about a shield but I wanna compare the new 9s. Also I like the idea of the 380s for my wife.  She is a recoil shy shooter so we have a Taurus pt132 milpro 32ap with CT gaurd as her night stand gun. I've never trusted that gun cause the first one was 50% failure to fire, it was replaced by Taurus after 3x repair. This one has gone bang 100% but I still just have that bad taste from the first one.  ridiculously Light recoil on it. But I like the idea of replacing it with a 380.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Well as a follow-up today we went back out and shot some more.  The gun is working well.  It is also good for me because with the double action hammer, I can "see" how far she is through each trigger pull if and when she flinches or anticipates any shot.  Today she worked on firing a magazine and then later tried to hold the gun steady and simply squeeze the trigger on an empty chamber.  She was able to see when she flinched.

The only problem we had was with some Winchester PDX-1 hollow points.  They were free rounds given to me by a friend.  The gun would feed until the last round and then the shape of the follower and ramp would cause the hollow tip of the projectile to catch the barrel hood causing a stoppage.  All ball ammo ran 100% and all hollow point did too as long as it was not the last round in the magazine.  This will not be an issue with me because it will not be a carry gun and even if I did carry it, everything under 9mm gets carried with FMJ for reliability.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]
One month later, a couple of shooting sessions later, the LC380 displays boring reliability with ball ammo.  It eats Winchester white box and steel cased Monarch rounds like candy.  Come on Ruger, make this gun in the Pro striker fired version without all the locks and safeties.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top