Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2014 8:09:01 AM EDT
Received an email yesterday in reference to Ruger's new release of the LC9s Pro, was expecting to be able to handle and possibly purchase one within the next 2 months once they hit distributors but it seems that Ruger had already gotten them to distributors before hand.  Will have one in hand tomorrow afternoon.

Really like the LC9s and my wife had picked it for her next carry gun, extremely happy they took the initiative and removed the un-needed safety features.

Removing the thumb safety and mag disconnect makes this gun near perfect, now for sights.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Received an email yesterday in reference to Ruger's new release of the LC9s Pro, was expecting to be able to handle and possibly purchase one within the next 2 months once they hit distributors but it seems that Ruger had already gotten them to distributors before hand.  Will have one in hand tomorrow afternoon.

Really like the LC9s and my wife had picked it for her next carry gun, extremely happy they took the initiative and removed the un-needed safety features.

Removing the thumb safety and mag disconnect makes this gun near perfect, now for sights.

<a href="http://s295.photobucket.com/user/brifol6111/media/3248.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm154/brifol6111/3248.jpg</a>
View Quote

Replace the plastic guide rod.  Mine broke and locked the slide up.  It's a serious liability.

ETA:  Here...

http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lc9-and-lc380/
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Replace the plastic guide rod.  Mine broke and locked the slide up.  It's a serious liability.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s295.photobucket.com/user/brifol6111/media/3248.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm154/brifol6111/3248.jpg</a>

Thank you for the heads up, just placed an order for one of These

Ruger LC9 & LC380 Black Stainless Guide Rod by American National Firearms

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be weary of that guide rod.  The new Ruger one has a cone shape at the end so that the spring doesn't get jammed up

The Galloway guide rod was Galloway's attempt to correct the original LC9s guide rod issues. Galloway decided to make it, before they found out Ruger was making a new revised guide rod. Ruger determined the original guide rod was causing problems and they designed a new one. Only the first few thousand LC9s models got the "bad" guide rod, and all since have been shipped with the redesigned guide rod, that corrects all the problems.

So the only reason to buy and install the Galloway guide rod is because you are unaware that if you call Ruger, they will send you the new guide rod for free, if you have the older style guide rod. The Galloway guide rod is just that, a recoil spring guide rod that was "supposed" to correct the issues. What you are posting indicates it does not solve the problems but makes it worse.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd be weary of that guide rod.  The new Ruger one has a cone shape at the end so that the spring doesn't get jammed up

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Galloway guide rod was Galloway's attempt to correct the original LC9s guide rod issues. Galloway decided to make it, before they found out Ruger was making a new revised guide rod. Ruger determined the original guide rod was causing problems and they designed a new one. Only the first few thousand LC9s models got the "bad" guide rod, and all since have been shipped with the redesigned guide rod, that corrects all the problems.

So the only reason to buy and install the Galloway guide rod is because you are unaware that if you call Ruger, they will send you the new guide rod for free, if you have the older style guide rod. The Galloway guide rod is just that, a recoil spring guide rod that was "supposed" to correct the issues. What you are posting indicates it does not solve the problems but makes it worse.

Is the redesigned guide rod made of plastic?  If it is, I would replace it. I don't believe the spring jammed on mine.  Half of the "rim" broke off, and the spring pushed the rod back up under the barrel.  I've fired mine so much with the new rod that the slide has gotten sloppy, and I've had no problems with the rod, or any other of the Galloway components.

ETA: FWIW, I consider the LC9 the biggest POS I've ever owned, other than a Taurus Slim.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Is the redesigned guide rod made of plastic?  If it is, I would replace it. I don't believe the spring jammed on mine.  Half of the "rim" broke off, and the spring pushed the rod back up under the barrel.  I've fired mine so much with the new rod that the slide has gotten sloppy, and I've had no problems with the rod, or any other of the Galloway components.

ETA: FWIW, I consider the LC9 the biggest POS I've ever owned, other than a Taurus Slim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the new exploded diagrams for the LC9s it appears they have switched to a captive spring system similar to a glock instead of above, when it comes in tomorrow I am going to take a look at it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new one is still plastic but the end looks like this:

I don't think there's any need to worry about the rim breaking off this one regardless of being made out of plastic.  Yes it is a captured spring as well. With the flat end the spring has to be oriented absolutely perfectly or the slide can get jammed up and/or not go fully into battery.  I had to send my original LC9s back to Ruger because the slide completely jammed up when I was trying to put it back together.  They sent it back with the new guide rod and I've had no problems since then.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Look at the new exploded diagrams for the LC9s it appears they have switched to a captive spring system similar to a glock instead of above, when it comes in tomorrow I am going to take a look at it.
View Quote

Yeah, looks like a progressive spring setup, which would be a huge improvement.  One of my biggest complaints was that the recoil was much worse than my PM9, or even my Shield .40.  A couple of mags through it would leave my hands shaking for an hour.  A heavier recoil spring helped a bunch.

ETA:  It looks like they've corrected most of what I dislike about it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Step in the right direction. Do they offer a non finger rest mag floor plate?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Step in the right direction. Do they offer a non finger rest mag floor plate?
View Quote

Magazine comes with both floor plates.

Installing a set of TFO sights and waiting on a Desantis Nemesis holster and will be packing up with 2 spare mags, 2 boxes critical duty 135gr bullets, a Murph's IWB holster for my wife's christmas present.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I should have waited.....

Can the LC9s  be modified as in remove the mag disconnect and safety?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I want the safety on mine but do want to remove the magazine disconnect safety. I will be watching for the responses....<><....:)
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I should have waited.....

Can the LC9s  be modified as in remove the mag disconnect and safety?
View Quote

Not sure but I know there is a huge market for the LC9s, atleast in my area. We sold 2 of them yesterday and 3 of them today. One of these was for my co-worker who bought the other LC9s pro that we received. I think there was only a ~$30 difference between used sold and new purchased. You may even be able to even it out on the EE.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want the safety on mine but do want to remove the magazine disconnect safety. I will be watching for the responses....<><....:)
View Quote

If it's anything like the original lc9, it's a piece of cake.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone w/ the new pro know if its +p+ rated? All my HP ammo is hot stuff. I didn't see this info on Rugers spec sheet online.
TIA,
John
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I would doubt it.  Its really the same gun as the LC9s which is not rated for +p+.  It's not even rated for a steady diet of +p.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Direct from the LC9S Manual included with the pistol:

Although the RUGER® LC9sTM pistol is capable of functioning with +P ammunition, a steady diet of +P ammunition will shorten the endurance life of this pistol. You should never shoot 9mm +P+ ammunition in your RUGER® LC9sTM. There are no SAAMI or CIP pressure limits on 9mm +P+ and use of this ammunition could result in serious injury. Do not use “+P+” ammunition.
Note on the LC9sTM: Do not use “+P+” ammunition.

Page 12 of the Manual
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
That guide rod won't work with a LC9s or pro unless you get a spring somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That guide rod won't work with a LC9s or pro unless you get a spring somewhere.
View Quote

Correct. They also completely replaced the recoil spring assembly from the Gen1 LC9s which was a non captured spring on rod to a full captured multi spring assembly. The new setup is much more robust and reliable.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I got to play with one in the LGS earlier this week. I was very pleasantly surprised at the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a student bring one to a pistol class. I was ringing the steel with it at 10 yards as quick as I could pull the trigger. I really liked it. I do wonder if it's worth getting the Pro over the safety version with that light of a trigger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a student bring one to a pistol class. I was ringing the steel with it at 10 yards as quick as I could pull the trigger. I really liked it. I do wonder if it's worth getting the Pro over the safety version with that light of a trigger.
View Quote

With a proper holster and practice the safety is not an issue.  My wife has always practiced no safety but correct draw and presentation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly it depends on your habits. If you're used to 1911 or cz style safeties then it's not a huge step to wipe the safety as you present. It is a light trigger, and since I'm become accustomed to cz/1911 style safeties I've not found it to be a major handicap.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Honestly it depends on your habits. If you're used to 1911 or cz style safeties then it's not a huge step to wipe the safety as you present. It is a light trigger, and since I'm become accustomed to cz/1911 style safeties I've not found it to be a major handicap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I am used to and prefer the 1911 style safety and with the nice trigger on my LC9s I much prefer the safety. I do wish ot had no magazine disconnect safety though, but that is something I can learn to live with....<><....:)
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:57:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I just picked on up last week.  Good fit and feel.  Good trigger.  I wish reset was shorter.  Overall, its nice
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like the AIWB holster that was recommended by another member. Also, the third pic is after I put on the Talon grips(rubberized). I cannot recommend these grips enough for the LC9s Pro.

Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:14:56 AM EDT
[#26]
LC9S PRO = The very best trigger of any pocket pistol I've ever shot!  I measured one today with an RCBS Trigger Pull Scale and it was right at 4# when tested at the same angle that my trigger finger pulls the trigger.  With a CT Laser the PRO is right at the top of the pocket pistol self-defense pyramid.  In my opinion it is NUMERO UNO!!!!

ADDENDUM, RE: PROBLEMS:  (1) The mag release sticks up so high and unprotected that it can be accidently bumped by your thumb during recoil resulting in the mag dropping out, depending of course on your gripping style. This problem needs to be corrected by Ruger.  (2) The slide stop lever takes so much thumb-force that it is almost impossible to drop the slide with your thumb.  (NOTE: #2 can be partially corrected by tapping the slide-stop lever with a nylon or wooden gunsmith hammer and dropping the slide that way about 50 times, or until it wears in enough to allow dropping the slide with just thumb pressure.)
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 3:45:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree, I am used to and prefer the 1911 style safety and with the nice trigger on my LC9s I much prefer the safety. I do wish ot had no magazine disconnect safety though, but that is something I can learn to live with....<><....:)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The magazine safety is pretty easily removed.  There are videos on YouTube that walk you through it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Picked mine up today from the consignment section of the LGS for $300.00!!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I really like the AIWB holster that was recommended by another member. Also, the third pic is after I put on the Talon grips(rubberized). I cannot recommend these grips enough for the LC9s Pro.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/endis40/IMG_0495_zpstm3vrzav.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/endis40/IMG_0506_zpsqyypqwd2.jpg

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w490/endis40/IMG_0510_zpsucvlgqsv.jpg
View Quote

What is the brand of that holster?  I'd like to get one.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Picked mine up today from the consignment section of the LGS for $300.00!!  
View Quote

I hope it burns when you pee.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Kusiak Leather

http://www.kusiakleather.com/store.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:58:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Kusiak Leather

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Kusiak Leather

Thank you Sir!  I need one for my LC9 and Sig 938
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
LC9S PRO = The very best trigger of any pocket pistol I've ever shot!
View Quote

I take it you never shot the Bersa Bp9.  Better trigger & much shorter reset than the LC9s Pro.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I take it you never shot the Bersa Bp9.  Better trigger & much shorter reset than the LC9s Pro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LC9S PRO = The very best trigger of any pocket pistol I've ever shot!
The extra mags at $54 a pop killed any chance of me buying one of those.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#35]
...  have to admit, the Ruger LC9s Pro is one of the very best pocket pistols I've ever owned - and I buy almost every decent one available

Last one added was a G42. None come close to the advantages of the Ruger LC9s Pro

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#36]
I have to agree. Ruger did their homework with this one. The trigger pull is very smooth and the trigger face is wider. I like it more than my Shield.
Link Posted: 4/10/2015 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I got my LC9s Pro a couple of weeks ago and so far I love it.  Great trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top