Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2014 7:09:05 PM EDT
Got a brand new SR22 recently.  It will fire the first round, eject, but won’t feed the next round into the chamber.  Once I rack the slide again it will fire the next few round fine.

What is the most likely reason for this malfunction?  Here is what I’m thinking
1st) just need a breaking in
2nd) dirty feed ramp
3rd) bad ammo, I was using CCI, Federal, and Winchester.

ruger by gundamzaku999, on Flickr
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I always go with faulty or finicky ammo.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean and lube. Polish the feed ramp. Once it's slicked up, it will definitely feed better.
There's a ~1/16" shoulder on the back of the guide rod. Force the recoil spring up onto it. It can be tricky to get it on there and stay. (Found this tip on either Ruger Forum or Rimfire Central, it seemed to help).
Lock the slide back and store it for awhile.
- All of these will help.

Once you've run a few hundred rounds of full-power loads through, it will run like a dream.
Mine likes Federal 525 packs.
If you have a boresnake, run the end up through your mag well and then into your barrel.  Pull about 1/3 of the way through, and then put some tension on the thick end with the front of your pinkey finger trapping it against the front of the mag well while gripping the pistol. This lets the boresnake polish the feed ramp as you pull it the rest of the way through.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine did the same kind of thing when it was new. Only liked lead nosed ammo and FTF every 5 or 6 rounds. It will fix itself after a few rounds
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top