Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2014 12:48:47 AM EDT
I have a Ruger speed six stainless .357 magnum that ive been thinking about selling. I've done some lurking online and seem to find that a lot of people like and would like to get their hands on one, but cannot seem to find them. Anyone mind sharing some knowledge on this pistol? the serial number is 157-xxxx .....manufactor date ? I would post pics but I'm not sure how to do so.
Thanks !
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
157-xxxxx puts it at 1981 manufacture date.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Good guns, strong, durable.  Original grips suck, everybody replaces them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for the feedback. I actually did swap out the wood grips for pachmayrs which made the gun feel REALLY nice in the hand and alot more comfortable to shoot. I rarely shoot this gun and have been kicking around the idea of selling it. Any feedback on the worth of this fine pistol? I would like to give a good deal to someone's but I also don't want to get cheated either lol!! Agains thanks for all y'all's great advice
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#4]
What length is the barrel? The ones that I have seen going for good money have been the 2 3/4 inch barreled Speed-Six's. The 4 inch do not seem to get the same love as the shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What length is the barrel? The ones that I have seen going for good money have been the 2 3/4 inch barreled Speed-Six's. The 4 inch do not seem to get the same love as the shorter barrels.
View Quote

It actually is the 2 3/4 barrel. I will post pics here shortly.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:00:04 AM EDT
[#6]

http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/Djsipp1/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps83f6131e.jpg.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Interest in the Speed Six has increased recently.  Not sure why.  Historically resale value has been a weakness of Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interest in the Speed Six has increased recently.  Not sure why.  Historically resale value has been a weakness of Ruger.
View Quote

I've noticed that also. Seems like people praise Ruger's products and boast how well built and reliable they are ( particularly the revolvers) but when it come to resale, you almost get insulted with some of the offers you get. Since I made this post, I've seen very few on GB and other site that are asking $425-$475. Is that a reasonable price?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've noticed that also. Seems like people praise Ruger's products and boast how well built and reliable they are ( particularly the revolvers) but when it come to resale, you almost get insulted with some of the offers you get. Since I made this post, I've seen very few on GB and other site that are asking $425-$475. Is that a reasonable price?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's becoming the going rate.  Not saying its reasonable but for a nice stainless Speed Six that's what you're going to have to pay.  I picked up a very clean blue Service Six four inch about six months ago for $365 and considered that a pretty good deal.  Add in 357, short barrel, and stainless and mid 400's isn't out of line.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#11]
For many years the market was flooded with police trade ins and consumers selling their inventory to move to the newer auto pistols (Glock).  Big glut of revolvers, but that has dried up now.  Rugers were always ranked lower than the Colts/S&W.  So the prices were lower.  
Now that all of those trade ins have dried up, and most new production models have either ceased or dramatically risen in price, the prices for used revolvers have been climbing.
It was only a few years ago that new Rugers were $350-$400 and used were half that.  
People are rediscovering these older Rugers and how excellent they still are. Still a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 4:00:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's becoming the going rate.  Not saying its reasonable but for a nice stainless Speed Six that's what you're going to have to pay.  I picked up a very clean blue Service Six four inch about six months ago for $365 and considered that a pretty good deal.  Add in 357, short barrel, and stainless and mid 400's isn't out of line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for all the feedback guys. I think i will list it on EE and see what i can get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top