Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2014 8:24:45 PM EDT
Ran 150 rounds through my new lc9s this evening and brought my Nano and Shield to compare.  
I bought 2 extra mags for the LC9 from Midway and brought them too.  One mag is bad; I had repeated problems with the slide not locking back on the last round.  
Also, when dry firing the slide creeps forward slightly when you pull the trigger.  This is odd but didn't seem to interfere with the functionality of the firearm.  
Ruger says their gun is ready to fire out of the box so I did not break the pistol down prior to shooting.
The trigger is light but difficult to "stage".  It lacks a definitive wall to stage the trigger so I just pulled straight through it. I shot about 2" high at 7 yards using a combat hold.  I think the natural point of aim for me puts the shots high because when I paid attention to the rear sight my poa came down a bit.
The reset is actually more present than the break so go figure.  I did short stroke the reset a few times but simply paying attention ended this problem for me.  
I thought the trigger pull would be lighter than the Shield but it really isn't.  The Shield has that aforementioned wall but the break feels about the same as the LC9. The Shields reset is much shorter than the LC9 but I was able to shoot both pretty fast and accurately.  The Shield is faster to target for me.  The LC9S' s sights are much to small for my aging eyes. I swear. Sometimes I felt like I was guessing where the gun was aiming. .  Both guns shoot and feel like larger pistols.  You can be really accurate with these pistols ( I'm a big fan of sub compact single stack nines and own many).  
I pocket carried all 3 and was surprised how the LC9s disappears in a holster.  It's rounded edges really make the gun feel small in the pocket even compared to the smaller ( but blockier) Nano.  
A couple little nags about the LC9S?   Well, the magazine issue is kind of a bummer and what's with Ruger only giving you one mag anyway?   Mags for the gun are $30 so the Shield and Nano are better deals even if they are being sold at the same price.  
The slide release was so small and stiff I couldn't use it. I ended up sling shooting the slide forward.  
I had a few problems dropping mags on the LC9 because the ambi button on the other side of the grip hit my fingers , causing the mag to stick.  I do this on My G26 too.  
Lastly, the sights are too small.   That said, knowing that sights are so commonly upgraded Ruger did a good job making the sights easy to remove opposed to the Shield.  Man, the Shields sights are a pia to remove!  
All in all it's a neat little gun.  I can see why the original Hammer fired LC9 became so popular.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Break-down for cleaning is a bit of a pain. If they're going to require a tool or punch they should supply one. The diameter of a Glock armorer's tool is a hair too big.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Break-down for cleaning is a bit of a pain. If they're going to require a tool or punch they should supply one. The diameter of a Glock armorer's tool is a hair too big.
View Quote

I used  a finishing nail.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:21:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I noticed the slide sticking issue on mine only happens when I'm short cycling the slide to dry fire it, if I rack it normally it goes fully into battery like its supposed to.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Shooting just a tad high.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent report.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Ran 150 rounds through my new lc9s this evening and brought my Nano and Shield to compare.

I bought 2 extra mags for the LC9 from Midway and brought them too. One mag is bad; I had repeated problems with the slide not locking back on the last round.

Also, when dry firing the slide creeps forward slightly when you pull the trigger. This is odd but didn't seem to interfere with the functionality of the firearm.

Ruger says their gun is ready to fire out of the box so I did not break the pistol down prior to shooting.

The trigger is light but difficult to "stage". It lacks a definitive wall to stage the trigger so I just pulled straight through it. I shot about 2" high at 7 yards using a combat hold. I think the natural point of aim for me puts the shots high because when I paid attention to the rear sight my poa came down a bit.
View Quote

The reset is actually more present than the break so go figure. I did short stroke the reset a few times but simply paying attention ended this problem for me.

I thought the trigger pull would be lighter than the Shield but it really isn't. The Shield has that aforementioned wall but the break feels about the same as the LC9. The Shields reset is much shorter than the LC9 but I was able to shoot both pretty fast and accurately. The Shield is faster to target for me. The LC9S' s sights are much to small for my aging eyes. I swear. Sometimes I felt like I was guessing where the gun was aiming. . Both guns shoot and feel like larger pistols. You can be really accurate with these pistols ( I'm a big fan of sub compact single stack nines and own many).

I pocket carried all 3 and was surprised how the LC9s disappears in a holster. It's rounded edges really make the gun feel small in the pocket even compared to the smaller ( but blockier) Nano.

A couple little nags about the LC9S? Well, the magazine issue is kind of a bummer and what's with Ruger only giving you one mag anyway? Mags for the gun are $30 so the Shield and Nano are better deals even if they are being sold at the same price.

The slide release was so small and stiff I couldn't use it. I ended up sling shooting the slide forward.

I had a few problems dropping mags on the LC9 because the ambi button on the other side of the grip hit my fingers , causing the mag to stick. I do this on My G26 too.

Lastly, the sights are too small. That said, knowing that sights are so commonly upgraded Ruger did a good job making the sights easy to remove opposed to the Shield. Man, the Shields sights are a pia to remove!

All in all it's a neat little gun. I can see why the original Hammer fired LC9 became so popular.

Ruger might say the pistol doesn't need to be broken down but your damn post did.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Font size is a personal thing.  If your eyes can't read average size print you make it larger.
Paragraphs do not need double spacing.  Not sure what kind of education you received but it wasn't a good one.  . My post was written and formatted properly so please, go pound sand

Is this spaced ok for you?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:25:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The sight adjustment allen head screw takes a 5/64" allen wrench which also works for the take down pin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought a new LC9S yesterday.  Today I was only able to put 50 rounds through it but it ran flawlessly.  It shot 2" groups at 15 yards shooting offhand.  Shot 2" below POA with 115 gr. American Eagle but dead on with 147 gr.  Shot best with 147 gr. Speer Gold Dot.  Now I need to decide what to do with my LC9 DAO with laser.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice. I have a Nano myself and have been considering an lc9s after playing with one at the lgs. The trigger feels nice. Also considering an lcp. I bought a glock 42 on impulse because it's awesome and shoots great but the lcp would be better for Pocket carry. The Lc9s and lcp would make a great combo.

May have to go to the store tomorrow now and get one, although I should probably test this xdm I just got first.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Your right, the LCP and LC9 make a great pair for concealed carry!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Your right, the LCP and LC9 make a great pair for concealed carry!
<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jdmarksberry/media/IMG_0144_zps02f89ea7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/jdmarksberry/IMG_0144_zps02f89ea7.jpg</a>
View Quote

A great family picture. They look just like mine....<><....;)
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Great write up. Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice. I have a Nano myself and have been considering an lc9s after playing with one at the lgs. The trigger feels nice. Also considering an lcp. I bought a glock 42 on impulse because it's awesome and shoots great but the lcp would be better for Pocket carry. The Lc9s and lcp would make a great combo.

May have to go to the store tomorrow now and get one, although I should probably test this xdm I just got first.

View Quote

I sold my Nano because I could not trust it due to FTFs.  How do the Nano and LC9s triggers compare?
I actually thought the trigger on the Nano was too long of a pull, but I shot the pistol really well, when it worked.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone else having any issues with the mag being ejected on its own, I've pocket carried it twice now and several times found the mag had been partially released. I don't carry anything else in that pocket.

I initially thought it was my holster, which is a Desantis Nemesis....but yesterday when I got home I made sure the mag was seated before I put the gun on my nightstand and when I came back a couple hours later the mag was halfway out again.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:13:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Well. I just got my carry license and purchased the LC9s as my first handgun. I just impulse bought it. My initial plan was to buy a Kahr CM9, but after reading some great things about the trigger I just did it. I don't have a ton of experience shooting handguns so I don't know how much any of this will mean to anyone here.

I hit the range for the first time on my own with no idea what to expect. Shot 70 rounds of Blazer Brass through it without a single malfunction. I took the gun down prior to its first range visit. I did not clean it however.

The LC9s fits just alright in my hand. Something along the lines of a Glock 26 fits my hand much better (the Glock 26 is the only other pistol I've shot more with than this now). With no formal training and just watching some instructional youtube videos, I'm sure my grip and "form" leave a lot to be desired. I found myself readjusting my grip between shots. I could however do quick followup shots accurately without adjusting. It just didn't feel right. I was using the flush base plates on both magazines. I purchased one extra with my handgun.

The sights. I had a REALLY hard time seeing them indoors. Between the crappy targets I was using and that, most of my shots were just guesses. I need to take a picture, but my rear sights, the white dots aren't even fully painted. They are like half a dot and a 3/4 dot. Honestly, I didn't even think to check it walking out of the gun store. I called ahead, they had it in a box for me ready to go. So I don't know what's up with that... Shooting, my first two magazines were the best of the bunch. All of my shots were consistently high right slightly and grouped tightly. I could barely make out where the shots were landing, so no adjustments were made while shooting. Just aimed for center every shot.

So far I like it. I don't have much to compare it to yet. I definitely prefer shooting the Glock 26, but I put that almost in a completely different class of gun. I need to do some work with my grip and maybe some physical work to the grips of the gun to combat me having to readjust between shots. Also, I need to call Ruger and see what's up with the sights. I wouldn't mind replacing those completely with some better ones though.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I installed Xs big dots on mine because the stock sights are way too small.  I chose the big dots because I wanted to try something different; I already have pistols with Trijicon sights and Truglo TFO sights.  The big dots are fast to acquire but are not target sights by any stretch.  
I have over 500 rounds through the LC9S and have drawn the conclusion that Ruger did something amazing with this gun.  They managed to build a cheap gun that doesn't shoot like a cheap gun.  Everything about this gun reeks of cheapness.  The frame is flimsy and looks like it's made of the same material a Home Depot bucket is made of.  
The rails don't even look like metal and the entire frame twists to the touch.
The recoil spring looks like a  child's toy.  When installing the slide back on to the frame you have to push the recoil spring up because it sags in the middle.  
The finish on the slide looks thin .  The entire pistol looks like it would break if you dropped it.  
That said, mine has not had a single failure and has shot pretty consistently.  
Go figure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Finally got to take mine out for a test drive this morning.

It's not bad. It's not great but it's not bad. I'm realistic in that it was made to do and its price point.

The trigger is certainly better than its predecessor but it's still somewhat long. The guy three benches down brought a brand new M&P Shield 9mm and each shot a magazine through the other person's pistol. The Shield fits a bit better in my hand and the fit and finish are better than the LC9s but the Ruger's trigger is a bit better.

Ammo performance

All groups were about 2" above POA at 7 yards using standing modified weaver stance. Weather was ungodly humid and was fighting salty perspiration running in my eyes as well as having to shoot looking into the sun.

50 rounds Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ - had one horizontal "stovepipe". Kind of snappy.

50 rounds Blazer Brass 115gr FMJ - no feed issues Snappier than the 124 grain

30 rounds reloads: RMR 124gr RN plated seconds with 4.2 grains Titegroup (loaded to jacketed specs) @ 1.155" COAL. 2 horizontal stovepipes and one round would not fully chamber.

80 rounds reloads The Blue Bullets 125gr RN with 5.5gr Power Pistol @ 1.130" COAL. No stoppages, nice snappy recoil and much flash/report. Best accuracy of all. Lots of fun.

Did not shoot any JHP's today but will do so next week after I've loaded up some 124gr (all I have now is 115gr and 115gr +P).

Link Posted: 8/23/2014 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Font size is a personal thing.  If your eyes can't read average size print you make it larger.
Paragraphs do not need double spacing.  Not sure what kind of education you received but it wasn't a good one.  . My post was written and formatted properly so please, go pound sand

View Quote

This post is fine.  Your first post was a PITA to read for us ole pharts to read.  2-4 lines of text at a time are plenty before a blank line.  Education doesn't have a dayum thing to do with eyesight.  Go pound sand yourself!

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This post is fine.  Your first post was a PITA to read for us ole pharts to read.  2-4 lines of text at a time are plenty before a blank line.  Education doesn't have a dayum thing to do with eyesight.  Go pound sand yourself!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks. I'll continue using basic 8th grade sentence/paragraph structure.  I think it's wrong to modify basic education to suit the minority which in this case is a couple old guys with bad  eyes. The burden should fall squarely on the shoulders of the old guy.
You probably should avoid the LC9S as it has very small sights.  
Thanks for your awesome contribution to this thread.
Go pound sand.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#23]
We have two - the original hammer fired and the new "s" - and both have been solid dependable performers.  It's by far my favorite carry gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I forgot to mention that my new LC9s tosses brass like you wouldn't believe esp. factory stuff. I think the Tokarev is tame by comparison!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I called Ruger today because 2 of the 3 mags I have aren't working out all that great.  One drops all by itself and the other doesn't lock the slide back on the last round (In case anyone is interested one mag was made in USA, the other in Italy).  Ruger is sending me two new mags with a return envelope.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I called Ruger today because 2 of the 3 mags I have aren't working out all that great.  One drops all by itself and the other doesn't lock the slide back on the last round (In case anyone is interested one mag was made in USA, the other in Italy).  Ruger is sending me two new mags with a return envelope.
View Quote

Is the mag drop issue a magazine flaw or mag release flaw?
I shot mine today and the mag dropped (twice) enough to not feed a round. I'm left handed, so I'm not sure if it's because my hand partly covers the mag release or if the mag is to blame.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#27]
It is my understanding it's a common problem.  Ruger told me it's a mag issue and I already received my replacement Mags, will shoot it again at some point this week.  
I suggest calling Ruger if your mags are dropping.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:51:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It is my understanding it's a common problem.  Ruger told me it's a mag issue and I already received my replacement Mags, will shoot it again at some point this week.  
View Quote

I just called Ruger and they're sending me a shipping label to ship the gun back to them. Why didn't they ship me a new mag like everybody else here?  
Maybe not a mag issue, but gun related.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I just called Ruger and they're sending me a shipping label to ship the gun back to them. Why didn't they ship me a new mag like everybody else here?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They gave me both options, I opted for the new mag and for now that seems to have fixed it.

FWIW The crap mag I had said made in USA, the one I have now that works is made in Italy, so that's going to make buying a spare mag or 3 a pain in the ass for me if the only mags that work are made in Italy, I have nowhere local to look at them before I buy and online doesn't differentiate between the 2.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I got a 9 round extended magazine for mine yesterday and the slide doesn't lock back on it.  Comparing it to my original one there is a very obvious difference in the cut out on the follower.  I haven't tried swapping them around to see if that's the only problem or not.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#31]
My friend picked up a LC9s the other day and I got a chance to fondle it. I didn't get a chance to shoot it but it felt great in my hands. What I was really impressed with was the new trigger. It was very crisp for a striker fired gun.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I just got my LC9S back. They replaced the guide rod assembly, magazine latch and latch spring. Also repaired grip frame. ?
Awesome service!  Now to see if the fix works.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#33]
If anyone needs a holster for their new LC9s I just got one of these last week and it is amazing.  it looks like they dropped the price another $10 since I ordered too: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/676720/desantis-intruder-inside-the-waistband-holster-right-hand-ruger-lc9-kydex-and-leather-black
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 5:25:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Rec mine this week and took it too an idpa match to try it out. Had meant to only shoot it for a stage or two, but ended up being so much fun that I shot the entire match with it. Reloading is a bit clumsy with the thin mags, and the small slide release, but otherwise it is very accurate. And the trigger pull is incredible.

Anyone else notice that the mags don't seem to drop free consistently?

Pretty impressive for a small pocket gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone else notice that the mags don't seem to drop free consistently?
View Quote

After about 150 rds mine was doing that and not locking the slide back.  Ruger is sending me a new mag. The other fix is to send it in and they replace the grip frame. We will try the new mag first.

200 rds,  only one weird malfunction, the slide closed without stripping a round from the mag and I got a click. When my mag is dissembled, the follower gets hung up about a half inch down from the top of mag. You literally have to push it up with a tool or something, it wont slide freely.

The trigger on mine isn't that great IMO, very hard to find the break but otherwise a nice shooting little pistol. I need more range time with this trigger to see if its a keeper or not.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I took my LC9s to the range today and gave it the ultimate test.  I had 70 Winchester white box rounds to get rid of
so I fired them first.  The pistol is very easy to shoot accurately with the great trigger and ate up the first 50 or so
without a hiccup.  In the last 20 I had 2 failures to extract.  I locked the slide back and dropped the magazine, tipped
the pistol back and the empties just fell out both times.  I then fired 20 rounds of Federal Hydro Shok without any
problems.  I'll keep carrying my G26 untill I can fire enough SD rounds through the Ruger to trust my life with it.

Actually I am blaming the WWB for the FTEs.  I have 200 rounds of S&B to try, if they all work without a problem it's
probably good to go.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:53:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I took my LC9s to the range today and gave it the ultimate test.  I had 70 Winchester white box rounds to get rid of
so I fired them first.  The pistol is very easy to shoot accurately with the great trigger and ate up the first 50 or so
without a hiccup.  In the last 20 I had 2 failures to extract.  I locked the slide back and dropped the magazine, tipped
the pistol back and the empties just fell out both times.  I then fired 20 rounds of Federal Hydro Shok without any
problems.  I'll keep carrying my G26 untill I can fire enough SD rounds through the Ruger to trust my life with it.

Actually I am blaming the WWB for the FTEs.  I have 200 rounds of S&B to try, if they all work without a problem it's
probably good to go.
View Quote

With these small 9 ' s I've noticed it's best to break them in with 124 or 147g ammo. They are pretty stiff new and usually need a couple hundreds rounds through them before they will cycle lighter loads properly. Just my experience with several small guns. I also picked up a tip on here about locking the slide back for a week. I never do it that long but I usually do a couple days.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No thanks. I'll continue using basic 8th grade sentence/paragraph structure.  I think it's wrong to modify basic education to suit the minority which in this case is a couple old guys with bad  eyes. The burden should fall squarely on the shoulders of the old guy.
Go pound sand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go pound sand.

Comments cancelled.  I don't want to join your cat fight after all.....

ETA: OP you are pretty new here to have such an abrasive attitude.  Your critic is new here too, but he tempered the conversation with his old guy qualifications.  OP, you are not long for this board if you don't cool it.  I'm just saying.....

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:48:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Derailed and no longer techical related
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top