Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 6:18:50 PM EDT
Finally a LC9 with a good trigger pull? A striker fired Lc9!!  Hope it is as good as it sounds
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  I've got one and I shot it yesterday.  The trigger is very much like a good double action revolver.  Smooth all the way through.  Let it all the way out and repeat.

Otherwise, the gun really remains unchanged, which I think was a wise call on Ruger's part.  No sense in changing things up so existing holsters, etc won't work.

Let me know if there's anything I can tell you about or take pictures of and I'll see if I can't accommodate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#2]
How did you get your hands on one already? It just got released today didn't it? Is the retail price going to be the same?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:02:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did you get your hands on one already? It just got released today didn't it? Is the retail price going to be the same?
View Quote

Guns are shipping.  There are probably ten or fifteen of them listed on gunbroker currently.  Retail price is the same as the LC9 at $449.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Guns are shipping.  There are probably ten or fifteen of them listed on gunbroker currently.  Retail price is the same as the LC9 at $449.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm.  Figured that by dropping the LCI they might've dropped the price a few bucks.  Oh well, give it some time.  They'll be on slickguns in the mid $300 range before you know it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Im an old revolver guy so the long double action trigger pull of the LC-9 doesn't bother me at all, I could have done without the LCI !
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:54:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im an old revolver guy so the long double action trigger pull of the LC-9 doesn't bother me at all, I could have done without the LCI !
View Quote

An "old revolver guy" should find himself right at home with the new 9s.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#8]
So the trigger is better?
I may have to find one to look at, the trigger kept me away before.
I don't mind long and even heavy as long as it's clean. I don't know if I can bring myself to abandon my LCR as summer EDC though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So the trigger is better?
I may have to find one to look at, the trigger kept me away before.
I don't mind long and even heavy as long as it's clean. I don't know if I can bring myself to abandon my LCR as summer EDC though.
View Quote

Well, I think you'll like the 9S's trigger if you get a chance to handle one.  It is very "revolver."
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm confused, shouldn't the old LC9's trigger be like a revolver and the new one is supposed to be like a Glock trigger?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm confused, shouldn't the old LC9's trigger be like a revolver and the new one is supposed to be like a Glock trigger?
View Quote

Well, yes and no.  Trigger pulls are very similar on the two models even though one is hammer fired and the other is striker fired.

The new striker model has a fairly long trigger pull but it is free of any real crunch or creep.  The reset is also very long so you get the same long yet smooth trigger shot after shot.  The LC-9 (from what I remember,  I haven't fired my sample in awhile) had sort of a stacking trigger pull that had a pretty good amount of overtravel after the sear release.

The new "S" variant actually has a pretty decent trigger and is probably better than is really needed on a "last ditch effort" pistol.  

I don't know what Ruger's plans are but I can't see the need to continue to produce the LC-9 alongside the 9S.  I predict the hammer-fired gun will be discontinued at a future date.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 2:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Making them collector guns?
View Quote

I wouldn't put any stock in my prediction.  It's just a guess.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up an LC9s this morning.  We already have a raspberry colored hammer fired LC9 that I've put hundreds of rounds through without a single issue, and I was happy with the trigger on the original LC9, and it shot very accurately and easily for me.

Although I have not yet live fired the LC9s, I've done a fair amount of dry firing with it today (the owners manual says dry fire is okay).  The LC9s trigger is lighter, engages earlier, and the reset seems to be shorter.  Overall it's a very nice piece.  The manual safety on the LC9s (at least on my example) seems to disengage easier than the original LC9, and I am not so sure that I like that.  Also, the LC9s dropped the loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide  - I guess too many folks complained that it slowed down their high speed tactical moves. If I had a choice I would have kept the loaded chamber indicator on the LC9s.

Many years ago I had an ignorant snobbish dislike for Ruger - I suppose because their handguns were always basic and affordable. I'm now a big fan of this company, and I tip my hat to them for producing what is now my favorite carry gun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just picked up an LC9s this morning.  We already have a raspberry colored hammer fired LC9 that I've put hundreds of rounds through without a single issue, and I was happy with the trigger on the original LC9, and it shot very accurately and easily for me.

Although I have not yet live fired the LC9s, I've done a fair amount of dry firing with it today (the owners manual says dry fire is okay).  The LC9s trigger is lighter, engages earlier, and the reset seems to be shorter.  Overall it's a very nice piece.  The manual safety on the LC9s (at least on my example) seems to disengage easier than the original LC9, and I am not so sure that I like that.  Also, the LC9s dropped the loaded chamber indicator on the top of the slide  - I guess too many folks complained that it slowed down their high speed tactical moves. If I had a choice I would have kept the loaded chamber indicator on the LC9s.

Many years ago I had an ignorant snobbish dislike for Ruger - I suppose because their handguns were always basic and affordable. I'm now a big fan of this company, and I tip my hat to them for producing what is now my favorite carry gun.
View Quote

The safety on my S also seems a bit easier to disengage than on my original model. I didn't have a problem with the old one as far as getting it off goes but it did require a change in grip and/or the use of the offhand thumb to reengage.

The LCI worked and it didn't bother me since it was simple and didn't really cause any problems. Still, I always prefer a visual and physical check of the chamber to verify loaded or unloaded status.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#16]
LGS here got in one LC9-S and it stayed in the inventory for about 30 seconds.

(actually it was a special order for someone)
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I found this review to be informative, with some extra specs that may be of interest:

Review at realguns.com

Options are always welcome, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope it doesn't cause problems down the road but I think it is a mistake that Ruger didn't somehow design the pistol to be disassembled without pulling the trigger.  

As it is now, Ruger includes a bright colored plastic block that is inserted into the mag well so the trigger can be pulled.  Pulling the trigger releases the striker from the sear and allows the slide to be removed.  Being that this pistol has a magazine disconnect, Ruger included the block.  

That's all well and good but eventually someone is going to want to take this pistol apart on the kitchen table or in the bedroom or whatever and won't have the little plastic block handy.  They'll decide to use a loaded magazine and that's when the issues will arise.  

I know we're all thinking that nobody is stupid enough to use a fully loaded magazine to take the gun apart but I bet someone will do it and have an ND.

Please don't be "that guy!"
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I handled one the other day and the trigger was much better than the older LC9. Much lighter and shorter. The next guy who handled it bought it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I just picked one up this evening.  The trigger feels really nice, can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I just picked one up this evening.  The trigger feels really nice, can't wait to shoot it.
View Quote
Ordered one from Bud's today. $351 shipped.

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Bought an LC9s at the fun show this past weekend.

Price ODT was $355

Trigger is nice. Takedown requires the use of a nail, paperclip, or some sort of punch. Wish it came with two magazines.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#23]
You guys are BAAAD!!! I have been carrying either my Glock 30s or my Ruger LCP for work daily for a while now and was pretty happy. I have been following this thread and stopped by my LGS on the way home from playing golf about an hour ago. I foolishly asked if he had a LC9s in stock and he smiled and pulled one from the safe. It was not even in the display case yet. I tried it and the trigger was GREAT!!! Not wanting to lose that gun with the great trigger I shelled out $360 (OTD) and it came home with me. Now I have to shoot it, get a decent pocket holster for it along with an extra magazine. Once it proves reliable it will join the rotation. With cooler weather coming up and getting out of shorts and golf shirts and into warmer larger clothing I think it will get some use, both for work and for off duty....<><....:)

I have found out that XS Big Dots do not make a set of Big Dot sights for the LC9/LC9s with tritium in the rear sight. They only make them with a tritium from sight and a white line rear sight. They told me there is not enough metal in the rear sight to meet the minimum specs set by the Gov't for the use of a radioactive substance...:(
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Just paid $375 plus tax for mine at a LGS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#25]
What about carry ammo? It's not +P rated.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:53:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What about carry ammo? It's not +P rated.
View Quote

The manual says, "Although the LC9s is capable of functioning  with +P ammo, a steady diet of +P will shorten the endurance life of this pistol".
Also, says do not ever shoot +P+ ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I am thinking about either Remington Golden Sabre or Hornady Critical duty (+P). I would not worry about shooting a +P occasionally or even carrying +P+ as a duty round. I would practice with any of the NATO FMJ ammo. Just check to be sure POI is the same and function is 100% with your duty ammo and I'd go for it. After function and POI testing was completed if you ever shot a half a box or a box of +P+ over a life time of on duty incidents you would be well above the curve in ammo expended on duty with this little pocket pistol....<><....:)
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm taking the LC9s out for a test drive at the range later today.

This evening I field stripped it and used the barrel as a chamber check gauge to "plunk test" various reloads and I was especially pleased to see that my rounds using The Blue Bullets' 125gr RN (dry lubed) at COAL's up to 1.130" readily passed the plunk test. These rounds were originally loaded for a G26. They do not fit into a SAMMI spec chamber check gauge but do readily drop into the Glock and also the Ruger Barrel.

Given this I'm assuming the LC9s chamber is cut a little more generously which give me more leeway when buying bullets (don't have to buy just one kind of plinking bullet just for that pistol).

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#29]
What MSPRet said

Also, Federal HST and Speer Gold Dots +P's are great defensive rds too.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hope it doesn't cause problems down the road but I think it is a mistake that Ruger didn't somehow design the pistol to be disassembled without pulling the trigger.  

As it is now, Ruger includes a bright colored plastic block that is inserted into the mag well so the trigger can be pulled.  Pulling the trigger releases the striker from the sear and allows the slide to be removed.  Being that this pistol has a magazine disconnect, Ruger included the block.  

That's all well and good but eventually someone is going to want to take this pistol apart on the kitchen table or in the bedroom or whatever and won't have the little plastic block handy.  They'll decide to use a loaded magazine and that's when the issues will arise.  

I know we're all thinking that nobody is stupid enough to use a fully loaded magazine to take the gun apart but I bet someone will do it and have an ND.

View Quote

There are only about a billion Glocks out there that need to have the trigger pulled before disassembly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There are only about a billion Glocks out there that need to have the trigger pulled before disassembly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, my XD 45 needs the trigger pulled to disassemble.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#32]
The big difference between the LC9S and these other pistols is the magazine safety. No magazine--or anything for that matter--needs to be placed into the mag well first before pulling the trigger.
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#33]
I plan to carry mine with Federal HST 147gr +P, as long as it likes it of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top