Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruger sent a replacement extractor, popped it in the other night and ran 2 magazines thru it, ran like a champ so far
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 2:45:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Pistol arrived back today.

I'll say one thing, Ruger customer service is second to none!  

They basically replaced everything but the frame.  New BBL, new slide, and many of the internals replaced.  They fired almost 100 rounds of mixed ammo to prove out the reliability.  If this doesn't do it, I don't know what will.  

Maybe it's in my head - but when I rack it, it just feels better now.   Going to take it out this weekend and put 5+ magazines of factory ammo through it.  Wish me luck.  I've got a better feeling about this than I did last time.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Took the pistol to the range today.  It was like a whole new gun.  Which... frankly it is.  Accuracy was profoundly better, with this being my 10 foot grouping for the first 6 rounds fired.  For all aimed fire, this size grouping and zero was consistent.

Reliability was drastically improved.  All told, 42 rounds of Remington 88 gr JHP factory ammunition was fired.  The gun just felt good.  Most magazines were loaded to 6 rounds, inserted into the empty pistol, racked, and fired.  All fired flawlessly when so done, even the ProMag.  However, on one factory magazine, towards the end of this session, I did 6+1 (i.e. 1 in the pipe, plus a full magazine).  That string had one failure to close into battery at the beginning.  Just barely, it was quite close to being closed, and the lightest tap of the thumb while still pointing the gun, was all that it took to close the last 1/16 of an inch.  Obviously the high tension within the magazine caused a little more drag on that first round being stripped, and it just didn't have enough umph to close then.

So... Difficult to conclude.  I can't really claim flawless.  But then again, can I claim I am using the gun as intended, since that was a 6+1, rather than just 6?  I do know I feel a WHOLE lot more confident carrying this pistol now, but perhaps I should only load a 6 round magazine, and carry 5+1?  That is my intention, until more range time shows I can reliably do 6+1.  

On a final note, props to Ruger - they took my concerns seriously, and essentially replaced everything on the gun except for the original frame and fire control group (and I think they may have even replaced some of that).  They did so without any BS, lengthy delays, or costs to me.  Then they fired almost 100 rounds through the gun to really be sure it worked - reporting zero failures with multiple brands.  Not sure what more a guy could ask.

Total Round Count: For all practical purposes this is now a new gun.  I guess for now I'll just reset this, and say 100 factory rounds (i.e. fired at RUGER) + my 42 test rounds.  So 142.  I suppose it should be noted though that the frame has seen an additional 500 rounds beyond that.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Fired 10 rounds of TMJ ball reloads.  3.0 gr of HP38 is pretty weak with 100 gr ball, at just 650 fps.  Nonetheless, gun cycled flawlessly.  I switched to HP38 from HS6, because it's faster and cleaner burning, which I suspect the LCP design may be sensitive to.

Total round count: 152
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Fired 51 rounds of weak TMJ rounds.  1 failure to fully position and chamber a round.

Fired 5 rounds of Remington HP defense.  Noticeably hotter and more muzzle flash.  no failures.

Total round count: 208
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not able to reliably feed Blazer Aluminum in my LCP Custom (red trigger).

It has fired 100 flawless rounds of American Eagle though (after the Blazer failures)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top