Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2014 1:38:28 AM EDT
"economy" version of the SR9:

No LCI (will have an inspection port)
Fixed rear sight
Fewer slide serrations

MSRP is $429 which means it'll sell for around $300-350.

For that price I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if their sales are hurting. I really don't see the SR9 suggested when people are looking for a new 9mm pistol. No LCI and a fixed rear sight is a good change IMO. The slide serrations look fine as well. Maybe they're trying to compete with the SD9VE from S&W.

http://www.ruger.com/products/9E/models.html
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I wonder if their sales are hurting. I really don't see the SR9 suggested when people are looking for a new 9mm pistol. No LCI and a fixed rear sight is a good change IMO. The slide serrations look fine as well. Maybe they're trying to compete with the SD9VE from S&W.

View Quote

Seeing as how the company just invested megamillions in a new plant in TN (Nashville area?) I seriously doubt that their sales are hurting although handgun sales as a whole might down a bit. The 9E replaces the "P" series and it will compete with the "Sigma".
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Seeing as how the company just invested megamillions in a new plant in TN (Nashville area?) I seriously doubt that their sales are hurting although handgun sales as a whole might down a bit. The 9E replaces the "P" series and it will compete with the "Sigma".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't mean Ruger sales as a whole, just the SR9. I rarely see anyone suggest the SR9 when someone asks about what type of 9mm they should get. I go to 7 different gun shops where the SR9 is far below in sales when compared to Glock, S&W, XD/M/S, etc. This is what I see online and in person, but someone may have a shop where 50% of their sales are SR9s.

I honestly think this will hurt the SR9 sales even more so since most don't want or need an LCI, adjustable rear sight or more slide serrations. At least Ruger brought back a less expensive option.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I kind of like the look over the SR9. I wonder how teardown and cleaning is, was one reason I went to an XDM.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The biggest improvement is the normal size dovetail for the rear sight. This will mean being able to by a front and rear tritium sight at half the price that most sight makers are charging for the SR9.  If they sell for $350.00 I would definitely buy another.  

The only gripe i have with the SR9 is the long trigger reset, despite that mine shoots straight at 25 yards.  Groups are consistent regardless of the round fired and are more than acceptable at any distance for self-defense.  The black nitride coating is excellent and resists rust- reminds me a little of Beretta's Bruniton finish.  Would have been nice if they kept the slide serrations and dumped the magazine disconnect along with the LCI.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Teardown and cleaning is easy.  I clean my SR9 mostly with a microfiber cloth and a nylon bristled brush for the bore followed be a few patches.  With Slip 2000 Gun Lube everything just wipes off.  The Stainless barrel is awesome and as far as I can see the case is fully supported in the chamber.  Unlike a Glock you can shoot any ammo through the SR9 and the ergonomics for me are far superior to the SA XD Series.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
What the trigger pull on them?  The S&W Sigma is horrendous, hopefully this is better.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Teardown and cleaning is easy.  I clean my SR9 mostly with a microfiber cloth and a nylon bristled brush for the bore followed be a few patches.  With Slip 2000 Gun Lube everything just wipes off.  The Stainless barrel is awesome and as far as I can see the case is fully supported in the chamber.  Unlike a Glock you can shoot any ammo through the SR9 and the ergonomics for me are far superior to the SA XD Series.
View Quote

Interesting, while I didn't see an actual teardown, the gun shop in my area poo poo'd me on it stating it was a horrible teardown. Think I will hit Gander where I have a friend working to see just what the real score is. My XDM is a hungery bastard that will also eat what ever I toss in it's mag, groups tight at 25 as well. Would like a smaller sized to carry that still has a full grip.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What the trigger pull on them?  The S&W Sigma is horrendous, hopefully this is better.
View Quote

Try a SDVE series instead. They've improved it quite a bit since the Sigma.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#10]
"Economy" version of the SR9?  How much more economy can it get?  
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:31:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Reducing the slide serrations actually saves a ton of money in milling time.

Other ways they are saving money not discussed above:

Cheaper finish. Black oxide instead of nitride.
Ships in cardboard, not a plastic case
Comes with only one magazine, and no other tools

I suppose it hits a price point for the budget conscious buyer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Fixed rear sight
Fewer slide serrations

View Quote

BTW the rear sights aren't fixed, the dovetail is just cut much smaller.  Again, time saved on the milling machine = $$.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Its sad that I think this "budget pistol" might be better than the SR9 in my opinion. Smaller dovetail cuts aren't a bad thing, especially if it fits Novak sights. The serrations being bigger doesn't bother me at all. Also the removal of the LCI is a huge plus. Its too bad they didnt delete any of the safeties to save a few bucks :P

As for the box, who actually keeps these things?

The one mag is a downside however... But they only run about $33 or so.

Say you grab this for $325 or so and add an extra magazine. $358 S9E VS SR9 $370 at (Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore.)
Is this really even a deal?

I've always thought the base price of the SR9 was pretty low already.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Reducing the slide serrations actually saves a ton of money in milling time.

Other ways they are saving money not discussed above:

Cheaper finish. Black oxide instead of nitride.
Ships in cardboard, not a plastic case
Comes with only one magazine, and no other tools

I suppose it hits a price point for the budget conscious buyer.
View Quote

Hell, the last two Rugers I've purchased have been in cardboard.  A SR1911 and a SR22 pistol.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

The stock trigger beats just about anything short of a Glock, HK, or Sig in other words pistols costing twice as much.  I got the smooth it kit #4, heavy striker spring,  and a stainless captured guide rod from Galloway Precision and my SR9 rocks.  As I said earlier in this thread the only thing I don't like is the longer trigger reset, but that's coming from a Glock and 1911 fan.  The Novak 3 dot sights for the SR9 are awesome.  The pistol shoots consistent self defense type groups even with the longer reset.  The SR9 is a self defense piece not a target pistol.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

IMO, this puts it solidly into the category of "toy" pistol. Your opinion may vary...

OPERATION OF MAGAZINE DISCONNECT
Your
RUGER
®
SR-SERIES
pistol is equipped with a magazine disconnect.
This device prevents firing if the magazine is removed from the pistol. You will
not be able to use your
SR-SERIES
pistol as a single loader (unless you place
one cartridge in the magazine and insert it into the pistol) or to fire the pistol
with the magazine out of the pistol.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Now they just need to get rid of the manual safety and magazine disconnect and the gun would probably get knocked down another 25 bucks or so.  Make the design more simple and it becomes more affordable.
I do not know if it has an internal lock that you need a key, but ditch that too.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Fixed rear sight
Fewer slide serrations

View Quote

Be a great glove box gun
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Be a great stolen gun gun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed rear sight
Fewer slide serrations

Be a great stolen gun gun

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

IMO, this puts it solidly into the category of "toy" pistol. Your opinion may vary...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your
RUGER
®
SR-SERIES
This device prevents firing if the magazine is removed from the pistol. You will
not be able to use your
SR-SERIES
one cartridge in the magazine and insert it into the pistol) or to fire the pistol

It puts it solidly in the category of "sock drawer pistol" that thousands of people will buy, never practice with, and just keep it for decades as a. "Just in case" gun.

Ruger does their demographics homework.   Most of these 9E's will never see a range more than once.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It puts it solidly in the category of "sock drawer pistol" that thousands of people will buy, never practice with, and just keep it for decades as a. "Just in case" gun.

Ruger does their demographics homework.   Most of these 9E's will never see a range more than once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your
RUGER
®
SR-SERIES
not be able to use your
SR-SERIES

I agree with matthardcore's take on the intendend demographic.  I've handled several SR variants, and they seemed pretty well put together for the money.  I know several people who own them, shoot them regularly, and have had zero issues.  What has kept me from picking one up is that with a little searching I've managed to pick up used Glocks or M&P's at prices competitive with NIB SR series guns.  

As for the mag disconnect, I believe this is relatively easily removed from the handgun.  I know it was no problem to remove the disconnect from my Mark III.  If I saw a used SR (or eventually a 9E) for sale at a good price, I would snap it up.  A little time and a few upgrade parts later I'd have a reliable, reasonably accurate handgun.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree with matthardcore's take on the intendend demographic.  I've handled several SR variants, and they seemed pretty well put together for the money.  I know several people who own them, shoot them regularly, and have had zero issues.  What has kept me from picking one up is that with a little searching I've managed to pick up used Glocks or M&P's at prices competitive with NIB SR series guns.  

As for the mag disconnect, I believe this is relatively easily removed from the handgun.  I know it was no problem to remove the disconnect from my Mark III.  If I saw a used SR (or eventually a 9E) for sale at a good price, I would snap it up.  A little time and a few upgrade parts later I'd have a reliable, reasonably accurate handgun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your
RUGER
®
SR-SERIES
not be able to use your
SR-SERIES

Remove the slide backplate, pull the firing pin assembly, and the mag disconnect drops into your hand. Takes 30 seconds, tops.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:56:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Remove the slide backplate, pull the firing pin assembly, and the mag disconnect drops into your hand. Takes 30 seconds, tops.

View Quote
Its in the slide?  Weird.  Why?

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blocks front/back movement of the firing pin.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Picked up an SR9 5 months ago, then Ruger drops the "E" on the market with a C note discount.  Figures..

I got my SR9 via slickguns with shipping and FFL transfer for $378.  The E could easily go for less than $300 after it becomes more available.  

So I'm wondering, what's next?  LC9 E with a sub $200 price tag?  That's a prime candidate.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Looks like they are hitting the market - kygun as them for $332

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looks like they are hitting the market - kygun as them for $332  
View Quote

If this streets for $299, I'm buying one. Two maybe.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm assuming the Ghost rocket connector is compatible with the 9E?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

This statement comes directly from the Ruger website FAQ Section:

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q53

What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger 9mm pistol?
The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition. Note: The LC9™ is not rated for +P+ ammunition.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I fondled a 9E today.

The trigger is impressive. Light and crisp with a much shorter takeup than a Glock. I like it!

I also doesn't seem to have a magazine disconnect. I racked the slide, dropped the mag and was able to pull the trigger end felt the firing pin go forward.

The only thing I was not impressed with was the dealer's asking price: $370. C'mon.

ETA: Two of my buddies also checked out the 9E and they agreed the trigger was very nice.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 7:27:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Don't know if the  9E has a mag disconnect or no. But on the SR series it DOES NOT prevent you from pulling the trigger. It works by blocking the striker from going forward enough to hit the primer.  

Ruger recommends that you DO NOT dry fire the gun without an empty mag in the weapon as the damage to the striker could occurs by creating a burr on the striker.

On the SR, when you remove the striker to clean the striker channel the disconnect will just fall out.  No extra parts or modifications needed like the Mark III to remove the mag disconnect.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Local Sportsman's Warehouse finally got a 9E in stock. Their price is $349
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:47:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Wonder if a 40E is in the works?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wonder if a 40E is in the works?
View Quote

I'd say yes.  Probably a .45 E, and E"C" series plus an LC9s "E" since they still want $449 for the LC9s.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:00:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Dang it, gun genie has one dealer offering it to me for $306 OTD.  If I had an income right now, I'd be buying it.  

I'm on unpaid leave from work right now recovering from back surgery.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I fondled a 9E at a gunshow the other day - I had never seen or heard of one before - and I was quite impressed.  Ruger may very well may end up beating Glock and the S&W M&P at their own game.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL

He means lead bullets - which you're not supposed to shoot in a Glock.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 12:19:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I fondled a 9E today.

The trigger is impressive. Light and crisp with a much shorter takeup than a Glock. I like it!

I also doesn't seem to have a magazine disconnect. I racked the slide, dropped the mag and was able to pull the trigger end felt the firing pin go forward.

The only thing I was not impressed with was the dealer's asking price: $370. C'mon.

ETA: Two of my buddies also checked out the 9E and they agreed the trigger was very nice.

View Quote

These guns still have the magazine disconnect - it's just that the way it works still allows the gun to be dry fired.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:04:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Held one today. Felt fantastic, and trigger was great. I think it is a better SR9 IMO for less money.

Great truck gun, or hell, someone take it to a high round class, post an AAR and shock the hive!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Doc's Gun Exchange (Florence, SC) was selling 9E's at today's fun show for $330. I believe they offered a 3% discount if paying cash.

So the deals ARE out there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Hmmm. May make me reconsider picking up a SD9VE as a "cheap" new 9mm pistol.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#44]
A local shop is selling these for $320.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Handled one and it seems nice for the money, but when I can get a very nice used Glock for $400, why bother.

As someone mentioned above, Ruger does know its market for semi autos.  Too afraid to buy a used gun for the sock drawer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know that when they went to striker fired on just about all centerfire pistols, they lost me and quite a few others.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top