Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2014 11:05:58 AM EDT
What do you all do as far as carry goes? Pure pocket carry, no holster of any kind? How many here carry this way?

Are there any non-holster products that would make for a safer carry in the pocket or is the trigger pull weight enough?

Input appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry my LC9 in a DeSantis SuperFly holster in my right rear jean pocket everyday! Don't know its there.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What do you all do as far as carry goes? Pure pocket carry, no holster of any kind? How many here carry this way?

Are there any non-holster products that would make for a safer carry in the pocket or is the trigger pull weight enough?

Input appreciated.
View Quote
I got a 15 dollar uncle mikes from gander and I pocket carry it in that.  its great, even in basketball shorts its not bad to carry at all.

Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry my LC9 in a DeSantis SuperFly holster in my right rear jean pocket everyday! Don't know its there.
View Quote

Yeah. The Supafly is better than the Nemesis.
The Nemesis prints in light pants.

I often carry my P3AT with just the belt clip.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Input appreciated.
View Quote

I carried my LCP in my left back pocket sans holster right up until the time I saw my own backside in the reflection of a reflection while walking through a series of glass doors. It was quite obvious that there was a gun in my pocket and I do not wear anything resembling tight jeans. Not a problem with a Desantis Nemesis, which also keeps the LCP in the proper position to be drawn quickly.

I have been thinking about looking at some kind of IWB holster though. When I'm not carrying, that is where I keep my phone.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Nemesis, but it does print a bit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
While the lack of thumb safety is discomforting....that's a pretty stiff trigger you got there.

If that's what your asking.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry mine almost daily unless I am carrying my Glock 30s for serious work. The Nemesis works great in my right front pants pocket or in slacks with cargo pockets.
I do have two Nemesis holsters, one for just the gun alone and another I am using now while I am trying out a Lazermax red dot sight. I have always considered red dots toys but thought I'd give one a try since all the "kid's" seem to want lights and red dots on thier guns. The Nemisis I am using now for the LCP w/Lazermax also carries and extra magazine and it still fits in pockets quite nicely....<><....:)
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a cheapie Uncle Mikes pocket holster for pocket carry (either main pocket or cargo). I do plan on snagging a DeSantis to replace it when it gets worn, but as much as I steer clear of UM their pocket holsters work well.

I also carry it in a Bladetech IWB, works really well for carry, you don't even know it's there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, but people assume that it is a cell phone.

My opinion is that pure pocket carry (no holster) is idiotic.  There are plenty of pocket holsters available to find one that suits your needs.  Even with a heavy trigger pull, you are inviting an accident by not using a holster.  Especially if you happen to throw something else in your pocket like keys.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My opinion is that pure pocket carry (no holster) is idiotic.  There are plenty of pocket holsters available to find one that suits your needs.  Even with a heavy trigger pull, you are inviting an accident by not using a holster.  Especially if you happen to throw something else in your pocket like keys.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.
That's why when pocket carrying, dedicate that pocket to the gun only.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Up until I got a pocket holster I carried my LCP in my right front pocket.  Printed a little bit, but that was taken care of by making sure to have my phone in front of it or something.

It did collect lint like a mother fucker.  While I never noticed any problems firing withe some lint, I still chose to clean it more than regularly.  Then I got a pocket holster and made that better.

Point being, I never had any problems carrying my LCP straight in my pocket.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn, carrying without a pocket holster would make me nervous, not that it wouldn't work if the pocket was otherwise empty. Still, I don't know if I'd roll that way and as Midyew said I'm sure the gun would collect a bunch of lint over time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd go with a holster, but other than that, the LCP works well in a pocket.

I don't carry mine very much because I don't think that .380 is good for a primary gun. I have, however, carried it when I absolutely, positively couldn't have a gun. I carry mine in a DeSantis Nemesis and it works very, very well for that.

If you are pocket carrying, it is best not to carry anything in that pocket, just the gun. Everything else goes into other pockets. That way, there is no chance that something could work its way into the trigger guard and there is nothing to impede your draw if you need the gun. Just be extremely careful when drawing not to accidentally get a finger on the trigger. Drawing from IWB or OWB and having a negligent discharge because of hitting the trigger is bad; an ND when drawing from a pocket could result in shooting yourself in a VERY sensitive place with lots of blood vessels, resulting in death very rapidly. Practice lots with an unloaded gun before carrying.

Pockets are dirty, dirty places. The gun (and any spare mags) will likely need more frequent cleaning and maintenance. I haven't had any real trouble with lint or dirt anywhere except the hammer slot when using a holster, but the hammer slot looks really, really bad after only a few days. I simply swipe a q-tip through the slot every few days and good to go again. It still though, need more frequent care and attention.

Overall, for deep concealment, pocket carry works well, with a small enough gun to prevent printing. It takes a little more diligence and practice but it is worth it. Good luck.

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't carry mine very much because I don't think that .380 is good for a primary gun. I have, however, carried it when I absolutely, positively couldn't have a gun. I carry mine in a DeSantis Nemesis and it works very, very well for that.

If you are pocket carrying, it is best not to carry anything in that pocket, just the gun. Everything else goes into other pockets. That way, there is no chance that something could work its way into the trigger guard and there is nothing to impede your draw if you need the gun. Just be extremely careful when drawing not to accidentally get a finger on the trigger. Drawing from IWB or OWB and having a negligent discharge because of hitting the trigger is bad; an ND when drawing from a pocket could result in shooting yourself in a VERY sensitive place with lots of blood vessels, resulting in death very rapidly. Practice lots with an unloaded gun before carrying.

Pockets are dirty, dirty places. The gun (and any spare mags) will likely need more frequent cleaning and maintenance. I haven't had any real trouble with lint or dirt anywhere except the hammer slot when using a holster, but the hammer slot looks really, really bad after only a few days. I simply swipe a q-tip through the slot every few days and good to go again. It still though, need more frequent care and attention.

Overall, for deep concealment, pocket carry works well, with a small enough gun to prevent printing. It takes a little more diligence and practice but it is worth it. Good luck.

Bub75
View Quote

Thanks for the answers so far, everyone. The DeSantis Nemesis seems the way to go, even a buddy of mine has one for his LCP. I went and ordered one from Amazon and it just arrived today. Been practing draws (unloaded) from various positions (Standing, supine, sitting, etc.). Keep that dialogue coming,

At a shoot I was at last weekend, a lady had an LCP with theis rubber cylinder type thong that fot behind the trigger. It was kind like a spool whose outer edges went over the rigger guard. I asked her if it was easy to kick out with a finger if needed on a draw and she tried it. It didn't budge. I don't know if the product she was using was specifically made for t hat application or it was something she just found, but it was a silicone type thing in pink.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for the answers so far, everyone. The DeSantis Nemesis seems the way to go, even a buddy of mine has one for his LCP. I went and ordered one from Amazon and it just arrived today. Been practing draws (unloaded) from various positions (Standing, supine, sitting, etc.). Keep that dialogue coming,

At a shoot I was at last weekend, a lady had an LCP with theis rubber cylinder type thong that fot behind the trigger. It was kind like a spool whose outer edges went over the rigger guard. I asked her if it was easy to kick out with a finger if needed on a draw and she tried it. It didn't budge. I don't know if the product she was using was specifically made for t hat application or it was something she just found, but it was a silicone type thing in pink.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bub75

I never heard of anything like that for the LCP. Some years ago, someone did make a little polymer piece that would fit behind the trigger of a Glock. The piece locked the trigger forward so that it could not be squeezed and the gun could not be fired. When you draw, you were supposed to pop the piece out with your trigger finger to make the gun ready to fire. It was supposed to allow you to pocket carry or Mexican carry a Glock without a holster and without worrying about an ND. Sounds like something similar on the lady's LCP.

I'm not real fond of things like that at all. I'll freely admit that I never tried one, but I can see trying to punch the piece out of the trigger guard and accidentally hitting the trigger when it comes out. Sounds dangerous to me, but like I said I've never actually tried one. To me, NOTHING goes in the trigger guard except your finger when you are actually shooting. Anything else seems to me to be an invitation to an ND.

Keep practicing with your LCP. Pocket carry is a good option  and can work well, as long as you practice and keep your finger out of the trigger guard. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been pocket carrying every day for more than 20 years.  I would never pocket carry without a holster.  I recently moved from a Seecamp to a LCP.  The Seecamp has a really heavy trigger but it always went in a holster that covered the trigger. I've tried a bunch of pocket holsters but I think the best I've found at a reasonable price is from Red Dog Holsters in Texas.  It has an anti print panel and it comes with a second anti print panel that covers the top of the gun so it looks like a wallet.  Its called  The flip-top pocket holster  Scroll halfway down the page.  The anti print panel is thinner than some others but It seems to help it fit to the pocket better than a thicker piece.
It works with the LCP standard mag or  the extended mag.

I also use a Remora holster as a pocket holster in pants with smaller pockets.

Link Posted: 6/30/2014 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a pocket holster that I use if I am going to carry it in my pocket.  I also have a clip that I use from time to time and just hang it IWB.  The trigger is so heavy on these things that I'm not afraid of an AD.

http://technaclip.com/index.php/gun-belt-clips/ruger.html
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Carry mine in pocket holster. Goes in front right pocket daily.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:00:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought  a kydex pocket holster from some guy on eBay that makes them. Works well hold gun good and has a thumb push off
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I pocket carry my LCP in a Desantis Nemesis and yes as stated it will print a little, but only on the top half and only if your wearing light and tight pants. I also have an ankle holster for my LCP but I dont seem to ever wear it as the bulk is just uncomfortable and it snags on my pant legs and I find that when I sit down and cross my legs I end up revealing my holster .

With the way I have put my carry configurations and weapons together the LCP is favorable for me due to the same manual of arms as my smaller and larger CCW weapons. It is very simple for me to pocket carry my LCP and then IWB carry something else, but no matter what I can pocket carry my LCP anywhere and i'll just through an extra mag in my support side pocket giving me 6 x 2 +1 for ammo.

I find the LCP or similar sized pocket 380's to be very hard to beat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 9:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]
In a the masters holster pocket holster in back pocket.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#23]
DeSantis Nemesis and a SnagMag for the magazine.  Perfection on both counts.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Carried one in my hip pocket every day for probably 3 years. Still do occasionally when the weather or occasion prevents me from carrying something larger. I just put a handkerchief in front of the LCP. If you know what you're looking for (and are looking) you might notice it. Otherwise, its no more noticeable than a wallet. Works for me.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I try to always use a fobus paddle holster, for my lcp, because the draw is lightening fast... that being said, it prints at the 3 o'clock position like a son of a gun.  My next favorite way to carry is in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans. No holster whatsoever. The gun slips in and the trigger guard is covered by the Jean material, perfectly.  In the watch pocket, It's invisible in just a tee shirt. My least favorite carry method is in the desantis nemesis in the back wallet pocket. Draws like a turd. I prefer the nemesis in my front right pocket, if I'm wearing cargo shorts or the like.  Ymmv

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm just not comfortable with pure pocket carry.  I want *something* around the trigger area.  To each his own but, dang that makes me nervous OP.

I carry in a nemesis, and although it can print a tad, I feel very safe it in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I carry my p3at as backup in the front pocket with a Remora holster. It's very comfortable.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I carry my Kel-Tec in a cheap Uncle MIkes holster.  Drop it in my back pocket and it looks like a wallet.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#29]
no one has said talon yet??

talon holster

some good videos on youtube of why some ppl prefer it over other holsters.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I carry my p3at as backup in the front pocket with a Remora holster. It's very comfortable.

http://cdn3.volusion.com/wuczc.futky/v/vspfiles/photos/Series-2R-2T.jpg

View Quote

I have the Sticky Holster.  Looks just like the Remora, only probably not as sticky.  It was cheaper and free shipping on Amazon.  In my front shirt pocket, no holster, but I put a piece of folded paper in front of it, or cell phone as someone earlier posted.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Try a Recluse pocket holster and you will throw rocks at the rest.
Thank me later.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#32]
current evolution of my pocket carry is upper left... Andrews Custom Leather pocket holster, to which I added a piece of kydex to cover the grip... at the time Florida's interpretation to the carry law was "no printing"... gripping the pistol rotates the kydex out of the way...

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 1:34:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I never heard of anything like that for the LCP. Some years ago, someone did make a little polymer piece that would fit behind the trigger of a Glock. The piece locked the trigger forward so that it could not be squeezed and the gun could not be fired. When you draw, you were supposed to pop the piece out with your trigger finger to make the gun ready to fire. It was supposed to allow you to pocket carry or Mexican carry a Glock without a holster and without worrying about an ND. Sounds like something similar on the lady's LCP.

I'm not real fond of things like that at all. I'll freely admit that I never tried one, but I can see trying to punch the piece out of the trigger guard and accidentally hitting the trigger when it comes out. Sounds dangerous to me, but like I said I've never actually tried one. To me, NOTHING goes in the trigger guard except your finger when you are actually shooting. Anything else seems to me to be an invitation to an ND.

Keep practicing with your LCP. Pocket carry is a good option  and can work well, as long as you practice and keep your finger out of the trigger guard. Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Bub75
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bub75

Bub75

Just found that item on Amazon. I'd never use it but fwiw, I will post the link.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top