Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2014 5:19:21 PM EDT
My Gen 1 is worn to bare metal on several spots from holster wear. Rusted by the weak side slide serrations and came with a stained in the white brl.

If i were to buy again it would be gen 2 with a stainless slide.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that sucks. I bought a stainless Gen 2 version to avoid any potential issues. Didn't realize it might really be an issue though.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My Gen2 blued version LCP has come to work with me almost daily since aquiring it several months ago and it gets shot at the range. It still looks great and has functioned 100% with no hiccups. You might want to re-evaluate the holster you carry it in and your weapon maintainance procedures. I keep my gun clean and use a DeSantis Nemisis holster, it works well with very little holster wear. The new Gen 2 SS slide version would be the best way to go if your concerned about a little honest wear on the bluing of your gun....<><....:)
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Try some car wax on the slide. I do this to my Kel-Tec P32 which are know to have rust issues worse than the LCP, but so far the bluing is like new and zero rust.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try some car wax on the slide. I do this to my Kel-Tec P32 which are know to have rust issues worse than the LCP, but so far the bluing is like new and zero rust.
View Quote

This right here. I've been doing this on my blued LCP (and all my blued guns) since I got it because I have battery acid for sweat. I carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis and it still looks like new. I use Johnson's Paste Wax instead of car wax since it doesn't have cleaners or polishers in it, works the same.

Bub75
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
>>I bought a stainless Gen 2 version to avoid any potential issues<<

Ditto that.....
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:29:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I carried my first gen. LCP for two years and never saw rust, but the bluing was getting thin.

I stripped the slide and coated it with the black bake-on "Cerama-Coat" from Midway USA.  No more issues with wear or rust.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
>>I bought a stainless Gen 2 version to avoid any potential issues<<

Ditto that.....
View Quote

And here too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a stainless a couple of months ago.  Blueing wears off in a holster and will eventually rust.  This isn't unique to the LCP.  Tennifer, Molonite, etc are more durable finishes.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Blueing has never been a Ruger strongpoint.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Sorry, couldn't find a current picture by itself. I do have a tool-less takedown pin on the way back from CCR to match the rest of the gun.

Cera-plate works great for a pocket gun. Works great for a lot of guns...
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a pocket-gun, guys. A little cosmetic wear isn't going to hurt it, if it's taken care of and not abused.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Looking at mine that is about 5 years old and pocket carried a LOT and it never gets oiled.

Looks fine to me and I sweat like crazy.

It runs great.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 8:57:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been carrying a gen 1 in a De Santis Nemesis for over two years with a decent amount of finish wear.  I blame the holster more than the bluing on the slide because the pistol slightly bounces in the holster when walking.  A tight leather holster would of most likely reduced this wear.  A far as rust, so far I have no issues.  As far as I'm concerned I know this is going to happen with a pocket gun and when it gets too bad I will refinish it.  OP I agree with you that if I were to buy again it would be stainless.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#14]
That sucks. I have a Gen 1 that's almost 3 years old, is always either on my hip or in my pocket, and the finish has held up great. Apart from wear on the barrel hood and scratches from me dropping/throwing it the finish looks great. I have yet to see any rust.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That sucks. I have a Gen 1 that's almost 3 years old, is always either on my hip or in my pocket, and the finish has held up great. Apart from wear on the barrel hood and scratches from me dropping/throwing it the finish looks great. I have yet to see any rust.
View Quote

Wat?
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

In for the story
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In for the story
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wat?

In for the story

Perhaps he throws it the bad guy when he runs of of bullets like they do on TV?....<><....
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I just bought a gen2 and carry in my back pocket in a pocket holster. Between the humidity here in Florida and my sweat the serrations on the slide and the slide lock lever started rusting right away. I have cleaned and oiled the slide and lever but I need to do this daily. Low quality finish by Ruger. I will try wax as others have suggested but may end up having the components re-finished.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine had a lot of wear so I duracoted the slide.  Problem solved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top