Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 11:05:15 PM EDT
Anyone thinking of buying and installing a set of HD's on their SR9 should seriously consider having a gunsmith handle the install or have a lathe handy.  The front sight is fairly straight forward but requires considerably more metal to be shaven off the dovetails and the base of the sight than your normal handgun..  The rear sight is a bitch to get in.  I needed to file and sand considerable metal off the front and rear dovetails and even more off the base of the sight.  There was roughly a .015" difference between the stock sight and the the HD rear dovetail to dovetail.  I took the most metal off the front dovetail.  I had to take the base and front dovetail down to white metal, which I will probably will remove the rear site again and cold blue or if i can get away with it I may use a blue pen.

Fortunately, I spent the time and reviewed installation videos by Dawson Precision prior to installing.  The rear sight cannot be put on with an aluminum punch- too much bearing surface.  I had to use a brass punch to get the rear on.  Will post pictures tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Range Update- The Trijicon HD sights for the Ruger SR are No Good!!!   The stock front sight is 0.190" from the base to the top of the sight while the Trijicon HD is 0.250" .  I was shooting 4-6" Low at 10 and 20 yards respectively.  I came home and used the calculations provided on the Dawson Precision website and the front sight is too high by 0.050".  Dave Dawson offers a front sight with a  0.220" height, but I'll still be shooting low at 20 yards.  I could look into a Novak front and try to contact them on the height of the front sight.  If anyone has a tritium sight with a front sight post closer to the stock front sight at 0.190" tall please let me know.  This is very disappointing considering the cost and time to install.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:15:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Comment to Trijicon:
I am very disappointed with my new set of Trijicon HD Night Sights for my Ruger SR9. Put plainly, they are not designed for the Ruger SR9 as the front sight post is 0.250" in height above the base while the Ruger factory sight is 0.190". This 0.060" difference causes my pistol to shoot 4-6" LOW at 10 and 20 yards respectively. I even went onto the Dawson Precision website and followed their formula for calculating how much to change the sight height to make POA = POI and came up with 0.050" I would like to know what you plan on doing about this issue. I'm sure I am not the only one with this issue. Even Dave Dawson says that 0.010" in windage equals 1 inch at 20 yards. Your engineering team needs to redesign the HD Night Sights for ! the SR 9. My Glock sights for my G17 are only 0.215" tall!! Please let me know what can be done about this!! I spent a lot of money on these sights and they are completely unusable

Response:

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your patronage of Trijicon products. Did your pistol shoot “spot on” with the factory sights? HDs are taller by design (front & rear appropriate,) and intended for 10 meter ZERO bisecting your target. We look forward to assisting you to the extent possible.

BOTTOM LINE-UNLESS YOUR SR9 SHOOTS 4-6 INCHES LOW CONSISTENTLY WITH ALL AMMO OUT OF THE BOX DON'T BUY THESE SIGHTS!!!

NEXT STEPS:  I AM GOING TO BUY THE NOVAK VERSION OF THESE SIGHTS AND WILL GIVE AN UPDATE ON WHAT I FIND.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got a pair of Novak's Tritium Sights for my SR9.  Novak's offering has the same dimensions as the factory sights both front and rear.  What's more they were incredibly easy to install.  Filing and sanding the rear sight base and dovetails was kept to a minimum.  I will post a completely new thread on my range report once I go to the range.

Bottom Line: BUY NOVAK'S IF YOUR SR 9 SHOOTS POA/POI WITH FACTORY SIGHTS AT 10-20YARDS.  IF YOU'RE SR 9 SHOOTS 4-6" HIGH AT 10-20 YARDS THAN BUY THE TRIJICON HD'S.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top