Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2014 5:43:56 PM EDT
Gen 1 and I really like it.  I have about 150-200 rounds through it no problems.  I've cleaned it about 5 times through those rounds, seems like every box of 50.  
Last night it failed to extract 2 rounds in a row and became jammed.  
   I wonder if I should seriously clean the chamber (where the case seats) w/ a dremmel and cotton?  Extractor looks sharp and well taken care of to my eye so my last wonder was if the chamber was sticky with residue I couldn't see.  It has been a while since I've fired the gun and it actually wasn't cleaned last time. In general I don't feel it needed cleaned as often as I did, but that's just me.  Perhaps these mouse guns need to be cleaner...?
  Anyone have problems with the lcp failing to eject before?  How often are you cleaning yours?  Was shooting American Eagle, and its been flawless before. Thanks.

Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean it really well with an old toothbrush or a brass brush with some hippies #9 or other quality gun scruber and shoot it again. Try some different ammo if you can find any.

I wouldn't go dremiling at all unless it was a quick feed ramp polish.

It could just be an extractor with some crap down in it or it needs a new spring. It may be a mag problem also. Try loading one or two rounds in a mag.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
When I clean my guns I usually take a cut piece of a patch, and work it with a fingernail behind the extractor claw. Even though you can't see much, I'm always amazed at how much crud is actually there.

If that doesn't help, changing the extractor spring as mentioned is a cheap thing to try as well- recoil springs also.

You should not need to clean it every 50 rounds, and should be able to run it a couple of hundred with no issues from being dirty.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine jumps like a bunny rabbit. Usually 200 rds. between cleanings without a single failure in the approx. 1000 I put through it.
Use quality brass cased ammo sourced from American companies, and perhaps a little elbow grease to clean up the chamber with a brass brush.
Sometimes I use solvent on a brush-mop and let it sit in the chamber overnight, provided the solvent is fine for extended contact.
Otherwise call Ruger to have em' look at it on their dime .
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a Star PD 9mm which could only fire about 40 rounds and than jammed(extraction problem). There was a brass build up in the chamber where the case mouth rests. I polished it with the 38 super case run trough the 9mm die mounted on the drill bit and some polishing media. I applied the media with cotton swab inside the barrel and than inserted the case so the chamber profile was not changed. Probably running chamber reamer would do the same. After that I could fire about 200 rounds without cleaning
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top