Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2014 6:28:45 PM EDT
The little critter shoots. This is 40 shots from the second box of 50 done while I was adjusting the rear sight to a good zero. It was quite easy to adjust. No need for a hammer and drift, just a mini-screwdriver. There is something good to be said about actually adjustable sights.

(One round went "woof" instead of "bang" and the bullet went off in its own direction. The pistol did fire and did cycle, but the one round was clearly not normal so it wasn't the SR22's fault.)

Once I knew it was a total winner, the front sight got changed out for a HiViz "SR-22" green dot front.  My old eyes see the green dot in the two rear white ones way better than three white dots.  (:>)

The IPSC target was shot with the factory three dot sights.

Then, with a new HiViz front sight for the olde eyes, it shootes even easier.

Link Posted: 3/8/2014 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Im looking forward to getting mine. Have it ordered, just waiting for it to ship. (picked up the Talo edition comes with 3 (10rders), got its for 275 shipped.

From all ive read, the lil SR22 shoots just about any kinda ammo and does it well.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]
This Ruger SR22 put:
-CCI MiniMag 40RN
-Remington 40RN (1964 Golden Bullets)
-Federal 40RN HS
-CCI Blazer 40RN
-American Eagle 40RN
into essentially the same zero at 15 yards. I haven't gotten to try the Velocitor or any standard velocity or hollow points yet. But you get the idea. The Magic Marker colors let you put 10 shot groups on the same target for quick reference and yet tell the shots apart. I still need to lower this rear sight probably one more click. As you shoot, try to get some idea of the amount of adjustment each rear sight click creates. It would be nice if the manufacturers listed the change rate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool. I just picked mine up from the shop today. Been messing around with the interchangeable grips and the mag extensions. Cant wait to shoot this thing,
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty basic, but you might take a look at:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/148288_Beginner_Lever_Set_Up_Of_A_New_Pistol.html

That has updated ammo info to at the end of the first post.  It likes zippy ammo.

Experience has indicated that Federal or American Eagle (Federal) .22LR 40RNHS has a lot of ignition failures and variable amounts of powder.  The weak ones of which do not operate the SR22 slide.

It does not shoot everything and for sure isn't operating with sub power ammo.  CCI and WW products seem to operate it far more reliably.  A box of Remington Viper 36TC really operates the slide.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Figured it out.  A MIM line in the hammer face retarded slide function.  Polishing off the MIM line made it function 100% even with weaker ammo.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I originally shot 50 rounds or so and cleaned the SR22PB.  Since then I have been shooting it more at each session with other people.

I have noticed a consistent malfunction.  With even CCI MiniMag40RN, at about 75-100 rounds, it starts to short stroke catching the slide just ahead of the rim.  I have tried thin or thick oils, grease or not here and there, but when it gets dirty, the slide is more sluggish and periodically short strokes.

1). Has anyone else noticed this tendecy?

RemViper36TC Hyper Velocity runs the slide smartly, but nothing else even when clean.

2). Has any one tried cutting a coil off the rear of the operating spring to let it cycle easier?

I have four mags and it isn't them.  I cleaned the insides and left them dry so they are not crudded up.
View Quote

Jus curious how much easier you want it to move? Ive had lil kids be able to pull the slide back on my brand new unfired SR22. Infact I wonder how fast ill wear out the recoil spring it moves so easily. I do understand about .22s getting dirty and malfunction. my Ruger MKII with Gemtech is notorious for that.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, it would be nice not to short stroke after 75 rounds of use at a time.  There is no question that the slide does not travel all the way back even when clean.  The travel limit usually makes the dwell time for a round to rise in the magazine helped by the "bump" at the end.

With out that full travel, its hard to cycle with that slightest weaker round.

The hyper velocity stuff never short strokes.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, it would be nice not to short stroke after 75 rounds of use at a time.  There is no question that the slide does not travel all the way back even when clean.  The travel limit usually makes the dwell time for a round to rise in the magazine helped by the "bump" at the end.

With out that full travel, its hard to cycle with that slightest weaker round.

The hyper velocity stuff never short strokes.

View Quote

I havent checked to see what Ruger Recommends, it seems others have been able to shoot whatever they put thru it, im hoping thats the case and u just got a dud gun. lol.

Maybe send back to ruger?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:38:54 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem is that there is nothing wrong with it.  Save one item.  I think it worked better new.  Really looking for oddities, all I can find is that the MIM hammer has a raised casting seam from front to rear where the slide pushes as it fires to recock the hammer.

There is a mini-dent in the raised seam.  I am thinking polishing that flat might reduce the opening resistance.  Oil or grease there no longer helps..  500 rounds through it has not made it better.

My wife can only open this SR22 with considerable effort, but has no trouble with a J frame DA trigger.

(How do you have a new gun for three weeks and not shoot it?)
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The problem is that there is nothing wrong with it.  Save one item.  I think it worked better new.  Really looking for oddities, all I can find is that the MIM hammer has a raised casting seam from front to rear where the slide pushes as it fires to recock the hammer.

There is a mini-dent in the raised seam.  I am thinking polishing that flat might reduce the opening resistance.  Oil or grease there no longer helps..  500 rounds through it has not made it better.

My wife can only open this SR22 with considerable effort, but has no trouble with a J frame DA trigger.

(How do you have a new gun for three weeks and not shoot it?)
View Quote

LoL..hard to get to the range.

I think there might be something wrong with your gun, my slide is super smooth and takes very lil effort to pull back, like I said, my girlfriend is 90lbs and she can do it easily  but my S&W airweight she can barely pull the hammer back and its got lighter springs. hmm, dunno. that is why I was saying im concerned about my recoil spring getting weaker over time (which it will) but dont want it to happen too soon (1000-2000rds)

Once I shoot it, all bets are off, im just speculating right now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Removing the MIM line lets it work perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]
180 rounds and zero malfunctions, 'cept for two dead primers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Without cleaning the SR22PB, I shot it another 50 + 100 of Blazer40RN and WW36HP with zero additional malfs after the two primer failures.  330 rounds dirty and it still chugs along.  

The slide catching in the MIM mold line was all that was wrong.  Maybe I should send Ruger a bill for saving them money fixing it myself?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Had a go with my uncle's SR22 this past weekend.

Been lusting over one for the past year at minimum.

Now it's set in stone. I need one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top