Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2014 11:52:45 AM EDT
I have seen these for years. Its a cool concept but why do they exist ? Is there some niche use for these ? Super cheap ammo at the time maybe ? Or did Ruger do it just because they could (not anything wrong with that at all)

Does anyone have one ? Whats it like to shoot ? more then a .38 special ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have seen these for years. Its a cool concept but why do they exist ? Is there some niche use for these ? Super cheap ammo at the time maybe ? Or did Ruger do it just because they could (not anything wrong with that at all)

Does anyone have one ? Whats it like to shoot ? more then a .38 special ?
View Quote

I bought one back in the '90's.  Cheap surplus ammo is the only thing I can come up with as a good idea for this revolver.  I must've really wanted it,  because I justified the purchase as "buying the best javelina hunting handgun around" (or something like that that I found on the internet.  There ain't too many javelina in Missouri.

I don't recall the recoil and flash being remarkable, all in all I liked it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Friend has one.  It's an answer in search of a question.  Loud and impressive muzzle flash.  Surplus carbine ammo has never been all that common or cheap.  I have no idea what market niche Ruger was trying to fill.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I own 2 of them; a boxed Bicentenial gun and another pre-warning gun.
Up until the ridiculous lunker magnums  came out it was probably the loudest most obnoxious handgun on the line, w/ a rather
spectacular muzzle flash/ fire-ring about a foot or 2 out of the business end and recoil about like a stiff .38 +P
They are as a rule very accurate, mine are especially so w/ my reloads. You just have to make sure the cylinder bores and ammo are
dry of any lube or the cases can set back and tie up the gun.
 As far as purpose, usefulness? There are few bullets the work well at the velocity's produced but it's a small game proposition unless
you're talking head shots at close range.  
Mostly though It's an accurate enjoyable gun to shoot and it's fun to see folks heads snap around after you touch off the 1st one
and ask WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd rather have a .327 Federal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 3:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Ammo, I'm told, was cheap in the 60's.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 4:45:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Had one for awhile and traded up for a super blackhawk. It was fun to shoot with the muzzle flash being fairly spectacular..
It was painfully loud, not like boom loud but a crack loud. On a different note I have always wanted one of the old AMT .30 caliber autos.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Been thinking about one of these as I have a shitload of .30 Carbine and only 2 M1 Carbines.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:45:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like Ruger still makes them , I had no idea .

I can order one for $500 through Davidsons to my LGS it looks like too

30 Carbine Blackhawk
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 5:46:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I like pistol-carbine combo's.  44-40 colt pistol/ Winchester replica. 10-22/ MKIII .44 mag Blackhawk/ .44 mag marlin, .30 carbine Blackhawk/ m1 carbine.  There is a 45-70 pistol out there forgot who makes it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:07:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I had one about 20 years ago with serial
number 51 of the new style.  I sold it
to a friend. I will get it back one day.

It was a hoot!

Found one at Buds.

John

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been thinking about one of these as I have a shitload of .30 Carbine and only 2 M1 Carbines.
View Quote

I would not mind at all having a revolver the same caliber as my Inland. Would be a good excuse to pick up some more .30 carbine, I could always use more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top