Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2014 12:07:14 PM EDT
Any issues or concerns I should be worried about?

Just won it on Gunbroker so now I'm curious about what's out there for he gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my LCP. I carry it nearly every day.

However, there are a few issues.  The trigger sucks. I don't find this too bad for a gun that I keep in my pocket with no safety, but you will need to work out your trigger finger a bit.
The sights are nearly invisible to my old eyes. I had to add a laser to it.

I've had some issues with it eating some of my reloads, but I don't think that's the guns fault. I think it comes from using a light load with home cast lead that needs a little better quality control.

Link Posted: 2/4/2014 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It has a very long trigger pull and very low sights. The trigger pull is nice because there is no safety. I would definitely put a crimson trace on it ASAP
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive got one.  Great little pocket gun.  As mentioned, trigger is looooooooooooooooong.

Learn how to point shoot with it one handed.  If it comes down to using it, that will probably be how you do.

If you pocket carry, train on drawing and shooting from the hip.  Just try not to shoot your nuts off in the process.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking to pick one up here soon, from my understanding the newer models have more pronounced sights and a little better trigger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm looking to pick one up here soon, from my understanding the newer models have more pronounced sights and a little better trigger.
View Quote

The newer ones have a MUCH better trigger and sights.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed- they are a significant improvement.

I must say I am finding it somewhat annoying that people do not seem to know there is a newer version out and keep commenting and giving advice according to old information.

If I were interested in getting one (and I did just pick up a new one to go with my old one) I would make sure it is the newer version.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Good advice in this thread.  I carry mine a lot, but rarely shoot it.  

I did shoot it last weekend, and the trigger is much longer than I remembered.  It is VERY MUCH a point and shoot gun.  

I see where the newer models do have more pronounced sights, but I'm not sure that will make a huge difference in shooting the gun the way it is likely to be used.

Perhaps I need to shoot it more to see if the trigger smooths out.  If not, I might actually get a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys.

This won't be my regular carry gun, I have my G26 and G32 for that.  I'm just getting this as a small backup or glove box gun
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently picked up one of the new Gen 2 LCPs in stainless. "Where have you been all my life!"

I really like it. Stupid easy to conceal. Tiny and light. Trigger on this new one isn't bad at all. Obviously I like to carry 9mm or larger round if possible, but for light summer clothing carry or "grab it and go" type carry I think it's going to be hard to beat. My Glock 19 and HK45c are huge and heavy in comparison.
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I must say I am finding it somewhat annoying that people do not seem to know there is a newer version out and keep commenting and giving advice according to old information.

If I were interested in getting one (and I did just pick up a new one to go with my old one) I would make sure it is the newer version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had researched into getting an LCP to carry when I do not want to carry a 1911 and as you mentioned people always seemed to complain about the sights and trigger. When I went to check it out at the gun shop I honestly did not think the trigger seemed all that bad and I thought the sights were ok for the size and use of the gun. With the little finger nub on the factory magazine it actually felt really good in my hand as well. I should be able to pick it up  next week and am looking forward to putting it through its paces, Having not held a first generation LCP I could not comment how those are but at least the newer ones really did not seem bad. Plus, I got it with the OD green frame. That is what really suckered me in :)
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:59:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had researched into getting an LCP to carry when I do not want to carry a 1911 and as you mentioned people always seemed to complain about the sights and trigger. When I went to check it out at the gun shop I honestly did not think the trigger seemed all that bad and I thought the sights were ok for the size and use of the gun. With the little finger nub on the factory magazine it actually felt really good in my hand as well. I should be able to pick it up  next week and am looking forward to putting it through its paces, Having not held a first generation LCP I could not comment how those are but at least the newer ones really did not seem bad. Plus, I got it with the OD green frame. That is what really suckered me in :)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, there's an OD frame model here locally and I'm tempted to pick it up also.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Just picked up a new gen lcp today, anyone have a line on mags.  The cheapest I'm finding is $25 ea from Midway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I have never shot the lcp, only just started looking at them because ill be looking to get my ccw now in illinois.

when i looked at it at the gun store i didn't think the trigger was bad at all nor the sights. then i looked at another one in the case, and damnnnn did that trigger suck as well as milled down sights.

when i got home i found out online in 2013 ruger made those improvements.

the new 2013 ones are really nice and i would suggest to anyone buying an lcp to make sure its the new one.

I have a question for anyone who has shot he lcl compared to the cw or p380, is there a big difference? I've heard the p380 is more of a pleasure to shoot. those are the two pocket guns I'm considering but leaning towards the lcp.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:19:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Took mine out to the range last night for the first shooting.  After around 30 rounds the whole upper assembly flew off and went down range.  Needless to say I'll never buy another ruger product again and fighting with Ruger to try to get them to at least fix my gun so I can sell it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Took mine out to the range last night for the first shooting.  After around 30 rounds the whole upper assembly flew off and went down range.  Needless to say I'll never buy another ruger product again and fighting with Ruger to try to get them to at least fix my gun so I can sell it.
View Quote

How about some more details?

Did the takedown pin shear off? Or what else did the failure involve?

I've heard nothing but good things about Ruger taking care of their products. You seem to claim they're not willing to deal with you on a new gun. That doesn't sound right.

Without further information it's hard to take a post like this seriously.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

So it happened last night and you're already fighting with Ruger?  

How about a little more information. Had you stripped the pistol prior to taking to the range?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Where is the approximate cutoff between old and new?
Is there a way you can tell if the one you have or are about to buy has the older trigger or newer trigger?
Date stamp?  Serial number ranges?  Anything?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Where is the approximate cutoff between old and new?
Is there a way you can tell if the one you have or are about to buy has the older trigger or newer trigger?
Date stamp?  Serial number ranges?  Anything?
View Quote

Sight are much more pronounced on the new versions, also the serial number is consecutive, on the older models there is a dash breaking up the serial number.  I believe the new models starting showing up in late 2012.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ive got one.  Great little pocket gun.  As mentioned, trigger is looooooooooooooooong.

Learn how to point shoot with it one handed.  If it comes down to using it, that will probably be how you do.

If you pocket carry, train on drawing and shooting from the hip.  Just try not to shoot your nuts off in the process.
View Quote

Yep.  The LCP is not some comp pistol that you take all this time to aim and shoot.

It's a draw and fire "get off me" gun.

I find all the trigger and sight stuff to be quite hilarious.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Last night and you are already "fighting" with them?

You posted this at 0819 EST and they are in AZ and are not even open yet.

Yeah, okay.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

While it is most likely true, in terms of being a "get off me" gun, a better trigger and sights are always a good thing.

There may indeed be situations where you would have the chance to sight the gun, and the improvements in that area are a definite plus.

Check the changes out for yourself and you may see what we're talking about and feel the same. If not, to each their own.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#22]
I added Gallaway Springs and RTK Sweet Pea trigger with a Hogue Hybrid Grip to my wifes gun.
I like it so much that I may have to buy her a new one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I took my new wife down to the gun show this morning and had her look at a Shield, LC9, nano, LCR and the LCP

There was no argument, she wanted the LCP. I talked her into the extended mag and she seems happy about it. She also wanted to try the laser, so it was like $339 out the door.

I do not understand the complaints about the trigger. It's a DA trigger and its nothing! Not even even the revolver range, like half that! If that trigger is bad, then ever other gun I've ever fired and qualified with is complete shit. It's awesome. If it weren't so damn tiny I'd get one for me.

Link Posted: 2/23/2014 10:11:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I

View Quote

While it's not a competition gun I was able to put 2 full mags into the head at 15 yards.  It was more accurate than my 2" Colt .38.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

While it's not a competition gun I was able to put 2 full mags into the head at 15 yards.  It was more accurate than my 2" Colt .38.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I

I put 100 rounds through my LCP and my 1911 last Friday, first time firing the LCP. Much to my surprise I was a better shot with the LCP I've got a newer version with the improved trigger and sights. There was a man and his daughter shooting a S&W Bodyguard next to me, and we struck up a conversation. They let me put a few mags through the Bodyguard, and I let them put a few through the LCP. We both agreed that the LCP was a better shooting gun, the trigger on the Bodyguard was HEAVY!
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I put 100 rounds through my LCP and my 1911 last Friday, first time firing the LCP. Much to my surprise I was a better shot with the LCP I've got a newer version with the improved trigger and sights. There was a man and his daughter shooting a S&W Bodyguard next to me, and we struck up a conversation. They let me put a few mags through the Bodyguard, and I let them put a few through the LCP. We both agreed that the LCP was a better shooting gun, the trigger on the Bodyguard was HEAVY!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I

I think the bad trigger and lack of sights on the older model gave the LCP a bad rep with people that haven't shot the new model.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I think the bad trigger and lack of sights on the older model gave the LCP a bad rep with people that haven't shot the new model.
View Quote

It's not a bad trigger. It's just a longer trigger. If you learn to use it well, it really isn't bad. The new one is definitely better.

The old sights aren't great either, but they do work. You do your job, the gun will do its job.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It's not a bad trigger. It's just a longer trigger. If you learn to use it well, it really isn't bad. The new one is definitely better.

The old sights aren't great either, but they do work. You do your job, the gun will do its job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finally handled one of the "new" LCP's yesterday. Trigger is much much better than mine (3 years old) and the sights are better too. Makes me want to sell mine and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Just  picked up one of the new ones about an hour ago.  Haven't shot it yet, but the trigger feels fine dry firing and the sights seem pretty decent for a pistol of this size.  I bought it for summer use under a T-shirt, hoping that summer (or even spring) may be coming soon.  But with 20" of snow coming tonight, I don't see me wearing just a T-shirt outside for a while  Hopefully I can get to the range this weekend and see how it handles.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just picked up a new gen lcp today, anyone have a line on mags.  The cheapest I'm finding is $25 ea from Midway.
View Quote

I know this is an old post, but I picked up some Promag standard and 10 round mags from Academy last year that work great, and their a little cheaper at about $20 last time I checked. they also make a 15 rounder
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I know this is an old post, but I picked up some Promag standard and 10 round mags from Academy last year that work great, and their a little cheaper at about $20 last time I checked. they also make a 15 rounder
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a video review on youtube of the 15 rounders.  They look really funny but might be handy in case of a zombie apocalypse
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I placed a new one on lay-away this afternoon...
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll enjoy it. people complain its not fun to shoot. I say bull. I really enjoy shooting mine and its is quickly becoming one of my favorite handguns that I own just because of the fact its so damned easy to carry around and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Thinking about getting one of these new ones this week.  I've been very pleased with my old one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:51:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting one of these new ones this week.  I've been very pleased with my old one.
View Quote

Dooo eeet!

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You'll enjoy it. people complain its not fun to shoot. I say bull. I really enjoy shooting mine and its is quickly becoming one of my favorite handguns that I own just because of the fact its so damned easy to carry around and fun to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here...I've heard tons of complaints about how it shoots, and people say it recoils too harshly.  I have a ton of fun with mine.  I shoot steel plates at 20 yards...and laugh the whole time.  For such a tiny gun it really is accurate.  I carry mine daily an dhave for the past 9 months or so.  I have the 2nd gen model with the larger sights and enhanced trigger.  I see they now have one with a stainless slide.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 3:13:54 PM EDT
[#37]
I just got mine about 20 minutes ago. Where is this harsh trigger pull I've heard about? The trigger on mine is WAY light. So light, it actually makes me nervous carrying it loaded.

Edit: Just went out and shot a few mags through it. I don't know man, I carry all my CCW stuff with one in the pipe, but this one makes me way nervous w/no safety. The trigger is not that hard AT ALL on mine.  I guess it must be my brain playing tricks on me because of the "no safety" thing, but I don't know if I like it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The trigger on mine is WAY light. So light, it actually makes me nervous carrying it loaded.

Edit: Just went out and shot a few mags through it. I don't know man, I carry all my CCW stuff with one in the pipe, but this one makes me way nervous w/no safety.
View Quote

Use a good holster, exercise proper safe-handling and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 2:40:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Use a good holster, exercise proper safe-handling and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The trigger on mine is WAY light. So light, it actually makes me nervous carrying it loaded.

Edit: Just went out and shot a few mags through it. I don't know man, I carry all my CCW stuff with one in the pipe, but this one makes me way nervous w/no safety.

This. It must be the new version with the new trigger and sights like mine. I've been carrying mine a LOT in the past few months (obviously with one in the pipe) since I got it with no issues. I use both a cheap Uncle Mikes  pocket holster for pocket carry and a Bladetech Nano IWB. I know, Uncle Mikes, but it's actually the only UM I like, I do plan on getting a Desantis pocket holster when the UM gets some wear on it.

End of the day, just rack one in, put it in a decent holster and rest easy carrying your new LCP. Sooo concealable and light, you're gonna love it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:17:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok - here she is.

I shot 100 rounds of 90 grain PMC FMJ and 50 rounds of Speer LE 90 grain Gold Dot.at a distance of 12 feet. I had one failure to extract with a Gold Dot about halfway thru with no issues afterwards.
Prior to the range session, the pistol was cleaned and then lubricated with FireClean.
The recoil is a tad sharp with it being concentrated in the palm of my shooting hand. Not at all a problem though...
The pistol shoots to POA and seems to be quite accurate. The trigger pull was long but still quite nice and it has decent sights.
I fumbled a bit at first changing mags due to it's diminutive size but quickly adjusted.

I really like the pistol!

ETA: The ejection pattern was somewhat erratic between 3:00 and 5:00 and ranging from 8-15 feet away.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the review.  I'll most likely be picking one of these up at the next gunshow.  I've narrowed it down to the LCP or the Kahr, but I'm leaning towards the LCP.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yep.  The LCP is not some comp pistol that you take all this time to aim and shoot.

View Quote

Where I live you have to shoot a qualification course with your carry guns. The course is not hard. but on a gun without sights it would be.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#43]
n/m
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love mine. Always in my front pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top