Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2013 5:12:04 PM EDT
My friend and I just got back from our shooting hole, and his 9mm ruger SR9c had what appears to be a light striking issue. We determine it to be this because we had 3 different brands of 9mm PMC, Fiocchi, and Blazer Brass. None of them worked gun just went click. We examined one of the bullets and there was a light indent on the primer of the bullet. Anyone else have this issue? If so what is the fix for it? Can we just buy a part and install it or do we have to send it to Ruger?
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#1]
This http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/sr/heavy-striker-spring-for-ruger-sr9-sr9c-sr40-sr40c-sr45/
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
CALL Ruger or take it to a dealer...

A 'spring' is only One possibility of several. You need to look a little deeper before concluding.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Not an uncommon problem from what I have seen and heard but I believe it was more common in the early guns.
I got my SR9C two weeks after they were available for general sale.

My SR9c suffers from the occasional light primer strike as well.

One other problem is that the 17 round mags sometimes have to be jiggled/repositioned or else the gun won't fire.
My gun has this issue as well but I think this was also an issue on the early guns.

I should send it back but I don't shoot the gun that often anymore and just haven't gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#4]
My SR9c is fairly new, and runs great. As for your buddies gun, I have heard a couple stories about the striker channel getting gummed up because of all of the grease from the factory. I would start there. Detail strip the gun and give it a thorough cleaning. If that does not solve the problem, then it's time to either send it to ruger or replace the striker spring with a heavier one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine was also an early issue gun, and I have had the same problem.  I have cleaned the crap out of it to no avail, so I am looking at the spring now..
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not an uncommon problem from what I have seen and heard but I believe it was more common in the early guns.
I got my SR9C two weeks after they were available for general sale.

My SR9c suffers from the occasional light primer strike as well.

One other problem is that the 17 round mags sometimes have to be jiggled/repositioned or else the gun won't fire.
My gun has this issue as well but I think this was also an issue on the early guns.

I should send it back but I don't shoot the gun that often anymore and just haven't gotten around to it.
View Quote

We were using the 10 rd mag.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the exact same issue. Returned to Ruger for servicing, received back in 100% shape. Ruger does not charge for the fix.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 12:41:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I had an early one as well.  Sent to Ruger on their dime, great service experience except that it still did it.  Since I could not rely on it I sold it.  Still looking for the perfect single stack 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#9]
My daughter liked the way an SR9C handled at the gunstore the other day. She is looking for her first pistol, but the light strike issue gives me pause. I know that the internet is not the best thing to base a purchase decision upon, and that things can get blown out of proportion, but I've stumbled across this issue numerous times.

For those that have had to send their pistols back to Ruger, did they identify the cause, or did they just fix it and say your pistol is now working fine?
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My daughter liked the way an SR9C handled at the gunstore the other day. She is looking for her first pistol, but the light strike issue gives me pause. I know that the internet is not the best thing to base a purchase decision upon, and that things can get blown out of proportion, but I've stumbled across this issue numerous times.

For those that have had to send their pistols back to Ruger, did they identify the cause, or did they just fix it and say your pistol is now working fine?
View Quote

Spend a few minutes in the Ruger Forum semi auto section it will tell you all you need to know. These guns have been around for a long time, the bugs should have been worked out there not.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Maynard and Rabon, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Its the magazine cutoff saftey. If you dry fire it with the mag out it will start doing this. I removed the mag cutoff safety and no more issues.  Its easy to remove. Its in the slide. Remove the back piece that holds the striker in and the cutoff is a horseshoe shaped piece that stradles the striker. Remove its spring too. Reassemble and test. It will fire now with the mag removed plus no more light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 11:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Its the magazine cutoff saftey. If you dry fire it with the mag out it will start doing this. I removed the mag cutoff safety and no more issues.  Its easy to remove. Its in the slide. Remove the back piece that holds the striker in and the cutoff is a horseshoe shaped piece that stradles the striker. Remove its spring too. Reassemble and test. It will fire now with the mag removed plus no more light primer strikes.
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife started shooting 3 gun and idpa with me a couple years ago and chose a sr9c as her primary side arm. She’s put thousands of rounds through it with no issues. The only failure I’ve ever seen is a friends gun had a "peaned over" striker from shooting thousands of rounds of tula and wolf 9mm with hard primers. From what I’ve seen the gun is very dependable. I also have to admit that her gun often gets neglected when it comes to cleaning, especially if she gets close to beating me in a match:)

I’ve seen much more expensive hand guns take a "dump" during a match. I also have to chuckle a little when the wife beats someone shooting something that costs 6 or 7 times what her little ruger did.

I think the key with rugers is to clean them completely before you shoot them, I’m not sure the chemical makeup of the shipping grease they use but it attracts dirt like a bleach blond biker chick.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Remove the striker from the channel and completely clean it.  Reassemble and try firing it again.  If you still have the light strike issue, then call Ruger customer service.  I bought one of my SR9C's used and when it was having a problem with light strikes, I called their customer service and they gave me an RMA and had me ship it to Ruger.  I did, and a week later I got it back, repaired and all done at NO charge!    Ruger has very good customer service and I recommend you give them a chance to do the repairs.  If you go to a dealer or smith they will charge you.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I done this, and now mine runs like a sewing machine.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I've had mine almost a year with no problems out of it. A good cleaning was needed, taking it apart and so forth. Very happy with the gun. I mostly shoot Remington ammo, but have shot PMC, Blazer, American Federal Eagle, and Magtech. Once I figured out what limp wristing was (new shooter) I was good to go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This http://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/sr/heavy-striker-spring-for-ruger-sr9-sr9c-sr40-sr40c-sr45/
View Quote

THIS!!!  Was my problem...
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought mine August of 2013 and haven't had any problems with mine yet. Maybe he just needed a good cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine was bought around Nov 2013, no issues with mine, and no failures of any kind with any ammo.

I have however removed the magazine disconnect safety. Some people have said that removing it stops the light primer strikes also.  

Have a SR22 also, love that as well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Had the exact same issue. Returned to Ruger for servicing, received back in 100% shape. Ruger does not charge for the fix.
View Quote

Same here, sent it in without a mag. Got a free 10 rounder back :). No cost to me and it's been 100% since.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had my Ruger for over a year now and have not had this problem. Although I have had that problem with another gun I used to have. Got to say Ruger SR9C is by far been my favorite gun yet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I have light primer strikes with wwb and freedom munitions.  Load the same cartridge a second time and it will fire.  Sent it back to Ruger twice and still primer sensitive.  The gun still isn't fixed.  I am rather unhappy about that but it shoots federal reliably so I guess I will have to stick with that.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#25]
+1 on cleaning the striker channel, some of the guns are sent from the factory with heavy grease and can impede proper firing if not totally cleaned out.  Try that and see if it works, if not give Ruger a call.  Hope it isn't too much of a hassle for you, I know it's frustrating when a gun isn't functioning properly (we have all been there)!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top