Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2012 4:04:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PeepEater]
I am intending this to become a sticky and will add more in depth parts removal and some no cost modifications.
Tools used:

Rubber mallet or similar

Old rag or similar (I used a sock)
To disassemble:
Remove the magazine and retract the bolt to verify the gun is unloaded.
Released the bolt and insert a magazine. Dry fire the gun. Remove the magazine and pull back on the small tab located on the back of the grip

Continue to pull back until the spring housing rotates out of the grip.

Pull down on the housing to remove it from the pistol.

Your work area should look like this now:

Pull the bolt to the rear and remove it.

Place the rag on the rear of the upper and give it a good tap with the mallet.

The upper will then separate from the lower

This is as far as the gun needs to be taken down for regular cleaning. Any further disassembly will require tools.
To Reassemble:
Place the upper back on the lower, cover the end of the barrel with a rag and tap it with the mallet to seat it.

Push the bolt back into the upper and make sure the holes line up for the mainspring housing.

Before you pop the housing back in make sure the hammer is still in the fired position. If it has fallen back insert an empty magazine and pull the trigger while observing to make sure the hammer falls. Then remove the magazine. If it doesn't fall on its own push it into position with a small screwdriver through the grip.
Then insert the Mainspring housing back into the gun.

Make sure it comes all the way up through the bolt and looks like this:

Then swing it down and lock it into place.

If it does not swing into place freely the hammer has probably fallen. Make sure the hammer is forward and the mag well is empty before swinging the housing down. The hammer has a spur on it that interfaces with the housing in only one way. You should not have to force it at all. This is what is going on inside the gun with the hammer and housing:

When you are done be sure to function check the weapon.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Detailed stripping and reassembly.

Tools needed:

Allen wrench or punch

small pick

rubber mallet

Start from the last step of disassembly.

Locate the front pin on the lower.

Push the spring retainer out of the way on the inside of the gun under
the pin while pushing on the pin gently to get it started out. Then
drive out the pin.

Pull the trigger with your thumb while slowly pushing upward.

Slowly keep pushing up while making sure the trigger remains depressed. Otherwise the detent and spring may go flying off.

Slowly rotate the trigger forward so the detent doesn't fly off.

Pull up on the trigger to remove it. Make sure you keep track of the spring and detent.

Hold the bolt release lever in place with one finger while rotating it
down. There is another spring and detent in it we don't want to fly off.

Easy it out of its hole and pull it up through the top.

Once again keep track of the spring and detent.

Then locate the rear pin.

Make sure the sear spring is not in the way of the pin groove and slowly
start to push the pin out. Do not push it all the way out as there is
no reason to unless you are planning on replacing the safety; which has a
spring and detent in it like the bolt release. Only push the pin out
enough to get the FCG out.

Carefully grasp the entire FCG and it will come out as a group. Make sure you note how the bushing is oriented.

Make sure the safety and sear have not fallen out of position. If they
have push the sear forward and then install the safety properly.

Here is the FCG. Clockwise from 12 O'clock we have the mag safety and spring, hammer, disconnector, and the hammer bushing.

If you are going to replace any parts now is the time to do it. Reassembly is in reverse order.Removing the spring from the magazine safety will disable it and allow mags to drop free without causing hammer wobble. This method may not work in all guns so be sure to function check yours. Replacing the hammer and bushing with the Volquartsen MKII parts will allow you to delete the mag safety and spring altogether.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Bolt disassembly and loaded chamber indicator removal.

Field Strip the gun and remove the bolt.

Push forward on the spring and pull up to remove it.

Carefully drive out the pin in the bolt about halfway.

Place a hand or rag over the firing pin in case the spring gets jumpy and pull the pin the rest of the way out. Remove spring and firing pin for cleaning or replacement.

Your bolt is now stripped except for the extractor. Reassembly is in reverse order.

Loaded Chamber Indicator Removal.

Field strip pistol.

Take upper and turn it upside down to locate the loaded chamber indicator retaining pin.

Place a rag over the top of the upper and tap (do not beat) with a mallet until the pin falls out enough to pull it out. Take care as the loaded chamber indicator is under spring pressure. When the pin is removed take out the loaded chamber indicator assembly.

The silver piece of metal is what actually causes malfunctions. If your gun is having malfunctions caused by this piece simply remove it.

Now there is no part actually in the chamber. Remember your loaded chamber indicator will no longer function if you do this.

Place the assembly with or without the silver piece back into place. I've found it best to hold it in place with one finger while pressing the pin in with my thumb.

Reassemble the pistol and function check.

Link Posted: 10/4/2012 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
TAG
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 1:09:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 12:58:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: okiejack] [#6]
Ok I took my 22/45 apart never took the barrel off . When I went to put the bolt and pin back in after I got the pin in my bolt will only go back about 3/4 of a inch . What am I doing wrong . I has to put a magazine back in and pull the trigger back to get my pin in if that tells you anything . Also the safety is stuck on fire .
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Ost
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice write up. The Mark III is much easier to take appart if you remove the mag disconnet. You don't have to keep inserting the mag to disassemble or reassemble, which I think tends to confuse some people.
Link Posted: 12/17/2013 10:20:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JamieReis] [#9]
For those of you with the typical reassembly problem--this should help solve your problem.

There are a thousand posts containing explanations of what went wrong, what the problem is, etc., but a lot of people say they ended up figuring out the problem and don't describe how.

I intend to do that in this post...

If your 22/45 or MkIII mag seems tight, your bolt stays back after "cocking", you cannot drop the hammer using trigger or slide stop, or your safety seems to be stuck--this should help.

I'm not going to explain the issue, because there are a hundred other posts that explain what you screwed up. If you have been telling yourself that you did your due diligence in reading manual, you're wrong. You need to read the manual or understand very clearly how to reassemble before attempting again...

To fix a seemingly stuck mainspring system, you must move the hammer forward. To do this, insert an empty magazine--make sure chamber is empty--hold down trigger and swing the gun up and forward. As if you had a ping pong ball on the muzzle and we're going to throw it forward.

You will not feel the hammer swing around--likely, but if you do that multiple times maybe at the end of the motion hitting the muzzle on your hand or some other padded surface, the hammer should move forward and allow you to disassemble as usual.

Good luck...
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:28:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Positronic] [#10]
How about someone RE-HOST the pictures ??
@AKengineer
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Lol. I probably need to just take a day off of work to clean put my photo bucket account and rehost the stuff I want to keep.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a very helpful thread, but between the fuzziness (low resolution?) and the webhost watermark on each photo....it could be a lot clearer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Ruger MK III 22/45 Walkthrough Disassembly and Reassembly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top