Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2016 12:41:40 PM EDT
Fella on Facebook selling a custom 2. He was sling $750 for it. I've been looking for another gov length so I figured I'd throw him a trade offer.

edit: removed his advertisement , it had his phone number on it ooops

He was looking to consolidate calibers and really wanted a 1911 in 9mm. I offered him my Cz p09 with a used tlr1. I threw in a cold steel kobun to make it a little more attractive to him.

She came with box and papers a shooting star mag and a Mec-gar. It had an extended mag well, arched with a loop, and some vz grips. Night sights appear to be mepros back trijicon front. The front tube is busted, looking down the gun it looked like someone used a pusher incorrectly or beat them to death. It's hard to see the cant but it's there.

The trigger is stainless adjustable and that frame..... I'm not an fde fan anyway but this one looks muddy and ugly. The slide is shiny black looks almost painted.
I put 150 rounds through four different mags jhp and ball. Not a single hiccup. I know a lot of people poo poo on kimber but it shot great, trigger is very light and crisp, lockup is great. Did a full tear down , the sear surface looks nice and untouched. I threw a straight msh on it and my Magpul grips. I know vz's are great but not this set, they're just ugly on it. I put them on the Springfield champion for now.

I may polish this one and get it blued, I miss a classic blue finish. I filed out the three hole on the trigger for a more gold cup look, matches the hammer a little better and doesn't take anything away. Just a personal preference of mine.

All in all I'm very satisfied. A $400 dollar gun for a $700 gun is a good trade in my book. This will make my fifth 1911 and I may hold onto her for a while.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet deal man.
Love what you did with the skeletonized trigger. How long did that take?

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet deal man.
Love what you did with the skeletonized trigger. How long did that take?

View Quote

About an hour with cheap jewelers files, I'll finish it with some 600 then 1000 around a dowel. May coat the inside black to match the hammer. I'm in no hurry really. It shot terrific, the cosmetics can come later. I do hate that fde, wondering if it's factory. The entry level custom 2 was all black with a non adjustable trigger I think. There's no globs drips or missed portions inside our out, it's just ugly.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Just for grins I removed some of the coating off of the magwell to see how the blue I have would take. It's just birch wood Casey but I figured I might get rid of that fde until I can find a more permanent solution. The exposed metal didn't take a drop of blue , yet the frame is magnetic so I highly doubt it's stainless. I'm not too familiar with kimbers past offerings. Guess I'll leave her coated for now. Glad I didn't throw it in the blast cabinet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Well after talking with kimber I'm not sure if this frame is stainless or not. The fde got the best of me and I blasted it anyway, polished it up and tested a few spots with blue. Still not taking a drop. So time will tell. If she starts corroding I may black oxide the whole thing. But for now, a mild polish on the frame and deep blue for the slide. I'll leave it for a while. The extended slide release sucks and doesn't lock well. I'll see if I can dress it or ditch it.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I found the slide release on my Kimber was pretty much junk.  Changed it out with a Wilson bullet proof and no issues since.  

Nice work and nice pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top