Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2016 5:23:49 PM EDT
Went to Academy Sports looking for a compact 1911 mag. They only had one left so I buy it. Its supposed to be a TacMag. I get it home and read the paperwork that was included and then throw the packaging away.
Something about this deal keeps eating at me, so I do some research. Turns out that I don't have a TacMag, I have the cheaper Kimber magazine. So I call Kimber today to question the problem. They may have packaged the magazine wrong, but I suspect that someone may have switched them in the store.
Kimber rep is very polite, but says sorry I can't help you at all. He says that if I had bought the mag directly from Kimber, they would just send out another magazine as a replacement. Next time do your ordering from us.
Am I going to die or suffer greatly from this, NO I won't. But you would think a large corporation like Kimber would have wanted to go the extra step and maybe some Customer Service would have kicked in.
Thank you for letting me vent.
Rant over, Dennis
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#1]
No colorfull language. No telling them where to stick the mag. You don't even sound that mad. Not much of a rant at all,

0/10
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfectly capable of ranting off the charts but not really sweating the small stuff.
Dennis
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
What did the store tell you when you asked them about it? That's where I would have started.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly I don't think that's Kimbers problem, that falls on the store you bought it at. Sounds to me like either a employee or a customer decided to upgrade their mag. And you buy not checking and tossing your receipt and packaging got burned.

But what I don't understand is how you missed noticing the difference, the ProTac packaging is clear, you get a full visual of the mag and the mag say's Pro Tac on it in big letters. This pic isn't very clear, but you can see on the bottom of the mag 45 ACP Kimpro tac mag. Buy the way I got these on sale awhile back from KentuckyGun for less then $20 a mag. I use them for flush fitting 8 round mags in my Ed Brown Special Forces Carry, Kimber SuperCarry Pro HD and Kimber CDP Pro. They work excellent.
" />
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Seems to be a problem Academy needs to look into. Have heard from several people that you really need to inspect any guns you buy there completely before leaving the store and before firing them. I have personal knowledge of a rifle purchased by a LEO that was missing the disconnector from the AR pattern rifle he bought from them, along with  couple of other parts. ie takedown spring detent, buffer retainer and spring. Gun also had a defective buffer tube which would not allow the gun to be charged for firing.

Good thing he took it back, because if he had fired it without a disconnector.............. Acadaemy guy came with him and paid for the replacement parts. Academy guy said he thought the problem was with the Distribution Center where the guns get "inspected" upon receipt from the manufacturer.

Sadly the LOE was not very knowledgeable about one of his duty weapons, as this problem was only identified the first time he took the weapon to the range prior to qualifying with it. I have never shot a gun in my life without first verifying complete and correct functioning of that gun beforehand, but thats just me.

Caveat emptor................
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Went to Academy Sports looking for a compact 1911 mag. They only had one left so I buy it. Its supposed to be a TacMag. I get it home and read the paperwork that was included and then throw the packaging away.
Something about this deal keeps eating at me, so I do some research. Turns out that I don't have a TacMag, I have the cheaper Kimber magazine. So I call Kimber today to question the problem. They may have packaged the magazine wrong, but I suspect that someone may have switched them in the store.
Kimber rep is very polite, but says sorry I can't help you at all. He says that if I had bought the mag directly from Kimber, they would just send out another magazine as a replacement. Next time do your ordering from us.
Am I going to die or suffer greatly from this, NO I won't. But you would think a large corporation like Kimber would have wanted to go the extra step and maybe some Customer Service would have kicked in.
Rant over, Dennis
View Quote

You didn't know what you were buying and now it is Kimber's fault.

Gotcha.

I bet you wear a helmet all the time.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gotcha.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rant over, Dennis

Gotcha.

Obvoiusly he didn't know what he was buying... He bought a Kimber

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Did you try going back to the store from which you made the purchase? Before ranting about a manufacturer I'd check the the store front. Maybe someone there swapped it out.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rant over, Dennis

Gotcha.

Those of us who bought Kimbers early enough LOVE them. Not a single issue with mine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have three Kimbers, a friend has two.  All are flawless and actually get shot regularly.  

I use Novak and Chip McCormick mags.  My Kimber 9mm mag has jammed twice in the first 500 rounds.   My McCormick mags have jammed zero times.  

Shop at CDNN, Midway, CMC, and Brownells for better prices and service than the big box store.  They all have better politics and they will ship you the exact product they have advertised.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#11]
The Tac Pro mags are ok.  When I want new mags for my Warrior I choose Wilson 47D.  Consistently decent quality.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#12]
1st Kimber whatever mags suck do not buy Kimber mags.
2nd Buy Wilson ETM, 47D CMC PowerMags, Tripp Cobra, or Mec-Gar
3rd Thank me later.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Why is this Kimbers responsibility?

How do they know you didnt buy the standard mag and wanto switch it out for free?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
You said it yourself that you suspect someone swapped the packaging at the store, why would you expect Kimber to compensate you in the first place? Manufacturers are never responsible for theft.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#15]
dont feed the trolls.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I like Kimbers. Their magazines, not so much. I have a Custom TLE/RL II and a Stainless Pro Raptor. I've owned other Kimbers in the past. I always put the included Kimber magazine back in the box and use Wilson Combat or Tripp Research magazines. I've never had any issues with any of my Kimbers. I used to be a big fan of Colt. Until I tried Kimber and never went back.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:15:49 PM EDT
[#17]
So Kimber should go the "Extra mile" for a customer who isn't even a customer, but bought an after market mag?

See, Kimber corp. stays in by not being retarded. Someone calling them saying they bought an aftermarket mag but got a Kimber mag doesn't rate a freebie magazine bacause they were too stupid to know what they purchased.

Your "rant" deserves negative numbers. Carpe Diem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top