Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2015 7:46:37 PM EDT
I've wondered many times why the Solo isn't more popular than it is? I think the price may be the #1 reason they sale from 699 to 799 at my local gun shop. The fit and finish of these pistols is high end and they are super small and light weight for a 9mm pistol. Even more so than my PM9 Kahr which most people consider very small overall. The trigger is good, they are very accurate and recoil isn't to bad even with plus P loads. Overall these pistols really fit the bill for a perfect small/lite , 9mm cal carry pistol. Using good ammo they run flawless also even after thousands of rounds fired with normal cleaning. Anyway I'm a huge fan of this model I've owned two and shot a few more with anyout issues on the range or carried daily.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#1]
my exp has been the same we have 2 stainless versions both have been awsome no issues great guns.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Some of the first ones had issues, but the one I picked up last year runs great.  The ergonomics are great and it's small enough to pocket carry in most of my clothes (I usually wear jeans or cargo pants).  I really do think the Kimber name scares off a lot of people.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a new NAA Pug 22mag yesterday at my local GS and noticed they had sold the last three Solo's they had instock this week. They had zero micro's left instock also . He said the micros have been selling super fast and are hard to get new ones right now do to demand.

I asked him about people returning with issues on Kimber pistols and he stated in the last 12 months he remembered one customer with a extractor issue on a 1911 45acp which they returned and it was fixed by Kimber and two Solo's that were alittle ammo sensitive They recommend a few different types of hotter 124gr and 147gr ammo which ended those Solo  issues.They sale lots of Kimber pistols in fact he said his issue as a owner is he can't get them fast enough Kimber is alittle slow getting new stock delivered.

If you read the Internet every Kimber out there is falling apart. I swear I've never seen so much negativity on a Americam made company no less. You would think Kimber was made in China or something. LOL

Personally I've owned around a half dozen plus different Kimber pistols , one  Kimber rifle and have been very pleased with the fit,finish and performance. I don't know if I'm just lucky,  but they  all function with all the ammo I've tried in the 1911's and Micro. The Solo is ammo sensitive I have to say it loves hot 124 to 147gr ammo and works flawless with that in mind.If  you throw in 115gr or less and non plus p type ammo you can have issues for sure. Both my Solos run perfect with 135gr +p  Hornady Critical Defense or Ranger 147gr HP I've never had a jam yet with this ammo and fired lots of it.

The Hornady 135gr +p is nasty on wild hogs I've had to dispatch 30-40 hogs already this year in traps on our farm. It's been a bad year the hogs have rooted up a lot of our crop fields in some areas I would say 30% loss already even with heavy trapping and selective shooting for the last 18 months.Between the hogs and floods this year I'm about ready to quit Farming!

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 9:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
You know what people say about consumers. For every good experience a consumer tells one person. For every negative experience a consumer tells ten people. I do not own a Kimber, but I've been considering getting a Solo for the wife.

I've seen the same type of feedback on American made Sigs, but to tell you the truth my P229 Elite performs just as well as my German P228.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I just ordered one, Friday. The one I fondled Friday seemed very nice. They had a chrome one I wanted a DC-the Black one. Yes the price was a shade higher than other brands, but I really wanted a true pocket pistol and the Solo really seemed to fit the bill. I am looking forward to getting it and taking it for it's first range day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#6]
They arent as popular because of the price for one.  You can get a Shield or XDS or G43 for like half the price almost.  

They are also notorious for being finicky with ammo.  Only certain kinds of 124 gr and mainly 147 gr.

Known to choke on 115s.  

I personally love how they look and feel but I like my 43 just as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#7]
At one point, I had 3 Kimbers. Zero issues,  great value
I decided to sell and upgrade to a Wilson Combat CQB.

The knock against Kimber, is quality is hit and miss.  Like most mfgs, MIM parts and a rush to ship.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm happy with my Solo for what it is, a pocket sized 9mm.  It's accurate, well made and has had no ammo issues even with 115 gr pmc.  Shooting the critical defense +P is not fun.  Even the 115 gr PMC isn't fun to shoot more than 50.  I have it for when I need something very small that still packs enough punch.  

Dean
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top