Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2015 10:50:40 AM EDT
Won this at my local gun bash this past weekend.  I had a pick of the table between various long guns and pistols.  I did not own a 1911 so that was the at the top of my list.  There was a Sig Sauer TACOPS that caught my eye, but when I won it was already gone.  So I picked the next best 1911 which was this Kimber Custom II.  There was also a Rock Island, and a Remington R1.  Any bit of advise for a new 1911 owner would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTH

In before the haters.

Good grab.
Lots of people here will tell you what a hunk of garbage you picked.
I have one that's 13yrs old and never had a problem with it.

Shoot the crap out of it and enjoy
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#2]
"Rumors" are the old Kimbers are nice and the new ones not so much. I've heard good an bad from people that actually own them just like EVERY OTHER gun in the world. I am a fan of Kimbers myself and think you did well. Love the classic look you got there.

As far as advice, shoot the hell out of it and don't skimp out on mags. Chip McCormick & Wilson Combat are the best.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
You chose well! Be glad the Sig was gone!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got a Kimber Pro Carry Custom and wow it is a great shooter and accurate!  It replaces a RI Tactical 2011 and does it incredibly well.

Advice you asked for:  don't scratch the finish re-installing the slide release.   Just do google search to find out how this happens and how you can avoid it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:26:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Great gun. I am a Colt fanboy but I like my Kimbers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had 2 Customs, both series, and a TLE II. The reason I sold the 2 customs is I was young and stupid!  My sample of 3 have all ran great.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Kimber Pro Carry 2 that is a great carry gun. It needs refinished due to all the draw and holstering drills I do and will have it cerakoted at some point in the somewhat near future. I think my next 1911will be a Springfield armory Loaded with the phosphate coating though. And like someone else said before don't skimp on magazines either. I run Wilson Combat's exclusively aside from the factory mag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the same pistol with black grips "it's my only 1911" I've shoot the shit out of that bad boy , steel challenges, USPSA & with the guys at the range it has never missed a beat, I also CC it offend, damn good pistol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice. Enjoy and report back with your exp.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the same pistol & I won it also, I love it great gun, I carry it a lot the finish is holding up very well & I treat my pistols like tools.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice score but those grips are you should look into VZ grips.

I have had good luck with my Stainless Target II and Grand Raptor.  I did change the recoil rod and spring bushing to a GI from the FLGR and ditched the plastic main spring housing on my Kimbers for metal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top