Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2015 12:20:49 AM EDT
I don't own a 1911 or .45 for that matter. My current carry is a Sig 9mm. I have shot several .45's  / 1911 recently and would like one for a carry weapon.

I want a Kimber. My first choice is a Kimber Raptor Pro stainless. My reasons for this selection besides its appearance. It comes with ambi safety, night sights and I think the stainless steel finish will wear better in a holster for edc. There are other Kimbers that are less in price with similar features.

What Kimber would you suggest for an EDC and why? Where would you buy it? Online? FTF at a gun dealer?

Would you send it to Kimber or anywhere for any custom work?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 3:01:26 AM EDT
[#1]
My main carry gun the past 14 years has been a CDP Pro, it's been a fantastic gun and the finish has held up amazingly well. But I have to disclose this is the old finish that is not used anymore. It is not as pretty as the current finish but takes far more abuse.
I also have a Super carry Pro HD, that I really like, beautiful black coating, but will not last like the old CDP's. I recently installed a Wilson flat recoil spring system in it and so far really like it, no more tool for disasemble.
I do not like stainless guns, nothing wrong with them, just not my thing. I think the number one question should be how much of an issue is weight, do you want a heavier all steel carry gun or a lighter alloy. When I carry the SCPHD I can feel the added weight on my hip, the CDP is more comfortable to carry.
Also, are you OK with a firing pin safety (CDP) or want a series 70 (SCPHD), Kimber has many models with and without a FPS.
Good luck in your search, make a list of your wants and don't wants and check out thier site. I'm sure one of them will fit the bill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top