Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2015 8:16:47 PM EDT
Got a new Kimber TLE last week. Took it to the range today to break it in.

It shot 100 rounds of Federal ball ammo 230gr flawlessly, and I shot 50 Winchester 3gun 230gr. The 3gun ammo is FMJ, but it has a flat nose, and the very first round the gun ever chambered got hung up (I racked the slide as opposed to hitting the release on an open slide). Another one hung up in the first 20 rounds, and I had one FTF, but it had a solid primer strike. I don't know why they'd make .45 fmjs wwith a flat nose.

The gun is very accurate , and I tried out a new 8" target. Shooting 1911s at static steel is great fun. It's going to cost a fortune to break in though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My TLE doesn't like flat nosed ammo either, but has been 100% with round nosed ammo, either FMJ or cast 230gr loads.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I picked up a Wilson ETM, and 200 rounds of Winchester 1911 ammo. I shot 50 rounds of JHP and 50 rounds of FMJ that matches the profile of the hollow points. It fed it all, but I did notice when dropping the slide on a full mag that the JHP kinda chugged into the barrel.

The gun doubles good and it's really accurate. I'm almost to the point of preferring single action with a safety to DA/SA.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, I picked up a Wilson ETM, and 200 rounds of Winchester 1911 ammo. I shot 50 rounds of JHP and 50 rounds of FMJ that matches the profile of the hollow points. It fed it all, but I did notice when dropping the slide on a full mag that the JHP kinda chugged into the barrel.

The gun doubles good and it's really accurate. I'm almost to the point of preferring single action with a safety to DA/SA.
View Quote

That is exactly how I solved my Kimber having the same issue with certain rounds.  I had hell with different mags in my Stainless Target II feeding certain ammo.  Switched to ETM's and have never had the problem since.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 10:38:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had one malfunction since I switched to the ETMs, even though I've still been using the 7 round mag at the range (malfunction was with an ETM). Im about at 400-500 rounds through it now, including a mag of Federal HST +P and Winchester Ranger T-series, and 50 Winchester 1911 Hollow points. I added a Colt commander to the collection since, and found that I like the Kimber much better in several areas.

One thing to note, it has been completely reliable since I greased the rails with mil comm.

I'm noticeably quicker with my striker fired guns though, and still see a lot of advantages to them. Always loved 1911s though, and glad that I've had the opportunity to get into them this year.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top