Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2014 2:14:30 PM EDT
http://www.kimbertalk.com/forums/gunsmith/1759-common-issues-diagnosis-corrective-action.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Its been awhile since I linked this and was curious for those that read it if it was helpful? Consistent with your findings? Though I have been a member here for years I dont post much but do know this forum's members are not shy to debate subjects.  Seemed odd there were no comments.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 2:04:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have read it on the kimber talk forum, it is an excellent post and extremely accurate. I am a firm believer in the plunk test, when I reload my Wilson case gauge stays in its box and the tightest chamber, lest amount of lead .45 barrel I have is used for the plunk test.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:51:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Never heard of the plunk test till I joined the Original CZ Forum.  They talk about it quite a bit.

I started reloading for .45 ACP/1911's in 1978, when I got my old Colt 1911.  Next was a Colt Combat Commander.  Then a Series 80 Colt Government Model.

Never an issue with any ammo, factory or reloads with those guns.  Everything worked.

Then I got a Series 70 Government model.  It would bounce the semi wadcutter bullets up into a nose up stovepipe feed "jamb".  I learned to seat those "short" bullets out a little farther to work in the Series 70.  The slightly longer bullets still fed fine in the other Colts.

However, the XD in .45 acp won't chamber those slightly longer rounds.  So that's when I found out, "duh, every thing that works in my 1911's (and even in my P14) won't work in the XD"  I checked and sure enough (I didn't even know it was called a plunk test) the rounds would not fully chamber in the barrel when dropped in nose first.  Obvious at least that one XD had rifling that started much closer to the case mouth that my 1911 pistols.

My decision was to not reload for the XD.

Ran into a similar issue with my son's Beretta.  It won't chamber ammo that works just great in my M&P .40 S&W and my CZ .40 S&W.

So, what is the solution for most folks?  Get rid of the short chambered guns?  Don't shoot them?  Don't reload for them? Take the barrel to a gunsmith and have the leade increased?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top