Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 9:33:50 PM EDT
How about that plastic housing on my Ultra Carry?  Will it hold up or do I need to get a steel or aluminum one?

It's all good so far, but I tend to look at years down the road and that spring is pretty stout..
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I used my plastic msh for about two years and it probably would have held out far longer.  Eventually i just got bored and put a Smith and Alexander one on, but it was not due to the plastic MSH failing.  

On a side note I have not had to replace any MIM parts either.

To most people its just a personal preferance thing than a reliability issue.  

ETA: I however have not taken my Kimber to any hard use/heavy round count classes either.  It has just been an EDC and plinker piece.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.

I still think of any 1911 type pistol as multi-generational, since I have some real old timers that I hope to pass down to family.  I just don't trust the plastic parts for a 50-60 year period, even without hard use.

So, I guess that I'm not tied to Kimber as a source for a replacement.  I'm not too familiar with the compact 1911's with respect to parts interchanging.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a used Kimber that has a few thousand rounds through it and the plastic MSH is fine. The pin that holds the MSH in your gun is also supporting the plastic under the spring. IMO, it's not going anywhere and the spring will fatigue before the plastic gives way.

With that said, you may want to swap it out for a metal one just to change the weight and balance of the gun more than the function of the MSH. I did on another Kimber I have. The grip safety is also lighter than other makes out there as they were able to design the mold to use less material.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Colt uses them too, so it must be Tier 1.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Never had an actual problem with one but I have changed a couple of them just because I wanted the grippier bite that only a metal one provides.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought a used Kimber that has a few thousand rounds through it and the plastic MSH is fine. The pin that holds the MSH in your gun is also supporting the plastic under the spring. IMO, it's not going anywhere and the spring will fatigue before the plastic gives way.

With that said, you may want to swap it out for a metal one just to change the weight and balance of the gun more than the function of the MSH. I did on another Kimber I have. The grip safety is also lighter than other makes out there as they were able to design the mold to use less material.
View Quote

Well if the pin is supporting the spring tension, that would change my outlook a little.  Food for thought.

I do like the super light weight of this pistol. It always surprises me when I pick it up just how light it is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Link for the MSH?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:31:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine broken on my CDP II while firing. After taking the shot I could feel something poking into my hand. Looked down and saw that the mainspring housing have shattered. Not something I was expecting from a gun that cost that much. So I bought a aluminum one and hand fitted it, then sold the gun. It was the last of my Kimbers, had owned close to a dozen and have not bought one since.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The plastic MSH is the first thing I changed on my Kimbers.... I put a chainlink checker on on my Grand Raptor and just a stainless checkered one on my SS Target II.  I also removed the full length guide rods and put in GI ones.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
The plastic MSH is the first thing I changed on my Kimbers.... I put a chainlink checker on on my Grand Raptor and just a stainless checkered one on my SS Target II. I also removed the full length guide rods and put in GI ones.
View Quote

Plus one.  Plastic may be OK, but we have cold winters here and I could see one breaking when dropped.  Nope, I don't plan on dropping my pistol.  I use the GI guide rod with a wolff spring too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I never had a problem from the one on my Custom. I did replace it because I went with an arched housing.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I am just getting around to changing the one on my CDP Pro. But aside from appearance can't say anything bad about it. I have owned the gun for almost 14 years, carry it often and have over 6000 rounds fired with it. Putting a blued EB chainlink in it, think it will look cool.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Changed my MSH on my SS Raptor Pro II as soon as I got it. Ed Brown MSH. The gun has been running flawlessly since I got it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:16:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have a link to what mainspring housing would fit a series 1 ultra CDP?

Any 1911 commander size?  I understand some fitting may be needed to get it to slide in but don't want a lot of work either.  

Something simple to match this beut would be nice. Links please.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Colt uses them too, so it must be Tier 1.
View Quote

My Colt Officer I bought in the mid 90's still has it's original plastic mainspring housing.  No sign of issues.

Plastic is fine for this component.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I changed mine out on my carry gun, it was a little sharp/uncomfortable on the lower part of my hand, and I like knowing that I can smash a window with the butt of the gun and it will still function (a very unlikely scenario, but two tools are better then one), I heard a police officer talking about trying to use the butt of his glock to break a window, the window did not break, the mag puked its guts and all the ammo out on the ground.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Officer size.  Never needed to fit one.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. And FWIW, I went with a VZ aluminum MSH on my New Agent, just out of principle.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
If you want a nice main spring housing try looking at a Smith & Alexander it's one of the best upgrades for the Kimber handgun's period.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top