Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2014 1:22:18 PM EDT
I purchased a kimber custom II a couple of weeks ago after deliberating on which company most deserved my business. I narrowed my choices down to STI Spartan V, SA Loaded, and the Kimber Custom II. I wasn't crazy about the sights on the STI because after reliability has been proven I like my firearms for not only target but self defense and carry as well. So I was able to appreciate the more smooth sights of the Kimber.

I read many poor reviews, and heard remarks from friends of friends on all three firearms and many praising all three. After narrowing it down to the kimber and the loaded, I strictly went with the Kimber because it was about $100 cheaper. I was able to put that cash into a pair of Chip McCormick slim carry rosewood grips, and 3 power mags. I'm left still wanting the loaded and one day it will be mine, perhaps in SS.

After being blown away by my first impressions of the Kimber when I went to have it transferred to me, I noticed a very slight bit of play in the slide, I didn't expect this due to everyone talking about kimber and their tight tolerances. As this is my first 1911 I was more than likely expecting a $2,500 gun fit instead of a $700 gun fit. So I brought it home and started a very intense cleaning session followed by a good dose of FrogLube. I mated it to all metal components and then extra paste was added to the slide to insure a well operating firearm during the "Break-in" period. The finish does leave something to be desired. The frame does not match the slide in color or texture. It reminded me of mating an AR15 lower and upper receiver from different companies that use slightly different anodized finishes.

I had low hopes for the break in, I planned on many failures and not to have much fun, regardless I was nervous and excited on the way to my local indoor range. I brought 570rnds, 200 Winchester FMJ,  200 Federal FMJ,  100 Remington JHP, 50 Tulammo FMJ, and 20 Hornady Custom 200 grain JHP. It ate everything like a cookie deprived blue puppet that likes to count. I shot 552 rounds total. Saved the rest for defense.

I avoided my factory Kimber mag because of the infamous bad rap they have, I didn't want it to spoil my good time. Screw it though, I loaded it up slapped it in and shot, and shot, and shot some more. No hiccups there either. Maybe I got the opposite of a lemon.

The only issue I had was 2 instances where the slide locked back with rounds still in my power-mag. I had heard of this during my weeks of creeping about the interwebs and forums. I called Kimber today and after several apologies and genuine thoughtfulness from the wonderful woman at kimber, she said she would send me a new slide lock right away.

After all the horror stories I have read, and bad press about kimber and their bad customer service, I have been blown away by this great firearm and the company that built it. I already ordered an ambi safety (because I'm a lefty) and memory bump grip safety from kimber that I can't wait to install. Perhaps the key to being happy with the outcome of things in life is to expect the absolute worst.

Also this is my first post, so Hi yall.

Regards,
Adam
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome!

I'm glad to hear your Kimber ran smoothly for the most part.  My Custom II ran like a sewing machine and drove nails right out of the box.  As far as the finish, the black oxide sucks. Also you mentioned the finish is different between the slide and frame. This could be because the frame and slide are of two different materials.  When I sent mine in to a local smith to be refinished, I found that mine had a stainless steel frame and a carbon steel slide underneath the black oxide finish. I had no idea until it was sent in for the refinish. You could probably take a magnet and check to see if this is the case with yours. Not really a problem unless you wanted to blue the entire gun like I intended to do. Now I have a two tone gun which wasn't my intention, but it actually looks pretty good like this.

Enjoy your new Kimber!

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the welcome!

I'm happy to hear you enjoy yours as well. That is interesting about the different steels being used, I'll have to try the magnet test out.

I just installed my new grip safety and ambidextrous safety. Easy drop in parts but I did some extra work on them for a better fit. The ambidextrous safety, after having the firearm completely reassembled, had a little wiggle to it. It wasn't enough to bother me but I left work early to get this package off my doorstep, and do the installation. So I pulled it back apart and found the wiggle was being caused by a somewhat sloppy fit at the dovetail where both halves of the safety connect. Protecting the one half with a paper towel I used some sturdy small pliers to apply enough pressure to tighten up the dovetail and give a much more tight fit. Put everything back together, double and triple checked safety, and the wiggle is totally gone with now a very positive "click" into safe or fire.

Wish I could post some pics, but I have no computer only my smartphone and can't figure out how it's done.

Regards,
Adam
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a quick update. I received the new slide lock from Kimber, along with a business card from the women who helped me, and a "Kimber" bumper sticker. I installed the new slide lock and hit the range, 300 rounds later no issues to report. I couldn't be more happy with Kimber and the Custom 2, they have both preformed well.

Regards,
Adam
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you will find the Custom II to be a great gun that will serve you well for a long time.  I am very pleased with mine.  In my opinion it's the best bang for the buck that Kimber offers. Meaning that it should shoot just as well as their more expensive models.

Someday when my Meprolight tritiums go dead, I will probably replace them with Wilson Combat's Combat Pyramid Tritium Sights and a Wilson Combat upswept beavertail to match my customized Springfield Armory, because these two items are the only things about the Kimber that I don't really care for. It's not that they don't work, it's  just that I don't think they look as nice and besides, it would be neat to have the two different brand guns more closely match one another.  I wish that when I ordered the night sights initially for it, that I would have just put the Wilson's on then instead of the Meprolights.

All that being said, the Kimber feels good and shoots good bone stock regardless.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I was seriously considering installing Night Sights on my Custom II but I've grown to enjoy the plain black battle sights. Also the SA Loaded comes with night sights, so when I get that I'll have night sights.

Adam
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you like your Kimber.

I currently have two. A custom classic I bought when they first came out. It hated the mag it came with and would jam. I use mostly mecgar mags for it when I conceal carry it. Shoots all ammo with no malfunctions.

Last month I bought a pro carry II with plain no dot sights. The shop I go to had them on sale. Now this one just laughs at all my mags and ammo I tested. 500 rounds with no malfunctions.

Now this gun will be for carry also, so I decided to add night sights. I started looking for factory sights and found a set at sears of all places. 104 bucks  plus shipping. Manufacture codes says they were made last October.

Happy shooting.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:53:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Kimber.

Reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had one of my Kimbers since 1998. Never given me any problems. I've bought and sold a few others and none of them gave me any problems.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
That's great to hear! I've got about 1,500rnds through mine now. I've changed some things but not much. I got a 1 piece FLGR from Wilson because the kimber FLGR came unscrewed and caused my first failure.  I didn't like the idea of it happening again so I opted for the 1 piece. I also installed a Wilson combat steel mainspring housing. That took a little fitting but that's fine with me. I prefer an exact and tight fit. Also I got a EGW.com (Awesome people and customer service) "carry bevel, angled bore" bushing. It's much tighter than the kimber original (because it made to the exact dimensions of my gun) also I like the SS bushing look over the blue. And she still runs like a champ.

Adam
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top