Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2014 3:11:06 PM EDT
I switched out the grip safety on my Custom ll TLE for  an OEM Kimber tactical bump safety from Natchez...don't know if I like it or not.

What's the hive's view on these things?

Yes I'm bored...

Edited for clarity.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of that style of safety......got a link or a pic?
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never heard of that style of safety......got a link or a pic?
View Quote

Grip safety with tactical bump
link
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been using the Ed Brown memory groove safeties for years, same thing.  

I like them, they insure the same hand placement each time I grasp the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 2:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking about adding one to mine for a while now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The hump helps keep the grip safety bottomed out if you have really big hands.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The hump helps keep the grip safety bottomed out if you have really big hands.
View Quote
That's it.  It's not a new idea as it's been around at least a couple decades, but the "tactical bump" moniker for it is pretty new and not horribly descriptive.  

They are great if you need them, but a waste of time and money if you don't, and you'll most likely only need it if you have large meaty hands that might otherwise fail to fully depress the grip safety.

Prior to this, it was not uncommon for some shooters to drill the frame and grip safety and pin it in the depressed position - which of course de-activates the safety function.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
The factory OEM grip safety does the same exact thing with regards to positive release.  It's thicker at the rear than a standard grip safety.  The only difference between their original and the "Tactical Bump" is that the original has material above the bump, for lack of a better description.  Either will accomplish the same thing.  It just comes down to looks and tactile feedback.  I suppose and argument can be made that you can feel the grooves on the bottom pad, which is the theory behind the "Memory Groove" pad on the Ed Brown.  Those are some shallow serrations, and you would have to have some pretty lilly soft hands to feel those.  You can though feel the top of the pad, so there is an unconscious tactile feedback letting you know if you have a consistent grip.  It's a small personal preference thing.  I like the looks and the feel of that "Tactical Bump" safety more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I have not switched but plan to. For some reason since attaching a light to my TLE it has adjusted my grip and I don't always engage the grip safety enough to fire. I don't have this issue on my Kimber Tactical Ultra II that does not have a memory bump. My Springfield Champion Operator has the memory bump and I have no issues engaging that safety. Its funny I was at the gun counter and a salesman was playing with the Kimber TLE and he was having the same issue engaging the grip safety fully to clear the trigger. He commented that's strange I've never that problem. It's an easy fix not sure which one to replace the standard grip safety with. But I will start looking so if I ever need it in the middle of the night I don't have any trouble pulling the trigger.   6/13  Just picked up with an Ed Brown tactical bump grip safety. Do not have any of the issues I had before with the grip safety.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I switched mine back.

The new Kimber part was a drop in fit with no issues. The finish matched perfectly, and the new grip safety functioned flawlessly....however...

It felt exactly the same in my hands, so there was no advantage there, and in the end I actually preferred the original safety appearance wise. Aesthetically the original just looked right.

So there it is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Kimber Custom II TLE RL tha does not have that bump and a Night Hawk Custom that does have the bump. I have to admit, I do prefer the bump. It just gives me a more positive tactile grip on the grip safety that feels better in my hand. I may have to add one to my Kimber..
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I switched mine back.

The new Kimber part was a drop in fit with no issues. The finish matched perfectly, and the new grip safety functioned flawlessly....however...

It felt exactly the same in my hands, so there was no advantage there, and in the end I actually preferred the original safety appearance wise. Aesthetically the original just looked right.

So there it is.
View Quote

I'm with you on this one.....Personally I disconnect all my grip safeties because I think they are absolutely worthless to begin with....How many safeties does a 1911 need.....to me all you need are a functioning disconnector and the thumb safety......Comparing these two are just like comparing the GI guide rod to a full length one......No difference whatsoever in workability.....It is just whatever everybody's brain thinks they need......whether either one of them work better than the stock safety or guide rod will be debated until eternity!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top