Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2014 2:33:34 AM EDT
I have a couple questions. First is going to be about the finish on the Kimber Tactical Custom II. I will post pictures below but you can obviously tell a huge difference in the color of the frame on these guns. Were certain ones made at different times with different finishes? Did they just change over the years? I bough this gun new about a week ago. Mine has a dark greenish/grey tint to it. Many others have a light grey or dark grey tint to the frame and some have a od green looking frame. Anyone know whats up with that? My second question is... since this gun has an aluminum frame I've heard it's not good to use the original, crappy Kimber mag because it has metal followers. Anyone know why this is? Can you damage it? I've heard to only use mags with the plastic followers. Can someone tell me why?

Here are a couple pictures of the gun that I found online, with the grey tone

</a>" />

</a>" />

Now here are a couple random pics I found online of the OD greenish tone

</a>" />

</a>" />

Now here are a couple pictures of MY gun with the greenish/grey/I dont know what the hell color it is tone.

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

Link Posted: 1/4/2014 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My Tac II was made in 2009. It has a dark gray frame. With the alloy frame if you use mags with the sharp pointed follower like regular CMC power mags they will dig into the soft alloy and leave marks as a round is cycled. I use Tripps in mine but, Wilson and CMC plus mags will work also.
Here's a pic of mine with my Desert Warrior.

The scaring pointed followers leave.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Tac II was made in 2009. It has a dark gray frame. With the alloy frame if you use mags with the sharp pointed follower like regular CMC power mags they will dig into the soft alloy and leave marks as a round is cycled. I use Tripps in mine but, Wilson and CMC plus mags will work also.
Here's a pic of mine with my Desert Warrior.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/F6049DAC-572C-4807-8D6A-41992B70DFCB-22189-00000A491099045C.jpg
The scaring pointed followers leave.
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z207/2814V/DSCN1309-1.jpg
View Quote

Damn, that's some pretty aggressive scaring on that frame. I got some Wilson mags with rounded plastic followers so I guess I'm fine. It's pretty shitty that Kimber not only ships a shit magazine with their guns but they also give you only 1 mag, and it's a mag that will also fuck up your gun (assuming you have an aluminium frame).
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It is only cosmedic, it will not hurt the function or life of the firearm. And Kimber is not the only one that dose that. The base Kimber mags are not that bad as good as any other inexpensive mag. But just about everyone upgrades to a more costly and better mag.
It's all part of owning and operating 1911s, mags will make or brake the 1911 much more then any other handgun.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 1:45:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Have new Tactical Ultra II and unlike other's I have seen mine is almost black with the frame matching the slide. The mag issue on alloy framed 1911's is that the follower can dip forward and scratch the ramp. I have a magwell on the 3 1911's and I use Tripp 8 round or Tripp 7 round on the compact. The base plate on the Tripp fits perfect so you can seat the magazine firmly and it does not extend below the level of the magwell. I have used them for years and have never had magazine issue. Tripp and Wilson are top of the line magazines.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
06KR thanks for sharing the pics, especially the one pointing out the scaring that sharp followers leave behind.  When I go this weekend hopefully to break in my custom covert 2 I will check for that after my first mag.  I have the kimPro tac mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top