Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2013 7:16:58 PM EDT
What pound spring should be used in a full size 1911 shooting regular 230 gr?
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#1]
16lbs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#2]
16lbs is what they come with from the factory and is always the safe bet to go with.

With that said all my full size 1911's have the Wolff 18.5lb recoil springs in them. It makes the 1911 softer on the recoil as well as slowing down the slide so it doesn't ram so hard on shooting which keeps it from banging the frame as much. Plus I use my 1911's as my duty/off duty guns and they all have 230gr +P ammo so the recoil is more significant than it would normally be.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
16lb is standard. I can tell you from experience my Kimber's was not 16lb and was shorter than a Wolf 16lb spring and it had less than 50 rounds on it when I swapped it out.

I'm switching to a 14lb spring when I install my EGW firing pin stop.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
18lb and thank me later. they get shorter with use and just being in the gun over time. all my kimbers run 100% this way.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
My 2 SA milspecs (with gi guide rods/plugs) both have 18.5 wolf springs.

My kimber (tle 2) full size 5" ( with flgr) has a 17 pound recoil spring. Plastic msh was also swapped with ed brown metal,  and wolf 19 pound mainspring.  Gun shoots better than me, trigger around 3.5#. Absolutely reliable,  even after hundred of dirty wwb rounds in an afternoon.

Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I just changed mine to a Wolf 16# and I was surprised at how much longer the new spring was than the Kimber spring.  No stovepipes since the new spring, which were getting common with the old one.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 10:54:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just changed mine to a Wolf 16# and I was surprised at how much longer the new spring was than the Kimber spring.  No stovepipes since the new spring, which were getting common with the old one.
View Quote

At the wolf website, are all of the recoil springs OK to use on a Kimber?  I see they have  17 & 18 pound springs, but no 16 pound springs.  I have a Raptor II 5".  

Where do you guys get your replacement springs from (Recoil, firing pin & main)?

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

At the wolf website, are all of the recoil springs OK to use on a Kimber?  I see they have  17 & 18 pound springs, but no 16 pound springs.  I have a Raptor II 5".  

Where do you guys get your replacement springs from (Recoil, firing pin & main)?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ended up with a Wilson 18lbs. Since posting I have 5500 rounds through it. I will be replacing it with another of the same 18lbs spring this month.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I ended up with a Wilson 18lbs. Since posting I have 5500 rounds through it. I will be replacing it with another of the same 18lbs spring this month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  Where do you buy yours?

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought mine from Brownelles. FWIW I'm also using the Grand Raptor II.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#11]
brownells, midway or you can even order 18 lb variable springs from les baer for 6 bucks each.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
16lb is standard. I can tell you from experience my Kimber's was not 16lb and was shorter than a Wolf 16lb spring and it had less than 50 rounds on it when I swapped it out.

I'm switching to a 14lb spring when I install my EGW firing pin stop.
View Quote

Kimber uses Wolf 16lb springs.  That's a fact jack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top