Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2015 10:47:12 AM EDT
Hi guys. I finally broke down and got myself one of my dream guns a desert eagle in 44 mag. I absolutely love the gun. I have been searching day and night with no luck  I have a mark vii and want to get the 50 ae conversion. I can not find it anywhere. All I can fine is the mark xix barrel conversion. Any help would be so much appreciated
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What ammunition does it like best? I have a friend with a .357 DE and his was picky. Needed powerful plated rounds to cycle reliably. He sold it an bought a S&W revolver.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I actually haven't even shot the gun yet. It has sat in mysafe since I got it. Been sick for a week so haven't had a chance to get out. I'll let you knkw as soon as I get a chance.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have been searching day and night with no luck  I have a mark vii and want to get the 50 ae conversion. I can not find it anywhere. All I can fine is the mark xix barrel conversion.
View Quote

You essentially need the whole top end (barrel / slide / slide innards) from a MK XIX.  I don't know if MRI ever sold a "conversion kit", or just complete .50 guns back when they were doing the MK VII.  

I found a stripped slide on Gunbroker several years ago and bought it.  I then slowly pieced together all the small parts for the slide to make it work.  I did this mostly so I had a whole top end so I could go between .357 and .44 at the range without pulling the bolt out and potentially launching springs and small parts to places unknown.  If you haven't looked, buying small parts from MRI is not cheap.  I think in the end I ended up spending as much as if I'd just bought a used MK VII.  But I digress.

I have also seen DE "parts kits" occasionally on Gunbroker.  They often have everything except the frame.  Likely from guns that have been confiscated by the police and "destroyed".  But the non-receiver parts can then be sold off.  Your best bet might be to just keep watching there.  I think the last kit I saw went for $600 or so.   May or may not be worth it to you.

Having eventually bought a .50 barrel for mine, I find I shoot it once in a while, but the .44 is much more enjoyable to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:03:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What ammunition does it like best? I have a friend with a .357 DE and his was picky. Needed powerful plated rounds to cycle reliably. He sold it an bought a S&W revolver.
View Quote

For factory .44, I have had good luck with Federal and Winchester 240 gr. ammo.  I think I've seen Remington not cycle well for some people.

I've run some factory .357 through mine, but not a lot.  I think I used Magtech 158 gr.  

I mostly shoot reloads, which work fine for me.  Stick with the heavier loadings: 158 and above for .357, and 240 and above for .44.  I haven't found anything that didn't cycle in the .50, but I haven't shot a lot of factory ammo there either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top