Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2014 6:40:31 PM EDT
I find them on the Magnum Research site, MidWay and Bronwnells.
The prices range from $35 - $46.
Are they essentially all the same or are there specific ones to avoid?
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]
They are made by MRI and Pro Mag.  

I have no direct experience with the Pro Mag version, but there are plenty of people who claim they do not work well.  Based on this,  I have always stuck with the factory mags.  

CDNN has factory mags for $45.  That's about what I usually see them listed for.  Occasionally you can find them on gunbroker for a little less.  

One other thing to be aware of.  The older mags did not have as much of a cut-out on the front of the magazine.  I've got one of those, and a few of the newer ones.  Compare the scoop at the top-front of the two mags.  The one on the left looks like the bullet is going to hit it on the way out.  I haven't had any problems with it, but for the same price I prefer the newer design.

Also, I haven't tried it but some people claim .44 will feed / function just fine from a .41 magazine. Sometimes you can find those at a discount.

Oddly enough, both styles of magazine are marked "7-95" over "44".

eta: I see Check-Mate is making DE mags as well.  I have no experience with these.  But for only $6 more (Brownells lists them at $41.50 if you get dealer pricing with a C&R or other FFL), I'll stick with factory magazines.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are looking for good aftermarket mags, try Checkmate brand. I have bought several thru Midway and they work great. Think the last ones were about 45 bucks each.
  They seem to sell very fast, at least in 44mag caliber, so you might have to wait a bit till they get more in.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 6:06:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Avoid the pro-mag ones like a plague, I bought a few when I first got my gun and I had to return them as all they did was FTF every round put through them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Avoid the pro-mag ones like a plague, I bought a few when I first got my gun and I had to return them as all they did was FTF every round put through them.
View Quote

I usually avoid Pro-Mag for anything.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 5:03:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I found my .44 ProMag to be reliable.... As long as I only loaded five rounds in it at a time. Any more and the spring couldn't keep up with the slide and push the rounds up fast or high enough. The slide then would catch on the round and stop, necessitating a rearward yank on the slide in order to chamber the round.  None of my factory mags had any sort of issue, and they range in age from 2008, 1996, all the way to the pistol's original 1986-dated mag.

Go factory or go home.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I did a search on this recently looking to stock up on a couple more and I found a positive consensus with Checkmate brand, some people said they actually had better luck with them than factory. Promag suck, bought 2 and they looked like someone made them in a garage, pure junk.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Stick with the factory mags and there will be no issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top