Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2014 9:59:16 PM EDT
Ok so i know  this sounds crazy but i just picked up a eagle in .357, all i can find in my area is blazer and cheap low pressure ammo that keeps causing short cycling. Are there light spring kits to counter this and Is such a product available and reliable???
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
not as far as I know....the DE is designed to function at a certain pressure level, and will not work well unless you use the correct ammo type.If you try weaker springs , all you will do is batter your frame and slide more than normal, if it will even work.  I have using only my own reloads in my .44 mag version.  From what I have heard, the .357 is a bit pickier than the .44 because the pressure required to move that big slide is a bit tougher for the smaller round. I have been getting about a 99.8 % function level with my reloads. I have shot about 500 rounds thru mine in the 2 years I have owned it. Try Magtech ammo before you give up, since that is one of the few .44 ammo types recommended by factory, and I would expect it would do good in .357 also. . Otherwise . you would be better off if you reload for it....there is only one powder I use, Accurate #9....I have fired 250, 220 , and 180 grain bullets thru mine no problem.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
if you need more info, email me at   [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I will serch around for magtech ammo,  havent seen any lately but ill keep looking.  Thank you for the detailed information. The previous owner only put around  150rds thru it.  Wear and tear is almost none on it and i would hate to mess up the frame.  I think its an early production. Only has a four digit serial number and mags are stamped 1-84.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You do have an early one.  I don't recall my serial number but my mags have a 87 date.

Before I started reloading the only thing I could find that worked properly were 158grain bullets.

With reloads I have to really push the limits to make a 125grain bullet work.  So I primarly just make 158grain bullets for plinking.  For bowling pin matches I use a 170grain bullet.

Give me a shout if you have any other questions.  Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a 4-digit MK-I briefly.  I think the only ammo I ran through it was 158 gr. handloads. From my notes, the one mag of Magtech I ran over the chronograph in my MK-XIX cycled 8 of 9. (ave. velocity was 1286 fps., BTW).  Supposedly the MK-I / IIV weren't as picky, as they have a lighter slide.

I mostly run handloads. As noted, stick with 158 gr. or heavier bullets, as the lightweight stuff doesn't run as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Update:  after a through inspection and noting that the recoil springs are stiff as hell,  i left the slide locked to the rear for a few nights to compress the springs.  Just ran 100 rounds of 158gr blazer with only 03 fail to feed on a new round.  Seems to be working well with Mil-tech1 and a lil TLC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 3:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My experience has been that the Desert Eagle likes more powerful loads.  I had similar experiences with some of the Blazer ammo when I owned a .357 Mark I.  Typically 158gr. was more reliable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top