Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2014 10:15:57 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just picked up a brand new MK XIX Desert Eagle in .44 mag. I got the burnt bronze model that has recently come out and it's drop dead sexy. I did my research for months and saved up my pennies and knew that there would probably be some issues along the way since many reviews about the Desert Eagle seem to be mixed.

I love the feel, the heft, and the accuracy but I've been having a big reliability issue with the gun.

I have been emailing MRI seeking help with my issue so I'll copy and paste what I emailed them previously. If anyone who has experience with the Desert Eagle in .44 can shed some light on the issue I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Email to MRI:

I purchased two different boxes of ammo listed on the list of recommend ammunition to use in the gun. The exact catalog number and everything. First was the American Eagle (AE44A) and the other was the PMC Starfire (44SFA).

Additionally I purchased a box of ammunition NOT on the list, and it was Prvi Partizan 240 grain JHP Hollow Point (PPR41).

My results were the following:

The American Eagle and the PMC both fired and ejected correctly. However, both brands would not lock the slide back at all after the last round. Also, occasionally they would jam in the gun (as the last round was being loaded into the chamber it would get caught at an angle and jam up the gun.

Now, about the Prvi Partizan ammunition. It had the same results as the previous two, in that after the last round, the slide would not lock back at all. However, unlike the other two brands, each round did seem to chamber great without any jams.

First thing that comes to mind is possibly a magazine issue. However, I am somewhat doubting that because when I first tried the gun with some hot, heavy Buffalo Bore brand ammunition, each round chamber perfectly, ejected perfectly, and locked the slide back on the last round.

Again, I am sure I am: holding the gun properly, keeping it well lubricated but not overlubricated, and not pushing up on the magazine at all.

I understand that sometimes new guns require a break-in period, but after shooting dozens of brand new firearms in my lifetime I've never had this many consistent issues from the start.

Thanks,

CB
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It's new for one thing and these big twinned springed suckers are tight. Secondly, they LOVE the hot loads....the hotter, the better!. Reload hot, or buy the hottest your wallet can afford.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Please take this constructively, but be sure your grip is not putting a thumb near the slide release. I found once a grip that worked great on my Glock left my thumb on the slide release of my Sig preventing lockback on empty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Store the pistol with the slide locked back for a month or two.   Also, I find less lube is better for break in.

The function of your gun seems about 90% so the remaining 10% may just be break in.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:43:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine seems  to like Magtech  240 gr JHP better than any others.  Now I reload all my ammo for it....never a problem , just my right thumb sometimes hitting slide lock and stopping cycle.
I now reload for DE. using Accurate #9 , Sierra Silhouette bullets in 220 and240 gr. Hornandy FTX bullets work good also. But the gun needs a good midrange power load...not nessesary to use heavy load.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:17:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I wasnt aware anyone bought DE's anymore. Wow. Join date makes sense.

a member at my club has a desert eagle "collection". About 10 of them and he wheels them all out to the range in a big hardigg box. Each and every one of them is a piece of shit. All he does is flinch and clear stoppages. Lower your expectations and enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Ignore the troll and post pics of your new toy!
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Not going to slide lock is a symptom of weak ammo. OR being new.
after a few hundered well oiled rounds if still doing this then i would think there is an issue.

dont buy cheap weak bullets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top