Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2014 11:19:04 PM EDT

I have fired a buddies 44mag before and wanted a 357mag dearly ever since.

I found this one for $830 shipped, (1 Mag) I think its fair, not a real deal yet not bad.

I belive this is an older model what can you all tell me about it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a Mark I.  You can write to Magnum Research and have them run the serial number to possibly find out when it was made.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That is a Mark I.  You can write to Magnum Research and have them run the serial number to possibly find out when it was made.

Have a nice day.

Bill

View Quote
Thanks bill,

Are there any pros or cons to a mark 1?

And will it take newer production mags?
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The only con I can come up with concerning the Mark I is that you can't swap calibers like later models.  I haven't seen anything written about and diffence between magazines due to model years.  As far as I know a 357 magazine from the earliest years to the current years will fit.

I try to get out to the range at least once a month.  Usually gets a good cleaning every 500 rounds or so.  My telling point is when it fails to eject it is time to clean.

The one thing that is mostly commented about is don't shoot straight lead.  There is the possibility you could plug up the gas port.

I have been doing my own reloads since the early 90's.

Ask away with any other questions and I will do my best to answer.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Not bad at all.  My Dad once scored one at an auction with the 13"(?) barrel for $750 OTD.  People were sleeping at that auction.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 5:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The only con I can come up with concerning the Mark I is that you can't swap calibers like later models.  I haven't seen anything written about and diffence between magazines due to model years.  As far as I know a 357 magazine from the earliest years to the current years will fit.

I try to get out to the range at least once a month.  Usually gets a good cleaning every 500 rounds or so.  My telling point is when it fails to eject it is time to clean.

The one thing that is mostly commented about is don't shoot straight lead.  There is the possibility you could plug up the gas port.

I have been doing my own reloads since the early 90's.

Ask away with any other questions and I will do my best to answer.

Have a nice day.

Bill

View Quote
Yes I have heard the No lead before. And only use Full power loads.

I reload so Feeding the gun should not be too bad.

As for the  no barrel swap, I am kind of indifferent. I wanted a DE in 357mag. I have a lot of Smiths so I have ammo.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
You got a nice DE, but not a steal. Its a fair price for a mark III The chrome and stainless models are worth/cost a bit more.
I got a mark VII, the safety is a little different, but mine is 44mag. Watch gunbroker for spare mags. Enjoy a fine pistol
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got one, LOVE IT. Could care less about the caliber swap, FWIW. Nice accuracy too.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I did score two new aftermarket mags for $28 ea so that is a start
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might I ask what brand?
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#10]
You'll like it.   .357 in a DE is very tame in the recoil department.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Might I ask what brand?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Might I ask what brand?

It did not list the name in the auction, just aftermarket.

Just were delivered now I just need to make it home to see.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might I ask what brand?

ProMag is the only brand of aftermarket DE mags that I'm aware of. And they have a somewhat spotty reputation for reliability. If they run for you, so much the better. But if you have issues with the gun running, try switching to some factory mags and see if that clears things up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I also have a Mark I .357.  Mine has the SS frame, was one of the first 1000 imported into the US in '85, per Mag Research. (I paid $700 for it in '98ish)

Tip since you reload.  Don't use plated bullets, only jacketed.  I loaded up some Berry's or Rainers way back for mine, and they started leading within a few shots.  I almost turned my nice DE into a single shot!  And yes, very mild to shoot.  Fun to take to a bowling pin match!
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 7:09:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tip since you reload.  Don't use plated bullets, only jacketed.  I loaded up some Berry's or Rainers way back for mine, and they started leading within a few shots.  I almost turned my nice DE into a single shot!  And yes, very mild to shoot.  Fun to take to a bowling pin match!
View Quote

Interesting.  I shoot plated Berry's and Xtreme almost exclusively through my .357 barrel, and I've never had any problem with leading or loosing plating.  

And yes - they work well on bowling pins! (Although the barrel shown is a .44 Mag. I use .357 as my Limited gun).

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully they've improved the plating then.  My experience was a long time ago.  Been running XTP or Winchester JHP in it ever since.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
And what the hell kinda comp is on the end of your Eagle, man?  That thing is crazy!
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys it Finally got to my dealer today.

If I do clog it with Lead or what not. is it super hard to clean and get right?

And what bullet weights do you guys reconmend? 125? 158??

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
And what the hell kinda comp is on the end of your Eagle, man?  That thing is crazy!
View Quote

That's a Bowers FHB

I needed something to screw onto the end of the barrel when I wasn't running suppressed.  

The brake or the can take about half of the muzzle flip out of it.  Silencers weren't yet legal in MI when I did the pin shoot shown above.  Things have gotten better since then.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That's a Bowers FHB

http://www.bowersgroup.com/images/FHB45%20(Medium).jpg

I needed something to screw onto the end of the barrel when I wasn't running suppressed.  

The brake or the can take about half of the muzzle flip out of it.  Silencers weren't yet legal in MI when I did the pin shoot shown above.  Things have gotten better since then.

http://youtu.be/dN2CO19lIPo
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a Bowers FHB

http://www.bowersgroup.com/images/FHB45%20(Medium).jpg

http://youtu.be/dN2CO19lIPo

now we are talking.

I was thinking of suppressing it. What can are you using? And who did the work?
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Depends on the severity & the cleaning method. Best thing is to avoid SWC lead bullets at all times, IMO.

And what bullet weights do you guys reconmend? 125? 158??

I run 125gr in mine. Seems like I once heard of issues with the 110gr bullets but I can't swear to that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
  now we are talking.

I was thinking of suppressing it. What can are you using? And who did the work?
View Quote

When I was planning this, I asked around all over.  Almost nobody had seen one.  I found one picture of a suppressed .50 on the interwebs.  Once I got my barrel chopped & threaded, they seemed to come popping out of the woodwork.  I saw one at Knob Creek, and there was a post about someone else that had done one.  

I'm using a Bowers CAC-45 on it which is why the Bowers brake was the natural choice. It uses the same mounts, is the same diameter, etc.  I had a tool & die maker thread the barrel for me.  I think he was just doing it when he had time on the machines after work.  I've since talked to Mike Klos in Missouri about it, and he had said it would be no problem to do one like that.  

As far as how it does, it's not the quietest host out there.  I believe the gas system is to blame.  When the slide opens, some amount of gas bleeds off out the gas port beneath the barrel.  This gas of course does not go through the silencer, and so it makes some noise as it decompresses rapidly.  I'd have to rate it as slightly above hearing safe.  But much, much quieter than shooting unsuppressed.  That's running supersonic ammo, or subs loaded with H110.  Recently I've found AA#9 to be quieter in some other cartridges, so I'm going to have to work on a subsonic load with that powder.  

I found I had to go to 300 gr. bullets to get the gun to cycle reliably when the bullet is subsonic.  I have been able to get 240s to run some of the time with the can attached for added back-pressure.  But one day they'll run, and another they won't.  For now, I'll keep the 240s for fast loads and the 300s for subs.  

Even so, it's a fun gun to shoot.  I can nail a 6" plate at 100 yds. offhand about half the time, and it's no challenge at all when shooting from a rest.  

I've got a couple of ideas about how to mount a stock and make a carbine, but that may be some time off, if it ever happens.  Too many ideas for cool ideas kicking around in my head, and me in need of a mill and lathe.  
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice, GarrettJ, Chasboob has a CAC45 can as well.

Who did your barrel?

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:57:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I use 158 grain on a healthy charge of H110.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top