Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2014 4:04:44 PM EDT
I have a polymer BDE semi compact with 3.93" barrel.  It has maybe 1500 rounds through it max. Mainly RWS, FC, WWB, etc.

We mainly use the gun in single action (SA), but were running some drills on it, with double action (DA). What we're noticing is that sometimes the primer isn't being struck. Not any indication of a light primer strike at all. The DA pull does indeed release the hammer before the SA pull does.

MRI suggested that there may be something wrong with the sear. However, they won't sell me a sear, and think I must be crazy to want to pay them over $100 in shipping both ways, gunsmithing, and parts cost to fix.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Gun is always thoroughly cleaned, and never has been mistreated in any way.

I'd have to imagine the EAA/CZ internal parts interchange with the BDE?
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a polymer BDE semi compact with 3.93" barrel.  It has maybe 1500 rounds through it max. Mainly RWS, FC, WWB, etc.

We mainly use the gun in single action (SA), but were running some drills on it, with double action (DA). What we're noticing is that sometimes the primer isn't being struck. Not any indication of a light primer strike at all. The DA pull does indeed release the hammer before the SA pull does.

MRI suggested that there may be something wrong with the sear. However, they won't sell me a sear, and think I must be crazy to want to pay them over $100 in shipping both ways, gunsmithing, and parts cost to fix.

Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Gun is always thoroughly cleaned, and never has been mistreated in any way.

I'd have to imagine the EAA/CZ internal parts interchange with the BDE?
View Quote

CZ internals I'd guess probably don't fit, but EAA most likely will. From the ones I've been inside and compared are identical on the measurements.

As far as the issue you are describing...

The BE doesn't have any type of firing pin block aside from the decocker safety, so we can assume the hammer is just not hitting the firing pin (since you say there is no indication of a light strike. My only guess would be to check on the hammer itself because it does have a "half-cock" type of stop on it that engages when you pull it back slightly, or when you pull the trigger in DA just a bit. I may be possible that what is happening is that the hammer is releasing, but being caught by this edge before it strikes the firing pin. You could try reprofiling the hammer where it engages at this stop (not sure about how safe that would be but can't think of anything else to try outside of replacing the hammer).
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#2]

From what I found the TA-90 parts will interchange. I have a new sear on the way from Numrich and will see if it fits.

What I'm noticing though since posting, is that this seems magazine specific.  I'll know more if the sear can be swapped.

Link Posted: 2/15/2014 6:47:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd pull apart the slide and see if the FP is showing unusual wear by hanging on the FP block.
Also, it could simply be the hammer spring.

Since you're 1/2 way towards typical recoils spring replacement anyway, I'd just order the complete set from Wolff.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd pull apart the slide and see if the FP is showing unusual wear by hanging on the FP block.

Also, it could simply be the hammer spring.

Since you're 1/2 way towards typical recoils spring replacement anyway, I'd just order the complete set from Wolff.
View Quote

Firing pin looks in great shape. No unusual wear. 3000 rounds is the spring replacement guidelines for these pistols?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#5]
As a general rule of thumb, round wire recoil springs on full size guns last 5K. Mini 3" 1911 45s like the Colt Defender can last as little as 500 rounds. ( per  Colt itself )
The latest modern flat wire springs last much longer than classic round wire springs.

Since your's is a mid-sized slide pistol with round wire springs, it's not unreasonable to expect 2500-4000 round life for the recoil spring depending on the gun, hot vs target ammo and quality of the original spring.

It's best to think of gun springs like you do oil changes on a car. Skipping changing them quickly gets expensive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As a general rule of thumb, round wire recoil springs on full size guns last 5K. Mini 3" 1911 45s like the Colt Defender can last as little as 500 rounds. ( per Colt itself )

The latest modern flat wire springs last much longer than classic round wire springs.

Since your's is a mid-sized slide pistol with round wire springs, it's not unreasonable to expect 2500-4000 round life for the recoil spring depending on the gun, hot vs target ammo and quality of the original spring.

It's best to think of gun springs like you do oil changes on a car. Skipping changing them quickly gets expensive.
View Quote

Gotcha :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top