Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2017 10:56:51 AM EDT
I will be ordering my first HK next month, it will be replacing my S&W as my carry gun.
I wanted the HK P30SK at first but now the VP9SK is out what one would you choose and why?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the VP9sk, mainly because the trigger felt better. Just my .02... I dont think anyone could go wrong with either...
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty easy choice, just figure out if you want striker or hammer fired.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:12:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like my VP9SK.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like my VP9SK.
View Quote
I think this is my pick.
Already got Glocks and CZ'S so VP9SK is t he one.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 11:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
No experience with the VP9sk, but I do have a P30sk and a full-size VP9.

I was holding out for a VP9sk after getting and loving the VP9, but gave up and I bought the P30sk.  I like the P30sk, but the trigger is definitely different.

Off the bat, I'd prefer the VP9's trigger in the SK pistol, but I don't know if I like it enough to swap from what I have.  Either pistol is good, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
If you prefer hammers, P30SK. If you prefer strikers, VP9SK. I have bothe types (USP, VP9) and almost always revert back to strikers...
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry but I've seen more malfunctions in VP series guns in the last year alone than I have in all other HK's combined in my decade of ownership.

I would NOT spend money on the VP series in any flavor.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry but I've seen more malfunctions in VP series guns in the last year alone than I have in all other HK's combined in my decade of ownership.

View Quote
That is kinda disappointing to hear.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I mostly like hammer fired, have carried 1911s for 15 years, so I have two P30Ls on order. I did have the Sig P320 on order, but backed out, and that was a striker fired gun. I like my friend's wife's USP, shot it well when I got the chance, but the P30 grip is supposed to be one of the best of any handgun, and the triggers are almost the same. A small advantage goes to the USP.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I just shot my P30sk for the first this weekend. I really like it. The P30sk only comes with flat mag base plates. I was checking out the VP9sk after shooting and do like it quite a bit. Trigger is better imo and it comes with flat and extended mag base plates. I do prefer the extended base plate. I think I will get the VP9sk for the wife and order a couple extended baseplates for the P30sk.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just shot my P30sk for the first this weekend. I really like it. The P30sk only comes with flat mag base plates. I was checking out the VP9sk after shooting and do like it quite a bit. Trigger is better imo and it comes with flat and extended mag base plates. I do prefer the extended base plate. I think I will get the VP9sk for the wife and order a couple extended baseplates for the P30sk.
View Quote
My P30sk came with 1 flat and 1 pinky extended magazine earlier this year.

It's a tough call between the two.  I bought the P30sk before the VP9sk was released or ever mentioned (to my knowledge).  I had held out for a little over a year waiting to hear something about the VP9sk, and after SHOT show still heard nothing, so I got the P30sk.  I remember telling the guy at the store, "I figure there's no sure way better than buying this thing for a VP9sk to get released".  About 2 months later the VP9sk was a thing...

Anyway I have the P30sk and a fullsize VP9 (why I wanted a VP9sk).  I've held the VP9sk, and it's a tough call for me.  I'd say I like the VP9sk better.  The trigger is really the only difference, and the P30 can be had with a thumb safety.

I'm tempted to sell the P30sk to get a VP9sk or just buy a VP9sk, but for concealed carry, I think I almost prefer the P30sk trigger.  I have the DA/SA with a safety so it's either a long-heavy DA pull, or a long takeup medium weight SA pull.  Both of them are hard to AD with in a high-stress draw/shoot scenario.  And yes, training should mitigate any AD chances from happening regardless.  But I like the extra cushion the P30sks gives with the trigger pull and thumb safety.  The VP9sk trigger feels about the same as my fullsize VP9, and is an outstanding trigger.  I think I'd probably shoot marginally tighter with the VP9sk than the P30sk just because of the trigger.  Shorter reset, shorter take up, lighter pull.  It's still a heavy enough pull that I think it could work for a CCW.

There's the hammer vs. striker debate.  My full size VP9 is somewhere between 4000-5000 rounds since new and 1 (one) malfunction with Tulammo.  The P30sk has maybe 500 rounds and no malfunctions so either way I'm not too concerned with reliability.  Again, it's a close call, but if it was a simple pick one or the other, I'd probably go VP9sk.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My opinion is limited as I've only shot one of the two.  I went with the VP9SK, primarily because I had a VP9 already and really liked it.  If I had the  P30 instead of it and liked it the same way, then odds are I would have gone the P30SK route to stay consistent.  I can say I was very surprised how well I shot the SK even without the pinky extension which has always bothered me not getting a full grip on handguns in the past.

I won't beat you over the head like the Glock guys saying it's the greatest thing ever, but the VP9 series works for me and if your experience varies then so be it.  They have now become my primary handguns after owning/carrying 3 Glocks and a Sig P320.  I'm hoping to sell off my last Glock and the Sig so I have funds available when the VP9L version is released here in the US.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My opinion is limited as I've only shot one of the two.  I went with the VP9SK, primarily because I had a VP9 already and really liked it.  If I had the  P30 instead of it and liked it the same way, then odds are I would have gone the P30SK route to stay consistent.  I can say I was very surprised how well I shot the SK even without the pinky extension which has always bothered me not getting a full grip on handguns in the past.

I won't beat you over the head like the Glock guys saying it's the greatest thing ever, but the VP9 series works for me and if your experience varies then so be it.  They have now become my primary handguns after owning/carrying 3 Glocks and a Sig P320.  I'm hoping to sell off my last Glock and the Sig so I have funds available when the VP9L version is releasoued here in the US.
View Quote
Picking up my VP9SK Wed. I hope it replaces my M&Pc as my carry gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
How are you liking the vp9sk? I'm considering the same options, and I too have the full sized vp9. 
Im considering the p30sk due to second strike capability.  Is that an overrated reason to consider a hammer fired gun? 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Just picked up my first HK, and it is the P30SK

Fit and finish this thing is awesome!  The DA/SA with the decocker button is nice.  I was able to get the LE version with the night sights.  I will hopefully get to take it to the range tomorrow.  

This will not be my last HK for sure.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#17]
usp compact.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 2:41:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
can you offer details?  sample number of guns?  types of failures?

I've had a VP9 since November of last year and am probably approaching roughly 500-700 rounds through it and other than some initial failures to feed/eject due to light powered reloads it has functioned flawlessly.  Thinking of trading in another firearm i own on a VP9 tactical.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I just picked up my new VP9SK and LOVE IT! Same trigger/handing/etc of the full size and excellent carry size. Taking it to the range tomorrow to wear it out...
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Update, OP?

Pretty sure I'm going to order a P30SK LEM. I feel partial to hammer fired pistols again after shooting Glocks for so many years.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've had a VP9 since November of last year and am probably approaching roughly 500-700 rounds through it and other than some initial failures to feed/eject due to light powered reloads it has functioned flawlessly.  Thinking of trading in another firearm i own on a VP9 tactical.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent a few hours at a tactical/outdoor type range with a friend of mine who brought 3 different VP9s, all stock other than one had a 9mm can of some variety on the end of it. He shot them with his ammo, unsure of the make but neither of us reload. I put a couple hundred rounds through a couple of them with my own ammo as well. He had at least a couple malfunctions with the suppressed model, and at least one without the can. I experienced a failure to eject as well while I was shooting. Cant speak to ammo type or whatnot but I know it was factory ammo. Blazer and WWB and others.

A gun should be able to shoot factory ammo without issue. HK's (in my decade of ownership at least) have never and should never require a 'break in period' to function properly.

I love the way it feels in the hand, I love the way it shoots, but as of right now, you can count me out of the VP9 owners club unless something changes. I stick with the USP series and have no plans to change that any time soon.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#22]
The later production vp9 guns use the vp40 mainspring.  You really need to use hotter ammo initially or at least leave the slide locked back for a day or two.  I have had a vp9 for a little under a month and have about 500 rounds through it flawless.  I only did 150 rounds of 124gr American eagle before trying some 115.

I also have a p30sk in light lem.  The vp is a better trigger to target shoot, but I prefer the longer pull for carry and also having a hammer to thumb while reholstering.  Kind of figure I might shoot the vpsk a little better if I tried it though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#23]
The vp9 is a bit bigger than the other sk guns.  I tried to buy a p2000sk yesterday and there was no way I was getting my pinky finger on the grip.  The only way would be to use the full size mags with x-grip, but then why not buy a full size p2000.  The vp9sk fit my hand better.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the VP9, P30 and P30SK.  All are wickedly accurate and eat anything you feed it.  Never had a malfunction of any type.  I like carrying the P30SK because of the size and how it carries for me.  I also like the ability to keep my thumb on the hammer when I reholster it.  I’m going to pick up the VP9SK as well to round out the collection, all are just really sweet guns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:49:40 PM EDT
[#25]
The P2000SK is a much better pistol than either of those choices, frankly.

The VP series have had more documented issues (myself personally, included) than the rest of their line.

The P30SK's can also have early teething issues and require a break in period.

If you're looking for a good all-around first HK, check out the USP Compact line. If you're looking for subcompact carry only, go P2000SK I promise you wont regret it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Just bought a VP9 SK, I like bebthe fully size. Hoping the ergonomics are just as good. Got a Milts Sparks VMII to carry it in.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I spent a few hours at a tactical/outdoor type range with a friend of mine who brought 3 different VP9s, all stock other than one had a 9mm can of some variety on the end of it. He shot them with his ammo, unsure of the make but neither of us reload. I put a couple hundred rounds through a couple of them with my own ammo as well. He had at least a couple malfunctions with the suppressed model, and at least one without the can. I experienced a failure to eject as well while I was shooting. Cant speak to ammo type or whatnot but I know it was factory ammo. Blazer and WWB and others.

A gun should be able to shoot factory ammo without issue. HK's (in my decade of ownership at least) have never and should never require a 'break in period' to function properly.

I love the way it feels in the hand, I love the way it shoots, but as of right now, you can count me out of the VP9 owners club unless something changes. I stick with the USP series and have no plans to change that any time soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, was it brass or aluminum cased?

I have many HK pistols, and have been shooting them for 20 years, and I won't shoot steel or aluminum cased ammo through any of them anymore.  In my experience, an HK pistol will always work with brass ammo, but not always with the other stuff.   This goes for the USP*, P30, and VP series guns.

*the USP always shot aluminum fine, it was the steel case it didn't like.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#28]
It really boils down to do you want a hammer or striker fired gun? I'm a striker kinda guy so I voted for the VP9SK.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, was it brass or aluminum cased?

I have many HK pistols, and have been shooting them for 20 years, and I won't shoot steel or aluminum cased ammo through any of them anymore.  In my experience, an HK pistol will always work with brass ammo, but not always with the other stuff.   This goes for the USP*, P30, and VP series guns.

*the USP always shot aluminum fine, it was the steel case it didn't like.
View Quote
All brass only
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I never had trouble with the steel stuff in my P30L.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#31]
After two months of reading reviews, forums, youtube's & handling/firing went with the VP9SK.  Simply put perfect.

Got my TruGlo TFX Pro sights today.  Heading to gunsmith tomorrow to get installed.  I have a post on these sights in this HK forum.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 1:19:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How are you liking the vp9sk? I'm considering the same options, and I too have the full sized vp9. 
Im considering the p30sk due to second strike capability.  Is that an overrated reason to consider a hammer fired gun? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really like it, got about 300 rounds threw it and it will be taking my M&Ps place as my CCW..

The other good news is that it fits in my M&P holsters.
Link Posted: 11/25/2017 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my experience with the VP9 as well.  I would not hesitate to buy another as it is a joy to shoot.  if I was in the market for another small carry gun I would get the VP9sk.  A friend has one and loves it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 3:18:10 AM EDT
[#34]
HK makes amazing hammer guns. I think the VP9 is only marginally better than the Glock. Hammer guns are where HK really stands out. Get the P30 or even look at the USP line or the HK45 or P2000. You can’t go wrong with any of them.

Summit Gunbroker has some amazing deals on used HKs from time to time.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top