Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 5/16/2017 12:41:56 PM EDT
Cross-posted from GD. Finally was able to shoot my new VP9SK yesterday. With that in mind, I figured I would write a short review on the pistol and my brief experiences with it.

I got the pistol from Cross Creek Guns. When I opened the box, I was surprised by how much oil it was drenched with. I also immediately noticed (as mentioned in another thread) that the left medium side panel was discolored (more on that later). I took it home, got as much of the oil off as I could, and started playing with it.

The trigger was really nice, much better than my BE-coded VP9 was at first. The finger grip magazine floorplate was really comfortable, but I don't plan on using it since the flat one is much more concealable. It was pretty tight, and the slide wouldn't go into battery if I let it ease slowly forward; this continued until I racked the slide a few dozen times. Fit of the side panels and backstraps was good, finish was good, and I noticed that there were far fewer machining marks on the slide as compared to my VP9, making me wonder whether I got a lemon of a VP9! Magazines dropped freely and easily, and the magazine release paddles, although smaller than the VP9's, are still very easy to hit. It carries very well, much better than the P2000 I sold to finance it, and I often forget that I'm wearing it!

I removed the stock sights and threw on some old Meprolights I had from a different pistol, put on the enhanced closed aluminum backplate from HKParts, and then went to the range. I was using WWB 115 grain, Federal HST 147 grain +P, Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P, and Winchester Train and Defend 147 grain. The pistol has surprisingly little recoil, considering its size and the fact that I tested it in part with +P ammo. Fast follow-up shots and double taps were very easy to achieve. Accuracy was very good, on par with my VP9 at closer distances, and it seemed to like the Speer Gold Dots the best (which is what I decided to carry). I had to resist the urge to try to squeeze my pinkie finger on my right hand on the front of the grip, and when I managed to and shot it something would jar my finger significantly, leaving it in a dull pain. Instead, I started to curl my pinkie under the magazine floorplate, where it was much more comfortable. I had one FTF on the WWB, which isn't surprising given its relatively weak nature and the well-known break-in period for HK pistols. Other than that, the pistol was flawless and I feel comfortable keeping it on my hip, which is where it is right now.

I called HKCS this morning, and they are waiting for more side panels to come in from Germany as there are other pistols that have this issue. When they get them in, they will send me one for free. Other than that, the pistol is flawless and an excellent companion to its larger sibling. If I had complaints other than the flawed side panel, it's that the magazine capacity isn't higher considering its size, and that it's a bit longer overall than the P30SK. Those issues notwithstanding, it is now my main carry gun, while the VP9 is on nightstand duty.

UPDATE: HK customer service sent me a new side panel via Fedex 2-Day air for free. This one looks great. Couldn't have asked for anything else from them to make it right.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the looks of it and glad to hear you got one. Only 1 problem - NO PICS?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really like the looks of it and glad to hear you got one. Only 1 problem - NO PICS?
View Quote
screen shot on windows
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Got mine Today and can't wait to shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for sharing!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#5]
LOL what is this "break in period" for HKs that you speak of?

I've never had to 'break in' any of my 10+ HK pistols and have NEVER had a malfunction with anything that wasn't a blatant ammo problem
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've never had to 'break in' any of my 10+ HK pistols and have NEVER had a malfunction with anything that wasn't a blatant ammo problem
View Quote
My P30L had some serious issues with weak ammo at first. Others have experienced issues as well, usually with P30s and VP9s.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My P30L had some serious issues with weak ammo at first. Others have experienced issues as well, usually with P30s and VP9s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own both and never had an issue using factory or reloads.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top