Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2016 7:05:05 PM EDT
Looks like a good investment.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Enhanced-Slide-Cap-VP9-VP40-Black-367p17856.htm

I've got six on the way right now
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Will MAC review it again after this is installed

I might pick one up for mine if good reviews come back.

Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#2]
My carry gun never gets that dirty, but I saw this as cheap insurance.  
And coming from Glocks, I never would think to look for a striker to see if it was cocked.

A guy did TAPE up the rear during a torture test online (he had two VP9s, a USP, and a MP9),
but the tape didn't stop his slide from getting too gritty to close all the way.  He had better luck with the
stronger 40 spring, whereas MAC had worse luck.  Another guy had no issues in his torture tests.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:15:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I had wrote a long post about my VP9 failing to go into battery but, that was off topic.

Personally, I think that big gaping hole is a problem, why open the gun up for stuff to get in?  Who cares if there is a loaded chamber indicator?  All guns are hot until proven otherwise, right?  If I'm carrying it, it will have a round in the chamber.  Pointless hole is pointless.

Would that cover have helped me?  I doubt it.  I still want one...why?  Because that hole is a direct path to the interior of the gun.  I know, there are any number of ways for water and dirt to get in.  But, if you're carrying the firearm exposed (I sometimes carry mine on duty when away for training), that hole is at the top and it is perfectly reasonable to expect a gremlin to crawl down into it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:18:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Then I am glad that I was able to help out by posting this for people like you who're concerned.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:23:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It is interesting that, when the VP9 came out, that was a product that came to market quickly on hkparts.

I know HK would never admit it but, I wish they would seal that hole and never speak about a chamber indicator like that again.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had wrote a long post about my VP9 failing to go into battery but, that was off topic.

Personally, I think that big gaping hole is a problem, why open the gun up for stuff to get in?  Who cares if there is a loaded chamber indicator?  All guns are hot until proven otherwise, right?  If I'm carrying it, it will have a round in the chamber.  Pointless hole is pointless.

Would that cover have helped me?  I doubt it.  I still want one...why?  Because that hole is a direct path to the interior of the gun.  I know, there are any number of ways for water and dirt to get in.  But, if you're carrying the firearm exposed (I sometimes carry mine on duty when away for training), that hole is at the top and it is perfectly reasonable to expect a gremlin to crawl down into it.
View Quote

that statement is about as close to the truth as you can get.

i am looking at getting a VP9 for a suppressor platform and doing research here. i have heard about slide lockup issues on these too, when they get dirty from suppressor use. any confirmation on that? my glock 17 can even be a little like that too when neglected. the g19 not so much.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i am looking at getting a VP9 for a suppressor platform and doing research here. i have heard about slide lockup issues on these too, when they get dirty from suppressor use. any confirmation on that? my glock 17 can even be a little like that too when neglected. the g19 not so much.
View Quote

I had some trouble with mine and I'll try to post as a separate topic tomorrow or sunday (01/07 or 01/08) with pictures.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I had some trouble with mine and I'll try to post as a separate topic tomorrow or sunday (01/07 or 01/08) with pictures.
View Quote

I had some issues too. 

I ordered a VP40 recoil spring (what's now in the VP9 tactical) direct from HK. It just came a couple days ago, I haven't even tried it out but it is notably stronger. 
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:18:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I thought about getting the red anodized one just for a different look :)
Haven't bit the bullet yet.

I have a regular VP9 and bought a threaded barrel from HKParts in 1/2x28 and have had no issues. I've got over 600 rounds suppressed through it.
500 of it was Winchester 147gr FMJ and the last 100 were Freedom Munitions 147gr RN Reman ammo.
It's got the original VP9 spring in it.  Using a Gemtech Tundra.

Original barrel and slide are NP3'd.  Threaded barrel was TiN'd.

Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I spent a few hours Saturday and Sunday trying to get my VP9 to replicate my issues.  Of course, it worked flawlessly.

It may be ammunition, I finally ran out of American Eagle and Remington ammo...I'll try again this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I spent a few hours Saturday and Sunday trying to get my VP9 to replicate my issues.  Of course, it worked flawlessly.

It may be ammunition, I finally ran out of American Eagle and Remington ammo...I'll try again this weekend.
View Quote
My VP9 is still chugging along. There's a guy on Facebook in the VP9/VP40 group that has 20,000+ and it's still running fine.

I think that yours may have had teething issues.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The reason is that Springfield sold a ton XDs marketing that crap as features. Now people want to follow suit to make the same pile of money.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
For those of you who've had problems, what were the problems?

My VP9 had ejecting and feeding problems from the very first trigger pull. But all the problems came from one box of Federal Red box 115gr. The next 525 Rounds of various weights and manufactures were flawless. I think my issues was bad/weak ammo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
My problems, most of them failure to go into battery, seem to only happen when the gun gets dirty and hot, most particularly when out for training.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My VP9 is still chugging along. There's a guy on Facebook in the VP9/VP40 group that has 20,000+ and it's still running fine.

I think that yours may have had teething issues.
View Quote

I'm closing in on 10k rounds without a malf.  Eats anything.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For those of you who've had problems, what were the problems?

My VP9 had ejecting and feeding problems from the very first trigger pull. But all the problems came from one box of Federal Red box 115gr. The next 525 Rounds of various weights and manufactures were flawless. I think my issues was bad/weak ammo.
View Quote

While I love most Federal ammo, the Wally World Federal Champion ammo is the worst. My Zenith Z-5RS hates it too. I would rather shoot steel cased Russian ammo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My problems, most of them failure to go into battery, seem to only happen when the gun gets dirty and hot, most particularly when out for training.
View Quote

That's not good at all. I have yet to take my VP9 to an outdoor range, but I haven't had any issues indoors. This is a bit worrisome. I really wanted to have the VP9 as my EDC, & replace my G19, but all these issues have put that down to rest. How can I depend on a gun that has issues when dirty &/or hot?
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's not good at all. I have yet to take my VP9 to an outdoor range, but I haven't had any issues indoors. This is a bit worrisome. I really wanted to have the VP9 as my EDC, & replace my G19, but all these issues have put that down to rest. How can I depend on a gun that has issues when dirty &/or hot?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you genuinely concerned or just here to drop a nugget?

One sample does not label them all into the same category. I live in AZ, dirt and dust is prevalent in the shooting spots. It's also hot as hades and I bring 20 mags and expend them all once a week. Mine runs fine and keeps on going. I have one that has had 10,000+ rounds fired and still hasn't been cleaned. Always goes bang. I know another VP9 from somebody else that has 20,000 but with cleanings and still goes bang. All. The. Time.

I have seen enough G19 stoppages to convince enough me not to trust it. I trust my life to the VP9 everyday. Go out and shoot yours as proof of confidence.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

10k rounds, 0 malfunctions, shoot outdoors in AZ heat and dust without issues.  I ditched a G19 for the VP9 for EDC.  You have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Are you genuinely concerned or just here to drop a nugget?

One sample does not label them all into the same category. I live in AZ, dirt and dust is prevalent in the shooting spots. It's also hot as hades and I bring 20 mags and expend them all once a week. Mine runs fine and keeps on going. I have one that has had 10,000+ rounds fired and still hasn't been cleaned. Always goes bang. I know another VP9 from somebody else that has 20,000 but with cleanings and still goes bang. All. The. Time.

I have seen enough G19 stoppages to convince enough me not to trust it. I trust my life to the VP9 everyday. Go out and shoot yours as proof of confidence.
View Quote

I am genuinely concerned, no trolling whatsoever. I purchased my VP9 a couple of months ago. I love everything about it. I just worry about it's reliability in regards to dirt, sand, etc.. Not just that MAC video, but I have seen/read numerous accounts of unreliability. I was even contemplating trading it for a P30. Thanks for the feedback.

Link Posted: 1/18/2017 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am genuinely concerned, no trolling whatsoever. I purchased my VP9 a couple of months ago. I love everything about it. I just worry about it's reliability in regards to dirt, sand, etc.. Not just that MAC video, but I have seen/read numerous accounts of unreliability. I was even contemplating trading it for a P30. Thanks for the feedback.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66889/IMG-0484-128440.jpg
View Quote
Some pistols just suck at being host's for cans. The only ones that I can recommend that hasn't choked on me was the 92FS, G17 gen3, and the USP 9 & 45. Out of those I'd get the USP9V1 as a can host.

That being said, I'm getting ready to purchase an AAC Aviator 2 for my M&P22C
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Some pistols just suck at being host's for cans. The only ones that I can recommend that hasn't choked on me was the 92FS, G17 gen3, and the USP 9 & 45. Out of those I'd get the USP9V1 as a can host.

That being said, I'm getting ready to purchase an AAC Aviator 2 for my M&P22C
View Quote

Have you had any experience with the VP9 and a can? Is it not a good host? I haven't really seen anything for or against the VP9 in this aspect.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Have you had any experience with the VP9 and a can? Is it not a good host? I haven't really seen anything for or against the VP9 in this aspect.
View Quote

I haven't had any trouble with a suppressor on my VP9.
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I ordered on myself and should get it Monday.  As I see it this ill help keep out the fine lint and dirt that accumulates while carrying.  Do I ever let my carry guns get that dirty? No, but it's can't hurt to try it out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I installed the new plate on my VP9 today. It looks good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#26]
The only " problem" I had with my VP9 was a stuck case in the first 200 rounds or so. The ammo was cheap steel-cased Wolf WPA. I heard that the HK tolerances were tight, but man. I NEVER had that happen with any of my Glocks; a couple which were fed a steady diet of steel-cased Wolf and Brown Bear for training because it was so cheap and I'm not made of money. Nevertheless, I now have a couple of thousand more flawless rounds through the VP9, albeit mostly brass-cased ammo.

As far as this thread goes... I will share my experience with the factory slide plate cover. In the Summer of 2016, I took a 2 day dynamic handgun combatives course in which my VP9 got absolutely caked with sand while doing the VTAC barricade drills and other drills that had guns and holsters in the sand and saw some manipulations and reloads while in awkward positions that usually involved dirt and sand coming into contact with the gun. The striker channel was FULL of sand, but....the VP9 ran like a champ! No stoppages whatsoever, but it was gritty as hell. (One shooter's Glock 34 absolutely died from the 'sandcastle' that got into it.)  I did take it apart and brush it out towards the end of class and she continued to shoot fine. I didn't get to break it down and give it a thorough cleaning until class was over and it was appalling. One of my partners from work also shot his VP9 through the same class with me and had zero issues.

Dynamic Handgun Combatives

In short, I don't put a lot of stock in "torture tests"...especially if they showcase BS like throwing guns at oak trees or AR500 steel plates. It is nice to know what abuse a gun can and can't take, but be realistic in your application. That said, I am doing just fine with the factory slide end plate cover, but I do believe HK could have done without it. I may consider one of the enhanced covers sometime down the road.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:08:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/66889/IMG-0484-128440.jpg
View Quote

You'd be better off with the P30. It is a proven reliable handgun and much like your G19 you can trust it. I can't say the same for the VP9.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The only " problem" I had with my VP9 was a stuck case in the first 200 rounds or so. The ammo was cheap steel-cased Wolf WPA. I heard that the HK tolerances were tight, but man. I NEVER had that happen with any of my Glocks; a couple which were fed a steady diet of steel-cased Wolf and Brown Bear for training because it was so cheap and I'm not made of money. Nevertheless, I now have a couple of thousand more flawless rounds through the VP9, albeit mostly brass-cased ammo.

As far as this thread goes... I will share my experience with the factory slide plate cover. In the Summer of 2016, I took a 2 day dynamic handgun combatives course in which my VP9 got absolutely caked with sand while doing the VTAC barricade drills and other drills that had guns and holsters in the sand and saw some manipulations and reloads while in awkward positions that usually involved dirt and sand coming into contact with the gun. The striker channel was FULL of sand, but....the VP9 ran like a champ! No stoppages whatsoever, but it was gritty as hell. (One shooter's Glock 34 absolutely died from the 'sandcastle' that got into it.)  I did take it apart and brush it out towards the end of class and she continued to shoot fine. I didn't get to break it down and give it a thorough cleaning until class was over and it was appalling. One of my partners from work also shot his VP9 through the same class with me and had zero issues.

Dynamic Handgun Combatives

In short, I don't put a lot of stock in "torture tests"...especially if they showcase BS like throwing guns at oak trees or AR500 steel plates. It is nice to know what abuse a gun can and can't take, but be realistic in your application. That said, I am doing just fine with the factory slide end plate cover, but I do believe HK could have done without it. I may consider one of the enhanced covers sometime down the road.
View Quote
Thank you for the honest review. It is good to hear that others are successfully putting it through the ringer as well.

And I agree with you with your last paragraph.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top