Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 10/29/2016 9:59:41 PM EDT
I love my USP9. Love my VP9. Something tells me I want a P30. I've been to busy to make it to the indoor range and shoot the rental P30. I'm looking for opinions if the P30 is a must have or just something to fill a non existent void? Any pics would be great. Also, what varent do you prefer? Safety or non?
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I love my USP9. Love my VP9. Something tells me I want a P30. I've been to busy to make it to the indoor range and shoot the rental P30. I'm looking for opinions if the P30 is a must have or just something to fill a non existent void? Any pics would be great. Also, what varent do you prefer? Safety or non?
View Quote
frankly I wanted to like it but the reset is really shitty.  I think you will be underwhelmed comparing the rest to your VP9 or your USP9.  It has better ergos than your USP9 but that's about all it has going for it IMO.  I really like HKs but had a hard time liking the P30 because of the long reset.  I sold mine.  If you can deal with the reset it's dead nuts reliable and has a nice grip very similar to the VP9

Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The only flaw with it is its trigger. The LEM seems to be an improvment, tho.

Trigger aside, its a great gun.

I think it's ergonomics are superior to the vp9. The gun is accurate. Points very well and is very nicely balanced. Probably one of my favorite firearms.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
frankly I wanted to like it but the reset is really shitty.  I think you will be underwhelmed comparing the rest to your VP9 or your USP9.  It has better ergos than your USP9 but that's about all it has going for it IMO.  I really like HKs but had a hard time liking the P30 because of the long reset.  I sold mine.  If you can deal with the reset it's dead nuts reliable and has a nice grip very similar to the VP9  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was going to say the same thing about the reset on my LEM version...sold it...
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:18:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Any hands on running the P30 suppressed?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

I use a TiRant 9mm with mine and an HK threaded barrel. Towards the end of long shooting sessions when the gun is really dirty it will occasionally not fully cycle, a tap on the back of the slide fixes things. Other than that it works great.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Worst DA/SA trigger on a modern handgun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the P2000 because of the slightly smaller size. It's my every day carry gun and it's been very reliable. The P series trigger is decent, but nothing to brag about. It gets better with use. Ambidextrous controls right out of the box are nice. I originally bought the P30 but happened to rent a P2000 and immediately liked it better. It's HK's G19 essentially.

The P series guns are excellent and I would recommend one to anyone.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Worst DA/SA trigger on a modern handgun.
View Quote

^^^ I'll second this and I'm a H&K fanboy .
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
DA/SA is terrible.  V4.1 LEM is the best trigger combo, IMO.  But by the time you buy the trigger parts and a set of sights and a third mag, you're in SIG Legion territory.  Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.  I decided it was because it fits a very nice niche in the carry gun arena.  I would not buy one if it was simply going to be a range toy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 8:13:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd pass on it and either get another VP9 or a USP9.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

I run mine suppressed with a Gemtech Tundra. It's awesome.

ETA: OEM HK threaded barrel.

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/jafrush/20160319_144906_zpsa0vfiz46.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you snap a few pics of the barrel itself? I'm curious about what markings are on them?
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The P30 da/sa has one of the worst triggers I've ever pulled. The reset is further forward than the initial take-up, I'm disappointed and I don't even own one. The usp is a better option, sadly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The P30 da/sa has one of the worst triggers I've ever pulled. The reset is further forward than the initial take-up, I'm disappointed and I don't even own one. The usp is a better option, sadly.
View Quote

What's sad about that?
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:49:07 AM EDT
[#15]
It is sad that a pistol designed in the late 80's - early 90's seems to shoot better than its descendant with 20 years of experience and engineering going for it. The ergonomics feel great but the trigger still sucks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It is sad that a pistol designed in the late 80's - early 90's seems to shoot better than its descendant with 20 years of experience and engineering going for it. The ergonomics feel great but the trigger still sucks.
View Quote

It is sad.  The USP and USPc have way more trigger options, relatively easy to work on, and the triggers became progressively worse on the P2000 and the P30.  I'll grant that the ergonomics improved, but not enough to justify a worse trigger.  A USP/USPc is no less ergonomic than a Gen 3 Glock, and most Glock shooters complain about the finger grooves anyway and long for a return to a Gen 2 grip.  HK should have just made generational improvements to the USP/USPc line instead of introducing new models, until the VP9 came to fruition.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#17]
A USP9C definitely interests me. Especially since it takes mags I already have a ton of.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Can you snap a few pics of the barrel itself? I'm curious about what markings are on them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ill get some tonight for you.

For the trigger discussion, yes the USP and Compact have much better triggers. My favorite HK is a USP Compact. However I don't think the P30 trigger is that bad. It could be better, but it's plenty useable.

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A USP9C definitely interests me. Especially since it takes mags I already have a ton of.
View Quote

You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I regret selling my uspc 9mm. Never jammed once in 5000 rounds through it, hole in hole accuracy. I still have a uspc .45 as my edc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Barrel marking details:

Visible when assembled is simply "HK" and "9mm x 19" on the side of the chamber. Pic 1

When field stripped, you can see CIP-N, the date code (BE), the Stag horn mark with DE, and a unique barrel serial number with another HK rollmark on the hidden side of the chamber. The engravings on the barrel appear the same as the standard HK engravings on slides. The serial number engraving is much fainter and not their normal engraving. Definitely was added later in a different process. Pic 2

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Awesome. Thanks for taking those pics
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#23]
little late to the party here but i always thought sig had the worst da-sa trigger, followed closely by the s&w 59/69 series and usp.

i'm a glock guy, 1911 guy, dont mind m&p triggers and dont mind the single action p30/hk45 triggers. they took just a little getting use to them. i always carry them cocked and locked so the da part isnt a factor.

i like the p30 overall. might get another for a deticated suppressor set  up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#24]
I like my P30 a lot and as others have said, the trigger takes some getting use to. The ergos are phenomenal and quality is there as expected from an HK. The trigger isn't as big of a deal for me as others here.

Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The only flaw with it is its trigger. The LEM seems to be an improvment, tho.

Trigger aside, its a great gun.

I think it's ergonomics are superior to the vp9. The gun is accurate. Points very well and is very nicely balanced. Probably one of my favorite firearms.
View Quote

This.

Had a p30S, and while I recognized it was a good gun I could just never warm up to it.

A few months a to a got an LEM version and it is now one of my favorite handguns, as well as my nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 11:03:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Ive got a P30 with light lem, hard chromed and tri-ported from apwcogan, love it, shoots like a .380.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:27:30 AM EDT
[#27]
A local dealer has a P30 v1 Light Lem with night sights for $970. Is that price a little high?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Try GB if you are interested. I got a V3 for $700 and I see a LEM for $860 up now after quickly browsing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A local dealer has a P30 v1 Light Lem with night sights for $970. Is that price a little high?
View Quote

That's normal price for a NIB P30 if it comes with night sights and 3 mags.  Not a buy-it-now! deal, but not overpriced for something he has in stock and didn't have to order.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought a P30sk LEM V1 in the past few months and I really like it.  It is very easy to shoot it very accurately.  To me, the only drawback is that the trigger reset is a little longer than some other modern semi-auto pistols, but it is easy to adapt to with a little practice. I like it so much that I'm considering trading my HK VP9 for a full size P30 LEM.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's normal price for a NIB P30 if it comes with night sights and 3 mags.  Not a buy-it-now! deal, but not overpriced for something he has in stock and didn't have to order.
View Quote

My dealer charges about the same for the 9mm NS version with 3 magazines.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:40:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought a P30sk LEM V1 in the past few months and I really like it.  It is very easy to shoot it very accurately.  To me, the only drawback is that the trigger reset is a little longer than some other modern semi-auto pistols, but it is easy to adapt to with a little practice. I like it so much that I'm considering trading my HK VP9 for a full size P30 LEM.
View Quote

That trigger reset is the only reason I don't have a P30sk.  I'm tempted from time to time, but I'm holding out for a VP9sk.  Maybe I should just go ahead and by the P30sk to ensure a timely release of a VP9sk?  

I prefer the DA/SA versions (familiarity, thank Uncle Sam and his M9's for that), but agree that on the whole, the P30 variants are very nice pistols.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I like my P30 a lot and as others have said, the trigger takes some getting use to. The ergos are phenomenal and quality is there as expected from an HK. The trigger isn't as big of a deal for me as others here.
View Quote

^^^This^^^

I originally got my P30 in a lgs trade, enjoyed it for about a year, and had a friend that wanted it bad enough to offer me a good cash deal. I took it as I needed the money, and within the next year I was really regretting selling it to him. During this time, my friend was having a real hard time warming up to the trigger, the sights, mag release, but still had a custom holster made, 3 extra mags, and some really nice Tijicon HK110 HD night sights installed. He put close to around 800 rounds through it trying to like it, and near exactly a year from selling to him, he decided he couldn't get used to the trigger, so I got it back for a fair trade + cash deal. I was really thrilled to get it back, and with some nice upgrades and a few extra mags. It was nice and broke in, trigger was a bit smoother, and I love the sights. Really easy to visually pick up quick, and while the trigger isn't target grade, for defensive use it suits me fine. Between the two of us owing it three times, it's never malf'd on anything, is still tight as a drum, and is accurate as I could want it to be. I'm grateful to have gotten it back, and it's here to stay this time!

Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:25:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I prefer the P2000 over the P30, but I still want a P30.   The P30 is a compact slide on a full size frame.   The grip is very ergonomic, but that makes it harder to get a good consistent grip.  A blockier, more rectangular grip will snap itself into the right position in your hand, whereas the more round ergonomic grip will just stay in the wrong spot.

The best thing H&K has going is the LEM trigger.  The people who 'get it', love 'em, the people who want a nice trigger hate 'em.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I am looking at possibly buying another HK. I bought a VP9LE a few months ago but my daughter needed a gun so I gave it to her.
I may want another 9m HK so what model in 9m is considered the best quality with the best trigger?
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:44:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The P30...grip is very ergonomic, but that makes it harder to get a good consistent grip.  A blockier, more rectangular grip will snap itself into the right position in your hand, whereas the more round ergonomic grip will just stay in the wrong spot.

The best thing H&K has going is the LEM trigger.  The people who 'get it', love 'em, the people who want a nice trigger hate 'em.
View Quote

That's one of the things I noticed when I started carrying a Glock 19 coming from a P228.  It was easy to tell if I gripped the Glock wrong vs. the Sig.

I do love that LEM.  It is a seriously underrated trigger.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I love everything about my P30L except the trigger. Like someone said earlier it is the worst trigger on a mondern handgun.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I love everything about my P30L except the trigger. Like someone said earlier it is the worst trigger on a mondern handgun.
View Quote

LEM or V3? Also how long did you shoot it?

It is not the worst especially after break in.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#39]
I would like a VP9 with the rail guides in the frame like the P30/USP. I don't mind paying P30/USP price for it. VP9 rails are cheap looking and there is slide frame alignment problems.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I would like a VP9 with the rail guides in the frame like the P30/USP. I don't mind paying P30/USP price for it. VP9 rails are cheap looking and there is slide frame alignment problems.
View Quote

Do you have a comparison pic to illustrate what you are talking about? I am curious.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Do you have a comparison pic to illustrate what you are talking about? I am curious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/11/2017 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

LEM or V3? Also how long did you shoot it?

It is not the worst especially after break in.
View Quote

V3. I still shoot it and have approximately 6500 rounds through it. Yes it is the worst I may try the LEM.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

V3. I still shoot it and have approximately 6500 rounds through it. Yes it is the worst I may try the LEM.
View Quote

I would not have purchased a DA/SA P30.  I purchased the LEM trusting what @JohnWayne_777 had posted about his and what I'd read about it on pistolforum.

Like I have posted before, I was in the market for a hammer-fired gun to carry AIWB.  I would have purchased a P229 Legion if I hadn't read, and trusted, what I had read about the LEM trigger.  I'm very happy with it for a carry gun.

more information
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top