Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 9/20/2016 9:42:15 PM EDT
I've had my VP9 since it first came out. And I've only ran several magazines through it, because of the poor performance of the trigger. Its a mechanical train wreck that's stings my trigger finger. And it doesn't even come close to my USP 40 or my P2000 LEM. Has anyone had a poor experience with the VP9 trigger and what was the fix?

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It felt a little rough to me for a while...1,000 rounds later I don't notice it much.  

I will say my USP .45's trigger is a step above it but, that is a bit of a different gun...
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:52:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently purchased a VP 9 and agree.  I have a PPQ, various Glocks, M&P's, etc and was expecting a great trigger.  After a couple hundred rounds my VP9 trigger is just Meh.  It's ok, but certainly not as good as the hype would make you believe.
Trigger "Sting" is not releated to the trigger persay, rather the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recently purchased a VP 9 and agree.  I have a PPQ, various Glocks, M&P's, etc and was expecting a great trigger.  After a couple hundred rounds my VP9 trigger is just Meh.  It's ok, but certainly not as good as the hype would make you believe.
Trigger "Sting" is not releated to the trigger persay, rather the trigger guard.
View Quote

Give it until about 1,000 rounds before coming to a decision. I had a similar complaint about mine, but now it's smooth as butter.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
don't forget. there is a spring kit you can buy on HKparts that lightens it to about 4.5Lb

try that. that's the only trigger "upgrade" I know of
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a P30 and P2000 with the V2 LEM and I find my VP9 trigger to be excellent.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The trigger in the VP9 I had was excellent. My complaint was the trigger guard having that slot cut out from it and rubbing on my finger. It was a dealbreaker as it made shooting the pistol comfortably for me over longer periods of time impossible.

Makes me wonder if the earlier pistols around launch had better triggers than current production.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Trigger issue ?

Not for me. Ergos are excellent.

Just can't shoot it worth a hill of beans.

Now my P30SK LEM......I can hit those beans on that hill.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#8]
My vp9 has an excellent trigger,far nicer than my glocks or p99.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My VP9 trigger is excellent for a striker gun .I like it so much I bought a second one for my wife  . Now our Glocks are pretty much safe queens .
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My vp9 has an excellent trigger,far nicer than my glocks or p99.
View Quote

+1.  I have thousands of rounds through mine and the trigger is outstanding.  It was excellent right out of the box.  Hearing the OP saying the trigger is a "trainwreck" makes me wonder if we're even talking about the same gun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I think there's a lot of variance from the factory. I've seen some with terrible triggers and reset and some with very good ones.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I tried 3 different VP9 triggers in the LGS today.
There was a little difference--two felt a bit softer on the break than the other.
--
What's the consensus on the "VP9, VP40 Ultra Match Spring Set" at HKPARTS??
I'm going to get one since I'm already ordering the solid back piece (and maybe the aluminum sleeve), but I had no idea if it did much or not.  I've read nothing about it.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#13]
No complaints with mine.  Friends who shoot it are typically jealous.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]
On HKPRO there is a good thread on an easy fix to a common trigger issue with the VP's. Not sure why HK is not addressing it, but many good results...
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/219658-improved-my-vp9-trigger-pull-dramatically.html

Rmpl
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone happen to know if I can install the SEAR SPRING without taking out the trigger spring and all of that stuff?  
I've heard that the SEAR spring reduces most of the weight, but the TRS can soften the reset.  My VP9 pulls at exactly 5.5# from the factory,
but I'd love to get that to 4# if possible.  
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Being a Glocktard, had to try the touted VP9 trigger.  After all, this was the "Glock killer".  VP9 trigger = SUCKS!  Glock's got nothing to worry about for another 30yrs!
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Gave up on mine after trying to like it after a few months.  The trigger, the complicated mechanism, and e lack of mags at the time plus their expense were all reasons it didn't fit into my firearms plan.

Sold it and bought another CZ.  Can't be happier with my choice.  The VP9 is extremely comfortable in the hand, but that's where it ends for me anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#18]
I can honestly say my VP40 has been similar, I'm edging in on close to 1000 rounds but it still hasn't improved. Reset is very good but the pull just isn't what it was hyped up to be...
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#19]
The best striker trigger I had was my PPQ but sold it because of the lack of aftermarket support and problems I had shooting mine suppressed along with shitty support from Walther. I now have 2 VP9s and they have the 2nd best striker triggers I have ever had. These are pretty early release guns, I wonder if they got a batch of bad parts.

HK has very good CS, if the triggers suck I'd send the guns back.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:10:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Has anybody taken their trigger out and sanded down the edges of the groove?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey, I have two VP9's and found that one has better trigger than the other. I found that the trigger safety lever engagement edges have to be filed or sanded down to smooth the engagement of the safety release and this removes what I would call a snag in the take up.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I can honestly say my VP40 has been similar, I'm edging in on close to 1000 rounds but it still hasn't improved. Reset is very good but the pull just isn't what it was hyped up to be...
View Quote

My VP9 is the complete opposite. Trigger pull is very smooth and light but the reset SUCKS.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Has anybody taken their trigger out and sanded down the edges of the groove?
View Quote

I'm very, very tempted to.

For whatever reason, my grip just happens to be set up so that the bottom of my trigger finger gets bit between the guard and trigger.  The actual trigger mechanism & trigger pull is really smooth, it just has that damned pinch point.

I have to conciously change the way I shoot to avoid it, or wear gloves.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

My VP9 is the complete opposite. Trigger pull is very smooth and light but the reset SUCKS.
View Quote

My reset was rough at first but now it really doesn't have any take up.  It took a little while for it to get that way tho.  Pretty big fan of the trigger as it sits today
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have to agree. That crisp, light break sold me. It was only after I took it to the range that I really noticed the reset. It is hands down the worst reset out of all of my striker pistols, with representation from the M&P line, glock, as well as FNH.

I was also crazy about the ergos - wow does it fit my hand well. And then I shot it... same complaint about my badly beaten trigger finger everyone else has, but I had another issue. As a lefty, I was really excited about how southpaw friendly the gun was. However - the slide release lever on the RHS of the pistol comes so far back that I can't avoid riding it without seriously altering my grip, so the gun never locks back on the last round.

I shoot the gun very well if I'm shooting slow, but the quirks have earned it a lot of time in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine wasn't great out of the box but I put a few drops of Mobile 1 synthetic oil on it and after 800 rounds it's smooth, crisp and getting better.

Lube it up and run some rounds through it. Not a couple mags or a few boxes but get some rounds through it and smooth out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I shot an LE demo VP9 this morning and it had a really nice trigger.  It has likely had a ton of rounds through it though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:55:33 AM EDT
[#28]
I've got 7 VP9's, I cannot find a problem at all with the triggers.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Just bought a VP 9 pistol shoots great trigger pull is fine however it does aggravate my trigger finger on the trigger guard, first HK pistol and other than that issue I'm pretty happy with it.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top