Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/9/2016 3:13:36 PM EDT
I just got offered a 9mm P2000 V3 with Trijicons and four mags for my stock G34. Should I do it? The P2000 seems to be the unloved bastard child of HK, their version of Sigs 2022.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got offered a 9mm P2000 V3 with Trijicons and four mags for my stock G34. Should I do it? The P2000 seems to be the unloved bastard child of HK, their version of Sigs 2022.
View Quote

CBP and Border Patrol love them
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It has advantages to the USP Compact, which is what it is almost always compared to.

The P2K is slightly smaller and slimmer, it has a normal rail, it has an ambi slide stop and it has interchangeable backstraps. Its grip surface is not as rough as the USP-C though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the P2000 is the best pistol H&K ever made.  It's like a Glock 19 but for grown-ups.  

DHS, ICE, CBP, BP, many other federal agencies have been using 'em quite successfully for 11 years now.  Red-headed step child?  Hardly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, what? The P2000 is one of the most highly loved HK handguns by guys who have actually shot and owned them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the P2000 is the best pistol H&K ever made.  It's like a Glock 19 but for grown-ups.  

DHS, ICE, CBP, BP, many other federal agencies have been using 'em quite successfully for 11 years now.  Red-headed step child?  Hardly.
View Quote

This is a fantastic answer, even though I love my G19.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Fo my fellow tanker!
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have my P2000 .40 (V1 IIRC - regular LEM) sitting next to me as I type this. The P2000 is a great size, almost exactly the same as a G19, and shoots very well. I much prefer it over the USPc I previously had.

As far as the trade, I love Glocks and the 34 is great. As a range toy or competition gun the 34 is a better choice. If you want to carry it the P2000 is a better choice. Value wise I think you would be coming out on the better end.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd do it.  But I love HK and despise Glock.  

The P2000 is a great pistol, basically a USP with changeable backstraps and a standard rail.  

Its funny, HK still makes the USP, and the P2000, and now also the P30.  And they go in that order on cost, highest to lowest.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I carried a P2000 V3 9mm for just over 10 years.  Great gun.  For me, the more I shot it, I realized that a mid size gun was not for me but there was nothing out there I wanted over it.  Then HK came out with the VP9...  If mid sized guns are your thing, then the P2000 is it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2016 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a used V3. Going to shoot it tomorrow. Will take the G17 and FNP 9 to compare. I hides pretty good. Didn't think it would but was pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I'll say that the P2000 is more docile than the G17. I also prefer a hammer trigger vs striker so this fits me better.  Was concerned that the reset on the lem models are super long but it didn't really slow me down when actually shooting it.  Might spend the dough and buy Trijicon HD sights since its definitely a keeper
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well I'll say that the P2000 is more docile than the G17. I also prefer a hammer trigger vs striker so this fits me better.  Was concerned that the reset on the lem models are super long but it didn't really slow me down when actually shooting it.  Might spend the dough and buy Trijicon HD sights since its definitely a keeper
View Quote
What do you mean by being more docile? Better ergo's? Better muzzle control? Both?
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Almost anything has better ergos than a Glock.  To me the P2000 felt that like there was less flip than on the G17.  It also felt smoother shooting it and that could be do to less flip and less perceived recoil.  I finally get why folks love the G19 size handgun. The p2000 is about the same size but it actually feels good. I need to try V3 so I can compare it to the LEM.  All in all a good little pistol. Might even consider getting rid of the G17.

Now why can the P2000 only fit 13 rounds when everything that size can carry 15 I don't know. Only negative for this particular HK model.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#14]
The P2000 is my favorite HK handgun. I've tried the USP, owned two P30's, shot the VP9, etc. The P2000 is the sweet spot in the HK catalog for me. It's very close to the G19 in size but unfortunately loses two rounds in capacity. Mags are reasonably priced and there's plenty of holster options. Sight choice is limited though. I went with Trijicon HD. I have a V3 but have considered buying another in V1 light LEM.

I went to the range yesterday and this was the only gun I took.

Link Posted: 8/11/2016 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Almost anything has better ergos than a Glock.  To me the P2000 felt that like there was less flip than on the G17.  It also felt smoother shooting it and that could be do to less flip and less perceived recoil.  I finally get why folks love the G19 size handgun. The p2000 is about the same size but it actually feels good. I need to try V3 so I can compare it to the LEM.  All in all a good little pistol. Might even consider getting rid of the G17.

Now why can the P2000 only fit 13 rounds when everything that size can carry 15 I don't know. Only negative for this particular HK model.
View Quote
Thanks for your honest reply. Now I'm getting another itch to try and get a P2000 of my own.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my P2000. (V3)

It's my go-to HK, and overall go-to handgun. Meaning if I had to go grab one for a life depends on it situation, it's my preference over everything else I own.

It's HK's "G19" size-wise. Perfect middle between easy to carry and easy to shoot.

I had been shooting USPSA matches with my G19 for a year, switched to my P2000 for one match, and shot noticeably better scores.

Flat mag baseplates for carry, finger rest baseplates for a bit more grip area, and then use of P30 mags with a spacer for a "fullsize" grip.

Now, if HK ever puts out a VP9C in the size of the P2000...

So yeah, OP I'd do that trade every day, in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#17]
As others have stated, DO IT!

I love my V3 9mm. I shoot it better than anything I have ever shot. I probably have around 3,000 rounds trough mine and never had any issues what so ever. It gets a little lint in it from time to time being my ccw gun, but doesn't ever seem to care. I actually think that the trigger has gotten better over time. I probably can't say enough good things about it.

I usually carry it with a P30 mag and a x-grip spacer, but occasionally a 13rd mag if I want a lower profile. I have considered picking up another to have a light lem trigger as well just to compare.

Good luck and enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I carry a 40sw p2000 for work. I'm not a huge fan of the trigger but that's likely because I'm used to shooting striker fired guns across the board. As far as "DAO" triggers go the LEM isn't actually bad. The ergonomics are nice, I actually like the paddle mag release, and I shoot it better than similar sized guns in 40. I've had a few malfunctions over a few thousand rounds with mine, but out of the 150 people I know with one I seem to be the only one that has the occasional issue). The issues I have are likely due to my grip as the slide stop lever is pretty large but I'm used to shooting other poly frame guns so I likely grip too high and push up on the lever.  I would likely never spend money out of pocket on one, but I'd say it's a fair trade for a g34, they're reliable, great for carry, and seem to be a good all around pistol (minus the capacity).
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HA! We hate them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I carry a 40sw p2000 for work. I'm not a huge fan of the trigger but that's likely because I'm used to shooting striker fired guns across the board. As far as "DAO" triggers go the LEM isn't actually bad. The ergonomics are nice, I actually like the paddle mag release, and I shoot it better than similar sized guns in 40. I've had a few malfunctions over a few thousand rounds with mine, but out of the 150 people I know with one I seem to be the only one that has the occasional issue). The issues I have are likely due to my grip as the slide stop lever is pretty large but I'm used to shooting other poly frame guns so I likely grip too high and push up on the lever.  I would likely never spend money out of pocket on one, but I'd say it's a fair trade for a g34, they're reliable, great for carry, and seem to be a good all around pistol (minus the capacity).
View Quote

Mine is a jammomatic POS, there are chunks missing on the sights do to it having to be repeatedly slammed against a brick wall to get it to extract a casing, I'm so happy the contract for these is done...
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Mine is a jammomatic POS, there are chunks missing on the sights do to it having to be repeatedly slammed against a brick wall to get it to extract a casing, I'm so happy the contract for these is done...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this like the Military M9? Meaning what you're issued is clapped out and that's the problem? So far every HK I've owned has been incredibly reliable. But I'm not exactly carrying it around the desert either.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is this like the Military M9? Meaning what you're issued is clapped out and that's the problem? So far every HK I've owned has been incredibly reliable. But I'm not exactly carrying it around the desert either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BNIB, thing has been a turd since day 1, and they have for the last 5 years refused to give me a different one. There were quite a few in my academy class that had issues with mine being far and away the worst.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
BNIB, thing has been a turd since day 1, and they have for the last 5 years refused to give me a different one. There were quite a few in my academy class that had issues with mine being far and away the worst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bummer
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bummer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bummer

Indeed, good news it I'm really good at clearing horrible malfunctions now!
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really odd. The only issue I've ever had with any of my HK's was ammo related (9mm WWB), and that ammo wouldn't run in anything else either I had with me that day - Glock and Sig.

I've never even had a malfunction period in my .40 Hk. Sucks that you have problems with yours.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

HA! We hate them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HA! We hate them.

Well I liked shooting it
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

ICE has Sigs not HK
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Really odd. The only issue I've ever had with any of my HK's was ammo related (9mm WWB), and that ammo wouldn't run in anything else either I had with me that day - Glock and Sig.  

I've never even had a malfunction period in my .40 Hk. Sucks that you have problems with yours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Winchester Ranger T's in 2 weights (initial issue was 135gr, second issue 185gr), Federal whatever the heck it is HP's (initially thought it was HST's, it isn't), the frangible junk they occasionally used at the academy. We got some of that purple colored "training ammo" for some reason now too, sure it'll gag on it if we ever use it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone here have experience with the 40 caliber P2000? Thinking of switching my EDC carry up a bit...
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:20:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone here have experience with the 40 caliber P2000? Thinking of switching my EDC carry up a bit...
View Quote

Many of the previous replies are regarding P2000s in .40, including mine and the one above you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:40:17 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Many of the previous replies are regarding P2000s in .40, including mine and the one above you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, seems like half the thread went to .40.

My P2000 is a 9mm, but I have a .40 USP Compact and I had a P2000SK in .40.

In my experience, the HK's handle the .40 round better than any other brand I've tried.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually most BP guys I know don't like them, they are overly complicated, not easy to shoot and have a horribly inconsistent trigger pull. When BP switched from the Beretta to the HK, the scores dropped by like 20-30 points average and never recovered. They are also prone to breaking trigger return springs. They had to switch ammunition because the round that they had been using broke down the pistols too rapidly.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Actually most BP guys I know don't like them, they are overly complicated, not easy to shoot and have a horribly inconsistent trigger pull. When BP switched from the Beretta to the HK, the scores dropped by like 20-30 points average and never recovered. They are also prone to breaking trigger return springs. They had to switch ammunition because the round that they had been using broke down the pistols too rapidly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't the gun, it's the caliber they chose. I can cite a lot of known things that it's doing with even Glocks that mimic what you claim.

Let's be honest and impartial when it comes to this and problem solve before we slander something without taking consideration of other factors, please.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually CBP and Border Patrol HATE them... but not because of the gun, because they ordered the LEM trigger. When I left BP I ended up buying a SA/DA P2000 and I love it, also carry the P2000SK often as well.

Fantastic guns overall, just have to really love that LEM trigger if you get stuck with one... the SA/DA is beautiful though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

HA! We hate them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HA! We hate them.

Glad I wasn't the only one wondering the logic behind their trigger selection at FLETC!
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:32:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Indeed, good news it I'm really good at clearing horrible malfunctions now!
View Quote

To be fair, its the 180 gr stuff they switched to... I had close to 8000 trouble free rounds on mine before a trigger return spring broke (thankfully during practice fire and not in the field), but never had a single issue when the 155 gr stuff was issued. Glad the new agency uses Sig P226 and P229 with the DA/SA trigger (although I prefer HK over Sig)
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Actually, they went to 180gr loads because it was easier on the pistol, the old 155gr ammo was too hot. Ive been an armorer for a long time , also was an armorer for the burrito, (berretta m96d)as well as the glock. Out of the three  the p2000 is the most troublesom and the most complicated. The berretta used the exact same ammo that the HK couldnt handle. Not to say any of these pistols are bad, they are all quality made, just some hold up better than others. I think the biggest mistake BP, customs ect... made was to switch from a real service pistol to a compact in some misguided attempt to fit smaller people. The reality is almost universally, that a service pistol is easier to shoot and lasts longer no matter who shoots it. Ive seen some little girls shooting top tier competition and they all use full sized pistols.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#38]
The 9mm P series pistols don't seem to have these issues right?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've got quite a few P series in 9mm, and have had literally zero issues with them.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm probably going to get a HK45c LEM next, which is essentially a 45 ACP P series.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm probably going to get a HK45c LEM next, which is essentially a 45 ACP P series.
View Quote
I LOVE my 45C.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've got quite a few P series in 9mm, and have had literally zero issues with them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The P2000 and P2000SK 9mm Sa/DA are literally my favorite pistols (ok, I also really love my P30L and USP Expert), and honestly once I learned to shoot the LEM trigger it wasn't bad, it just sucks going from proper guns back to that since I shoot weekly. Many agencies use the LEM because of the amount of lawsuits that would likely be caused from negligent discharges on a SA/DA, and the simple fact that a DAO is pretty much idiot proof as long as you load it. In SA/DA form, I absolutely love the P series pistols in any shape or form, and actually prefer the "cleaner" look of the P2000 to the P30. If there was a P2000L, it would probably be my favorite gun.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a lot of handguns.  Many different makes and models.  If I was forced to dump them all but one...I'd keep my P2000.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:47:35 AM EDT
[#44]
P2000sk with 357 SIG barrel
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#45]
P2K with the LEM changed my outlook on handguns.

I thought I was doomed to block 19's for the rest of my days, as it seemed good enough, and my USPC was lacking in many departments, but was close to exactly what i wanted.

The P2000 was the answer to all of those shortcomings.  Once you figure out the LEM, which admittedly took a while, that thing is a gem. perfect size, enough interchangeability without having too much, no recoil to speak of, and a magazine release like they were supposed to be made.  

You couldn't pry that thing away from me. Now to find a suitable light for it..
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I LOVE my 45C.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I LOVE my 45C.  

+2, HK45C is a fantastic handgun. Have one with light LEM and Heinie Straight 8 sights and a Talon Grip. Phenomenal gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If my third piece of shit in 5 years means I love it, then yeah.. I guess I love it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:29:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If my third piece of shit in 5 years means I love it, then yeah.. I guess I love it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait wait wait wait, they gave you a new one? I knew you were prettier than me but damn...
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Wait wait wait wait, they gave you a new one? I knew you were prettier than me but damn...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to talk to your PFI, there are tons of new guns in the armory to be replacements. Having a piece of shit in the filed is stupid on their part. All he/she has to do is submit a request for one via email.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 6:43:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You need to talk to your PFI, there are tons of new guns in the armory to be replacements. Having a piece of shit in the filed is stupid on their part. All he/she has to do is submit a request for one via email.

View Quote

Seriously.  If your PFI won't do it, go to sector.  We have broken so, so, so many of these guns we lost count.  Swapping a broken gun for a (soon to be) broken gun has become pretty standard and very easy in my neck of the woods.  I don't even think we involve sector except for the property card transfers, its all handed at the station level, it happens so often.  And a ton of these things are breaking for shooters who *only* shoot quals.... so very low round counts.  

Having said that, they took my 96D from me (I would not give it to them, they had to take it) in 2006 or 2007, can't remember, and I've been on the same P2000 since Day 1.  So I can't say that I've personally had any issues with mine, because I haven't, other than that horrible trigger.  But on average, annually, the number of guns that break for various reasons has got to be pretty damn high, agency-wide.

We also have a lot of feeding issues once we put lights on the front.  Something about weight and slower inertia of the slide.  Only certain lights work.  Sometimes.

To the OP, good luck.  I would never spend my own money on one.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top