Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 6/27/2016 9:06:52 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Thinking of getting a VP9 vs a Sig p320.  I've shot and handled both and like them a ton; going to do a final range test this week to see which I shoot better and will likely pick which is more accurate / consistent over anything.

I absolutely love how the VP9 feels in my hand more than any other gun i've ever handled.  The sig feels the same but slightly blockier.  

Trigger edge goes to the sig; my only complaint on the VP9 is the pre-travel on the trigger. seems to take forever to shoot!

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly apprecaited, trying to get all sorts of opinions before pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a personal choice. I have owned both and each have their place.  Mags cost about the same but Sig mags  are getting harder to find. A couple pros for the HK-grip/parts to fit your hand included, longer trigger pull (slightly compared to the Sig but I like the extra l.o.p. with a ccw/home defense firearm-I prefer da/sa). For the Sig-able to swap grip modules to other sizes/colors (widths and heights-you can get a compact slide on a sub-compact grip), different triggers available and usually come with night sights at no extra cost. For the cons, HK- no way to reduce the grip/frame size to allow for a sub-compact frame to be added for concealment adaptability, mag. release (depending on how you feel about it), not as many variations for sights and I don't care the ridge at the bottom of the trigger guard (finger gets scraped and I need to adjust my grip/trigger finger placement). For the Sig-Cost of extra grip modules (the  compact/medium grip I had on mine felt like a brick in my hand and had to buy another), the tang is kind of pointy if you plan on ccw ( at least it was for me-IWB carry) and the trigger pull is kind of short, (like I said I like a longer length of pull).

Also a side note on the Sig. They have changed their grip modules with the latest batch and if you decide to get a different grip module you have to see what slide release you have. The original slide release will not work on the newer grips unless you file/sand  down the little shelf but then you run into different problems. You can buy another one but that adds to the cost of the original purchase. The take down lever has also changed in order for it to be more slim (small amount) but they too can be bought. Try to find the latest model with the newer upgraded parts as it will save you in the long run.

These are just a few observations/issues I have had/noted. With that said, I have a P30sk that I like very much and carry.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#2]
We're not talking mega bucks here so just buy both . And buy lots of mags before the election rush gets really cranking .
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I spent 4 months researching every striker fired 9mm and ended up with the VP9. I made the correct choice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Bought a VP9 last month and love it, I like better that my Glocks, waiting for a compact version and hoping a 45 ACP version in the next year or 2.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Sold my VP9.  Could not get used to the trigger.  Sig 320 will be my next purchase.   Much better trigger on in IMHO...coming from someone with 9 Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the VP9..

I am a Sig guy all the way, but this is the Hk that they just got RIGHT!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
A Few Observations on the Heckler & Koch VP9

Here’s a brief look at the heart of the new Heckler & Koch VP9, its barrel. It is known by many that the barrel of the VP9 is cold hammer forged. The barrel has a 1:9.8” twist and a fully-supporting chamber.

According to my digital calipers, the length of the VP9’s barrel is 4.093”. For comparison, the VP9’s barrel is nearly identical in length to that of a factory barrel for a Glock 19 with the Glock barrel measuring 4.019”.

The "stepped" chamber of the VP9 barrel . . .

The two cases on each end were fired from the VP9 . . .

I fired some of the more common bullet weights for the 9x19mm over my Oehler 35-P chronograph from both the VP9 and my Glock 19. The results are shown in the table below. All velocities listed are muzzle velocities as calculated from the instrumental velocities using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software.

The VP9 at 25 Yards.

Using match-grade hand-loads topped with the Hornady 125 grain HAP bullet and shooting off the bench, my VP9 turned in a 10-shot group that had an extreme spread of 1.6”.

The VP9 at 50 yards.

Just for kicks and giggles I fired some statistically insignificant 6-shot groups from my VP at a distance of 50 yards.  Using one of my best 9x19mm hand-loads topped with the Hornady 125 grain HAP bullet, I fired seven, 6-shot groups in a row from the bench.  The average extreme spread for the seven groups was 2.40”.

The cherry-picked group of the bunch is pictured below.  The group has an extreme spread of 1.52”.

….
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess it all boils down to what you want the pistol for.  One pistol can be the perfect "fit" for you in one aspect and terrible in another.
I fell in love with everything about the VP9 the first time I handled and shot one, but I use it for USPSA and Steel.  It's not a CCW for me, especially not in the summer, and I never intended it to be.

What are you looking for in the VP or Sig?

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both.  I like both.  I would have to give the edge to the VP9 though.  I have many thousand more rounds through the Sig but I just shoot the HK more accurately for some reason.  Good luck with your choice.  David
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 3:22:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I have them both. Not getting rid of either one. In my opinion after many, many thousands of rounds through both, that I just like the VP9 way more. It's just more accurate for me. I can do with a stock VP9 that I need an RMR equipped P320 to keep up with.

FWIW, I've tried Glock and was severely let down. I tried M&P and compromised with at least keeping the Shield variant. Got some hands on with an XD and was not feeling it at all and was just meh. When I got my first VP9 it was as if a balance was restored, that I had finally found what I was looking for. Nothing else is the only answer for me but the VP9. But if there was a second answer, then it would be the P320 without a doubt.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Picked up a VP9 last night for $700 out the door, 3 mags and night sights.  Pumped to go shoot

any small upgrades you all would do?
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Picked up a VP9 last night for $700 out the door, 3 mags and night sights.  Pumped to go shoot

View Quote

None at all.  Find the right backstrap/side panel combination and go to town.  

Well, I might remove the slide grip assist wings if I didn't have to remove the rear sight, but that's just for aesthetics in my opinion, as they are functional.  I just like a smooth look on the slide.  But that's it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Like several folks here i also have both...and really like shooting both. The VP9 has a longer trigger reset it also has ~50-75 fps better velocity (checked on chronograph) compared to my 320C, while the 320C has a shorter/more consistent trigger pull. Both guns have (IMO) outstanding ergonomics. The 320C may be slightly more concealable but it's a close call. My VP9 puts 4 out of 5 rounds in the same ragged hole at 15 yards (I always have 1 flyer 1.5" lower than the rest). The Sig evenly distributes the rounds into a 1.25" group at 15 yards. I've decided to keep both of them. They're both excellent guns!

Good luck w/your decision!

Dh
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Potentially a light, otherwise I've had a hard time coming up with things to upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Potentially a light, otherwise I've had a hard time coming up with things to upgrade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the beauty of this gun, stock from the box and nothing to change at all. This is how you make a service pistol right to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Is there a leather holster for the VP9 that can be used either IWB/OWB ? I just can not warm up to Kydex and I would like keep the slide wear at a minimum.
I did not buy it for IWB but would like to have the option which is why I am asking about one holster that can do both. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Privateer holsters made me one for mine. I am highly impressed and price was very reasonable and a quick ship time from order received.

I recommend him!

http://www.privateerleather.com/
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Privateer holsters made me one for mine. I am highly impressed and price was very reasonable and a quick ship time from order received.

I recommend him!

http://www.privateerleather.com/
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd think leather would wear the slide much faster than plastic
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Faster than Kydex?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?
Why are you babying, or would like to baby a tool that you're trying to make into safe queen presentable to begin with? Wear adds character and shows that you use it and will use it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?

It'll wear more in the long run.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?

Yes, very much so. Think about it
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?

Yes, leather is like a fine sandpaper, Kydex is incredibly smooth.

Link Posted: 7/28/2016 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I tried the Sig 320 the grip to me is like holding a baseball bat - The VP9 fits just fine-I'm able to reach the mag release / trigger perfectly
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?

I finally got my first kydex holsters for the VP9. Before that I was always a leather guy. I've been using it a little over a year. Carry almost daily, I would say all but two total weeks out of the year, and unholster nightly. No signs of any wear actually.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 4:00:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I held both pistols before buying my VP9.  I like the ergonomics of the VP versus the 320.  After 300 round session at the range, I felt that the handle of the VP9 felt plasticy and so I installed the Talon grip and it feels MUCH better.  I bought the 5x7 sheet instead of the pre-cut version and love the outcome.  I can't wait until this weekend to try it out.

Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Try the Steyr M9a1 or L9a1.  Super comfortable grip, trigger that's just as good as both the VP9 and 320, and super low bore axis.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I finally got my first kydex holsters for the VP9. Before that I was always a leather guy. I've been using it a little over a year. Carry almost daily, I would say all but two total weeks out of the year, and unholster nightly. No signs of any wear actually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Faster than Kydex?

What holster did you buy? I may take a look at it. I always thought Kydex would show wear on the gun before leather.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I held both pistols before buying my VP9.  I like the ergonomics of the VP versus the 320.  After 300 round session at the range, I felt that the handle of the VP9 felt plasticy and so I installed the Talon grip and it feels MUCH better.  I bought the 5x7 sheet instead of the pre-cut version and love the outcome.  I can't wait until this weekend to try it out.

https://i.imgsafe.org/2331763c2d.jpg

https://i.imgsafe.org/232c496755.jpg
View Quote

Does the Talon give the grip a more cushiony or softer feel than the factory grips?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#31]
SafetyFirst,

Comp-tac MTAC. It's actually leather and kydex. That's what I use everyday iwb. I have a crossbreed iwb hybrid too I'd send you to try out. It's horsehide against your skin and kydex I just prefer the mtac. Lots prefer the crossbreed instead. For OWB I use a furry that I like or some others. Mostly the furry though.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
SafetyFirst,

Comp-tac MTAC. It's actually leather and kydex. That's what I use everyday iwb. I have a crossbreed iwb hybrid too I'd send you to try out. It's horsehide against your skin and kydex I just prefer the mtac. Lots prefer the crossbreed instead. For OWB I use a furry that I like or some others. Mostly the furry though.

View Quote

Another vote for the MTAC.  I had a Crossbreed Supertuck that allowed the gun to rock back and forth under tension.  You also need to get the combat cut, or do it yourself.  The rocking motion wore down the finish on the slide.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
SafetyFirst,

View Quote

Thanks, I sent COMP-TAC an email with a couple of questions. I am also wanting a green Crimson Trace laser that can be used with a holster. Looks like I will be waiting awhile for that. I may have to settle for red but that is what I am running on a couple of other handguns.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top