Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2016 9:00:10 AM EDT
I understand it's highly subjective but would you share the following information:

Hand size:
Grip config:

Did you think one config was more comfortable but shot better with another?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I have tiny hands, so I've got my P30/VP9/P30SK set up with small panels all around. Never used them in any other configuration.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:20:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't set up the grip panels on mine for comfort.  I set them up according to how I best shoot it.  I corrected a buddies shot groups in 5 minutes flopping his VP9 grip panels around.  He was amazed.
I have it set up with Large backstrap.  Large right side.  Small left side.  I might have the medium right side panel on it...not sure.

I have a medium sized hand I guess.  I have no idea.  :)

But I have short thumbs, so using my thumb to drop mags isn't ever going to work on a VP9.  I adapted to using my shooting hands middle finger, which took 5 minutes to get used to, so that's what I do naturally now.  If I make the backstrap smaller, it screws up my trigger placement and doesn't feel right anymore.

This panel combo puts my trigger finger right where it belongs and works great for me.  As an added benefit, this combo is comfortable, stable and causes no issues with rubbing or stresses on my hand.  Some people have an issue with their trigger finger rubbing on the recess in the trigger guard.  I've never noticed it, so my trigger finger placement must be different.

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have tiny hands, so I've got my P30/VP9/P30SK set up with small panels all around. Never used them in any other configuration.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I started with the small for concealment purposes. Didn't feel right while shooting it during holster drills. Left the small side panels in and went to the medium with the rear and everything felt more natural and my groups became a laser almost even from holster drills.

I'd say bring it to the range and get it sorted out there.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I started with the small for concealment purposes. Didn't feel right while shooting it during holster drills. Left the small side panels in and went to the medium with the rear and everything felt more natural and my groups became a laser almost even from holster drills.

View Quote

You know, it's really (to me) amazing how much difference the right grip panels make.  I shot it first with the mediums with some 124 +p rounds, and the way the medium backstrap laid in my hand, it really stung something fierce, like shooting a G27 stinging.  At first I was thinking, "man, what a mistake this is turning out to be", because it was zero fun shooting at the range.  But I switched it out for the small, and it's all the difference in the world.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never figured out why, but I like my handgun grips small and my rifle grips large.

*shrugs*
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Large side panels, small rear backstrap.

Edit 6/6/16: switched to med backstrap today after shooting it and the small against a timer.

When I buy gloves if I buy an XL, the fingers fit, but the palm has too much volume.  If I buy L gloves, the fingers are too short, but the palm fits correctly.  I prefer tight-fitting M nitrile gloves at work when doing things that require a high degree of dexterity.  I can palm a basketball.  Detailed enough?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You know, it's really (to me) amazing how much difference the right grip panels make.  I shot it first with the mediums with some 124 +p rounds, and the way the medium backstrap laid in my hand, it really stung something fierce, like shooting a G27 stinging.  At first I was thinking, "man, what a mistake this is turning out to be", because it was zero fun shooting at the range.  But I switched it out for the small, and it's all the difference in the world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is interesting. I shoot 147+P out of mine, it's my carry load. Never noticed the difference really between that and my reloads or factory fodder.

I'm a serious fan of some heavy projectiles with some octane to them

I think I shoot too much .45, I don't get stung by a G27 either
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
For me, none of the grip panels change where the trigger contacts my finger. They just change how the gun filled my palm, which didn't really impact how I shot. So I am just medium all around. I'm 6'3" with long fingers and although the large filled my hand great, medium allows my fingers to wrap almost completely around to my palm and really secure the grip. I really wish the backstrap went all they way up the back so you can adjust trigger reach.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Large hands.

The medium back panel has too much of a hump for me. Tried both the small and large sides. Settled on medium sides and small back. Feels perfect. Points and shoots naturally. Finger rests on the trigger exactly where I want it.

I like a naturally pointing gun that feels right. It does just that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Medium to small hands and I set them up small all around.  I will say after 2k rounds through it I feel like I need more palm swell so I might try one med grip on the right panel.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:13:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I still need to experiment  with different grip configurations on my vp40. What method are you guys doing for that? Can you leave the panels on for a mag or 2 without putting the pin back in? Or do you have to do that each time? I'm a bit lazy and not looking forward to that tedious task lol. Any tips on making the process as efficient as possible? Also how does that roll pin hold up? Does it need to be replaced or anything after a few uses?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I still need to experiment  with different grip configurations on my vp40. What method are you guys doing for that? Can you leave the panels on for a mag or 2 without putting the pin back in? Or do you have to do that each time? I'm a bit lazy and not looking forward to that tedious task lol. Any tips on making the process as efficient as possible? Also how does that roll pin hold up? Does it need to be replaced or anything after a few uses?
View Quote
Go to Cal's and buy a few roll pins in that size if this really bothers you. I had tried all three sizes with the P30L and then tried all three again. The roll pin still held shape.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I set up mine and my buddies with NO roll pin installed.
There's no need for it.  Bring a punch with you, swap the panels around all you want, and see what works best.  Press the roll pin back in and yer done.

As far as the roll pin goes, I'd be surprised if it ever needed replacement.  I'd be more concerned with the hole(s) it has to pass through.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I set up mine and my buddies with NO roll pin installed.There's no need for it.  Bring a punch with you, swap the panels around all you want, and see what works best.  Press the roll pin back in and yer done.
As far as the roll pin goes, I'd be surprised if it ever needed replacement.  I'd be more concerned with the hole(s) it has to pass through.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]
shot the best today with small all around.

tried several configurations and it ended up being the best.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top