Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I love mine
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
5.9mm OEM front sight arrived today as did the front sight punch from Dawson.

3 min later sights changed.

Will see if it brings it up to #2 (preferred picture) this weekend.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm with you, sight pic #2 is ideal. Not sure the logic of HK on that frankly. I am used to it now, and don't want to change my metal LE model night sights, but I will be interested in what you discover.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm with you, sight pic #2 is ideal. Not sure the logic of HK on that frankly. I am used to it now, and don't want to change my metal LE model night sights, but I will be interested in what you discover.

View Quote
Sight one actually is ideal as it's the six o'clock hold and a US thing while number two is the center hold which is Euro. A US hold with a US style sight picture made for US distribution? Shocking. I actually prefer the US six hold myself.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Before I invest anymore into the VP9 going to do a head to head against the G17.

This IS NOT a features and benefits comparison - but how well DO I shoot each and if the VP9 is able to perform better for me to continue to invest in it (mags and stuff).

I like the VP9 a lot but unless it shoots better than the G17 for me it won't be a long term piece in the collection.

As noted in an earlier post - I put 500-1000 rounds through any new pistol to determine how much I like it.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Before I invest anymore into the VP9 going to do a head to head against the G17.

This IS NOT a features and benefits comparison - but how well DO I shoot each and if the VP9 is able to perform better for me to continue to invest in it (mags and stuff).

I like the VP9 a lot but unless it shoots better than the G17 for me it won't be a long term piece in the collection.

As noted in an earlier post - I put 500-1000 rounds through any new pistol to determine how much I like it.

View Quote

This is a good idea.  I followed the same process vs my Glocks.  Having dozens of mags, holsters and a box full of spare parts means that any new platform needs to be a LOT better IMO.  I was more than a little surprised when I shot the VP9 better.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't get emotionally attached to either of them and choose the best tool that is right for you. No one here is going to think any less of you if you choose either or.

Now go out an shoot by trials of combat
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I have small hands and find that it makes me pretty picky about handguns. Despite that I've had interesting results with which handguns shoot well for me without much effort.
The Glock 17 has been one of them, the CZ P-09 and the Sig P320 full and a full sized USP-9 are also on that list.
1911s have always suited me really well too, but I've been on the hunt for the perfect polymer frame 9mm blaster for a while.

Tonight I'm taking out a gen3 Glock 17 with a backstrap reduction
A 5" M&P9 pro with an apex polymer trigger
A VP9
A CZ P-09
and for no particular reason an HK45c

With the 4 9mms I'll be checking for poa/poi, recoil management, comfort, and arbitrary stuff like "can I easily hit what I'm aiming at"

I haven't gotten to do a lot of handgun shooting the last couple years and I've definitely deteriorated.  I say that because no matter the circumstances I can always shoot my 1911 spot on.  I want a 9mm that'll do the same thing for me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need an impartial shooter to monitor the proceedings.

Perhaps a big, left-handed Sioux Indian who happens to shoot at the same range.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I decided on the VP9...  I brought it home yesterday and put 50 rounds through it today...  I REALLY like it.  However I did notice that stupid groove in the bottom of the trigger guard.  I have very large hands and my finger really drug on it.  I tore it down (holy over complicated Batman) and widened out the "trough".  I like it much better now.  I can't wait to get some more trigger time with this.  This thing is easy to shoot fast and get hits.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You mean there are other pistol manufacturers besides Glock?

Quite a few, you should get out there, play the field. Never know what youre missing

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so, youre telling me that 2 different pistols from 2 top manufactures are good reliable pistols? omg wow

Quite a few, you should get out there, play the field. Never know what youre missing

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
so, youre telling me that 2 different pistols from 2 top manufactures are good reliable pistols? omg wow

I honestly think that this will be my next pistol.  I have shot the rental at the range twice now and enjoy it.  Skeptical how much more ill like it more than my G17 though.  Have not even touched my 1911's for the most part since I bought my glocks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I completed my comparison of the VP9 against my G17.4 and the VP9 will be on the chopping block. While I truly enjoy the pistol and think it is a splendid side arm there are some factors which came to light once the side by side comparison was underway.

Please understand this is solely based on how I shoot the pistol and the economics of adding a second brand/platform to my collection.

My comparison focused on the following major areas:

Slow fire accuracy
Rapid fire accuracy / drills (dot torture, F.A.S.T, and “The Test”) from the holster
Plate rack (5 plate rack)
Aftermarket support
Cost of ownership (mags, holsters, spare parts, and ease of maintenance)

Slow fire accuracy: The VP9 stock is as accurate as my G17 that I’ve set up with sights and trigger.

Rapid fire accuracy: The G17 wins for me here. There is an advantage to the G17 as it has been my primary range pistol for years with many thousands of rounds and holster presentations. I do not have the same “feel” with the VP9 as it is new to me for the most part.

What became evident during the speed testing is that I have to use what I call the “Sig hold” – were my strong hand thumb rests on the back of my support hand to avoid the slide release. The concern here is not keeping the slide from locking back but the edge of the slide lock dug into my strong hand thumb. I am not going to unlearn a grip that has proven to be extremely successful for me over the years for one pistol.

Plate rack: From the holster the G17 had slightly better times, with the pistol in hand at the buzzer times were tied.

Aftermarket support / Cost of ownership: The G17 wins hands down.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread for me to have a good evaluation and feel for a pistol requires more than just renting one at the range. I have to buy it and shoot the snot out of it. For example in the past 12 months I’ve completed this exercise with:

Sig P320
C75 SAO
CZ SP-01
Glock 34
Sig P226R

All were excellent pistols and I enjoyed being able to shoot and get a good feel for them. However none have been able to allow me to produce a better result overall than what I can do with the G17. Pistols are a very personal thing what works for me might not work for you, etc… Some might be immensely more accurate (SP-01 & P226R) but might be heavy and end up being a range / safe queen and so forth.

At the end of the day I am consolidating my collection and for me to invest any further into the VP9 would be a foolish economic endeavor at this stage.

Conclusion: If you are looking at a new striker fired pistol I would strongly suggest giving the VP9 a hard look. It is an excellent choice and might be the best thing for you.

ETA: the 5.9mm front sight did result in sight picture #2 for those wondering
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Interesting review...  Glocks have never fit my hand.  As much as I wanted them to, they never suited me.  The small ones seem to be better (G26,42,&43).  I have a 43 and really like it, but I found myself trying to eject the mag with my index finger like I do on my HK's.  I have been carrying and shooting an HK for 17 years and have fired close to 20,000 rounds through them.  When I had the G17 and VP9 on the counter at the gun shop, it was obvious which one was for me.  When I point the 17, the rear sight is below the bottom of the front sight.  With the VP, the sights are perfectly lined up.  I may end up with a G20 sometime this year and with some frame work I can probably make it point right for me...  Now I have to check out the sights you are talking about.  I prefer that sight picture too.  I want to put more rounds down range first.  The Trijicon HD's look real promising.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm somewhere between 1,000 and 1,500 rounds into my VP9, and it seems to be getting better with age (especially the trigger). I shoot this gun better than any other.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Ha Sig Hold.  Yep I still ride the slide release most of the time on the VP9.  I think that's been my biggest gripe so far.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#17]
hmmm.  Interesting comparison.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#18]
2+ years of near perfection. Over 6000 rounds now and not a single FTE/FTF. I'm not gonna lie, the G17.4 is slowly becoming a viable opponent.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I really like my VP9, but not really crazy about the cover sights.  I always shoot this gun about 1 1/2" low, but with a nice night group.  Your thread pushed me to order the 5.9mm front sight I've seen mentioned here and on the HK forum.

Thanks for the shove.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I love these threads.

Have y'all found any aftermarket charging supports, yet? Been trying to find some aluminum ones, to no avail.

And a second question that I'm sure someone else already answered but I have yet to find it, will the VP9 fit a Galco Miami Classic made for the P30?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top