Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2016 11:37:09 PM EDT
I got to handle a used USP 9 today at a shop, and while I think the texturing is awesome, DA trigger seems decent enough, and like the safety/decocker setup, my God that grip feels huge! I don't have the largest hands in the world but I certainly don't have the smallest either...still the grip seems awfully large for a one-size-fits all.

I know on most guns it's kind of expected you are going to have to shift/alter your grip somewhat to hit the magazine release, but in order for me to reach the left side mag release lever with my right thumb (I am right handed) I found I have to considerably shift my grip on the gun to reach that small lever enough to drop the mag. Interestingly though, it did seem to be pretty easy to push the right side lever down with my middle finger without really interrupting or breaking my hold on the gun at all--it almost seems like the gun was designed with this in mind???

For those who have experience with USP 9s, how do you use the mag release on the gun personally? Do you shift your grip to hit the left side mag release lever with your right thumb, or do you find it is easier to hit the lever on the right side with your middle or index finger instead? Or is there some other method you use that you have found to work well?

I'm on the fence with giving one of these a try because even now they are still considerably expensive pistols (especially for a polymer gun) and I'm not sure about the learning curve for the mag release...but I'm still curious to see how well I could handle/shoot with one compared to my Berettas and SIG Pros (both great guns in their own right, but obviously don't offer cocked-and-locked as an option).
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot right handed and I drop the mag with my trigger finger.

It is fast, easy and requires no change of grip.

I also carry an M&P and switch the mag release to the right side and do the same thing.

I stopped carring glocks because that can not be done with the mag release.

PS: I had to use an H&K, did not have a choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
try finding an HK P2000.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I use my middle finger to drop the mag, I have to shift the grip a bit because I have small hands, but any grip change is much smaller than if I had to use a push button release like on a Glock or Sig.  The mag release lever on the USP line is a bit undersized, which is why many people end up swapping it out for a HK45c mag release, a very easy modification. I say go for it, the USP and USPc are great guns.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 3:19:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I use my right hand middle finger. No shifting of the gun needed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#5]
i have a usp45 fullsize, same controls, i use my trigger finger to drop the mag, works awesome
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I use my trigger finger
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:52:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Use the trigger finger, too easy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Above posters are right, if you try to use your shooting hand thumb you are fail.

Use either your trigger or middle finger on the shooting hand, kind of falls to individual preference/body mechanics (I use middle finger).

The other technique I have seen used is to use the off hand thumb to trip the release. With just a little practice you can go from a two hand grip to released mag in your off hand in one fast fluid motion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Above posters are right, if you try to use your shooting hand thumb you are fail.

Use either your trigger or middle finger on the shooting hand, kind of falls to individual preference/body mechanics (I use middle finger).

The other technique I have seen used is to use the off hand thumb to trip the release. With just a little practice you can go from a two hand grip to released mag in your off hand in one fast fluid motion.
View Quote
I use my dominant hand thumb just fine.  Never have had a problem on any controls.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:51:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Trigger finger here...
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Usp 40

Right handed, use my trigger finger.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Interesting...it certainly is different than what I am used to, but just playing around with the thing in the shop and using my middle finger of my shooting hand to hit the release as you do, it seemed awfully easy to do, and it didn't seem like I had to break the hold I had on the backstrap of the gun really at all...I like that.

Thank you and all of the other posters for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
USP45

I'm right handed and use my trigger finger.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:22:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Trigger finger here
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Right hander here, but I like using my HKs in both hands and use my trigger finger (either hand) to drop the mag.
It's fast, simple, intuitive (and I'm issued a Glock at work).

My current carry HK is the VP9.  I put the large panels on it.  Fits my hand perfectly.

Even though I can get Glocks all day long at blue label prices (and I do have a few), I still buy HKs when I can.
USPC 357
P2000 357
45C
USPC 45
USP 45
VP9

trying to find my grail gun (P2000sk in 357).
Going to pick up a 45T and VP40 (with 357 barrel) next.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I shoot right handed and I drop the mag with my trigger finger.

It is fast, easy and requires no change of grip.

I also carry an M&P and switch the mag release to the right side and do the same thing.

I stopped carring glocks because that can not be done with the mag release.

PS: I had to use an H&K, did not have a choice.
View Quote
Index finger moves off trigger and depresses mag release. To me easier than using my thumb on most other guns.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:16:15 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a USP 9 and a Walther PPS with the paddle mag release, for both I use my right hand finger to drop mags.
Yea, it does take some re-training, but I've found I can operate either without changing my grip.

I'm surprised smaller 'pocket carry' pistols don't have this feature, with just about every pistol smaller than a Shield there's always complaints of bumping the mag release. I think with the new PPS M2 Walther has dropped the paddle release from all their US products now. Kudos to HK for 'sticking to their guns'.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

try finding an HK P2000.
View Quote

Then add an HK45C extended mag release.  Oh, and use your finger.  -J
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Use my thumb on the updated mag release off the newer guns retrofitted.  HKparts had them and McMaster had the metric roll pin punch to remove/install.

It's the most comfortable for me...
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top