Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 3/26/2016 5:14:57 AM EDT
Brought home a brand new HK VP9 LE package today.

When I pull the slide back 1.5-2 inches and let it go, the slide doesn't go all the way forward. It stops about 1/4" from being closed. If I fling the gun around then it snaps the rest of the way forward.

I played with another one (non LE model) at the shop and didn't notice this happening.

This is my first HK so looking for comments and wondering if anyone else had this happen?
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it and then see what happens. I'm sure it'll be fine but the way you are doing it is not gonna be the same as shooting.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
The slide it designed to properly cycle fully from the rear all the way forward to property seat into battery.  Hence the phrase "don't ride the slid forward"  because you can interfere with the inertia of the slide.   Please don't "fling" a gun around, it could be unhealthy.     If you actually go shooting I bet is does just fine.  David
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 2:18:09 AM EDT
[#3]
^^ What he said.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^ What he said.
View Quote

I've never even loaded the gun.

I checked out another VP9 today and it doesn't have the issue. The slide slams forward no matter how little it is pulled back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#5]
That last ~1/4 inch is a lot of additional friction as that's when the barrel engages the locking block and has to slide up into it's locked position in the slide.  Not saying that there is no problem, but there is a definite change at that point on a typical locked breech pistol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:33:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you oiled it yet?
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I checked out another VP9 today and it doesn't have the issue. The slide slams forward no matter how little it is pulled back.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^ What he said.

That's not an issue, you aren't using it correctly.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had several poly frame 9's that do this brand new, a VP9, M&P9 and Ruger SR9.  Go shoot it.  Let the parts wear in and it will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Brought home a brand new HK VP9 LE package today.

When I pull the slide back 1.5-2 inches and let it go, the slide doesn't go all the way forward. It stops about 1/4" from being closed. If I fling the gun around then it snaps the rest of the way forward.

I played with another one (non LE model) at the shop and didn't notice this happening.

This is my first HK so looking for comments and wondering if anyone else had this happen?
View Quote

I can make my VP9 do exactly what you are describing.  It gets shot a lot and has had zero failures of any kind.  IMO it's fine, go shoot.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^ What he said.

Then why do two identical VP9s function differently?

If there is no issue why can I recreate the problem when I swap my recoil spring into the second VP9 that doesnt have the problem?

Even simply holstering would cause the gun to go out of battery

Link Posted: 3/31/2016 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If there is no issue why can I recreate the problem when I swap my recoil spring into the second VP9 that doesnt have the problem?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^ What he said.

So you identified the issue as the recoil spring... But you want to play 20 questions apparently. Do they appear any different?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So you identified the issue as the recoil spring... But you want to play 20 questions apparently. Do they appear any different?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^ What he said.

No the recoil springs look the same. I guess one of them is softer. Perhaps HK got a lot of bad springs. I dont know.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#13]
The spring is a warranty item. If you're that worried about it give them a call. I had actually worn mine after 16,000 rounds and called them. Obviously they don't hate us and we don't suck because they overnighted the part on their dime and told me to file 13 the old one. No questions asked either other than the serial number.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^ What he said.

So how did it work at the range, shooting bullets?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^ What he said.

That's not important.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
^^ What he said.

Sounds like you got a nice tight fitting barrel that should have exceptionally tight lockup once you fire it!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Clean it, oil it, and shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Brand new VP9. I can report this issue, in fact came here to post for help but saw there was a thread.

The slide is really loose when in battery. I can push the slide back 1/4 inch with 0 force. 6/10 times the slide jams at the last 1/4 inch.

Not riding the slide either.

Seems like a very out of spec recoil spring. There is no friction at the last remaining travel of the slide.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Does it cause malfunctions?  I have to place my thumb over the back of the slide on my VP9 when I holster it or it will go out of battery.  I've had zero malfunctions after a few thousand rounds so as far as I can tell it's normal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Brand new VP9. I can report this issue, in fact came here to post for help but saw there was a thread.

The slide is really loose when in battery. I can push the slide back 1/4 inch with 0 force. 6/10 times the slide jams at the last 1/4 inch.

Seems like a very out of spec recoil spring. There is no friction at the last remaining travel of the slide.
View Quote

You guys need to stop being paranoid with new pistols and shoot the damn things .
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't feel like I 'got lucky' because my new VP9 never did and does not do that.
It's certainly not 'normal'.

I bought mine with the intention to compete with it, which I have.  Had I taken it out of the box, cleaned it, lubed it, worked the action a few hundred times before hitting the range with it for the first time, and the slide didn't battery... it would have gone right back in the case and back to H&K.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't feel like I 'got lucky' because my new VP9 never did and does not do that.It's certainly not 'normal'.
I bought mine with the intention to compete with it, which I have.  Had I taken it out of the box, cleaned it, lubed it, worked the action a few hundred times before hitting the range with it for the first time, and the slide didn't battery... it would have gone right back in the case and back to H&K.
View Quote

Failure to RTB while easing the slide forward fiddling around at home is different than failure to RTB while shooting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You guys need to stop being paranoid with new pistols and shoot the damn things .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Mine did this too. After one mag, it has never done it since.
Quit being bitches and go shoot the pistol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say don't shoot it.  Help keep the EE full of nice guns that have hardly been used :P
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I say don't shoot it.  Help keep the EE full of nice guns that have hardly been used :P
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like the the way you think
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top