Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Posted: 1/5/2016 9:46:07 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a new 9mm once a new job promotion kicks in a few weeks from now. I've narrowed it to either a P2000 or a P30 - either of which would be a LEM variant with the LE package. I've never shot a LEM triggered HK but have checked them out at a LGS and think this is what I want.

A couple of things…

My other pistols include a USP 45T V1, a S&W 1911, and a Sig P938 (I dig the 1911 manual of arms). The P938 is my current CCW but as much as I want to like that thing, it’s too finicky for me to trust and will be traded in towards whichever HK I decide on.  That being said, I’m trying to have my cake and eat it too with this decision. This gun will serve as my CCW and ideally fill the "… best damn, do everything pistol, that was ever made and all you’d ever need” type of niche that the g19 apparently does.

I have shot a P30S and liked it outside of the safety (controls were too crowded) and the staple gun-like DA/SA trigger. This led me to check into the LEM variants. The ergos were awesome and I like that it can be slimmed down in the palm swells.

The P2000 seems like a good option but a little more antiquated. I've handled a V2 variant at a LGS and was pretty pleased with it. Never shot one personally, although.

For those who are more familiar with the platforms, which would you suggest?  This will likely be my only 9mm for a while now so I’m trying to do my homework before I lay down the funds. Thanks for any insight into the matter.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had both and still have a p2000.  I might be in the minority on this but I like the size of the p2000 more for carry.  It holds two less rounds but I think 13+1 is still pretty good.  The grips seems shorter and easier to conceal for me on the p2000.  The p30 does have a more customizable grip so if that's really important for you I'd lean that way.  Both should have a nearly identical trigger in LEM.  The p2000 also has cheaper magazines generally speaking.  They are both pretty good and either will serve you well.  If you go p2000 check into the extended mag,release.  It's a pretty good 25$ upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a P30sk-v3 that's a good size for conceal or open carry and it's a really well made gun. I have IWB made by Stealth Gear and an OWB by Theis.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I've checked into the SK's and while I can see the appeal in them, I really prefer a full grip on the gun. I'm not a large guy but not exactly small either. I think I can get away with either the P2000 or P30 assuming I slim it down with the grip panels, which I like small anyways.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#4]
P2000. It's slimmer than the P30. I have the P30L which is no conceal all day everyday type of gun as it is huge. Make's for a fine duty or nightstand gun though. The P2000 us most certainly on my next to buy list.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both the P2000 and the SK in .40 LEM. I can honestly say that I am a big fan of both. I have smaller hands and the size of the P2000 is perfect to me. It seems like a more compact, fullsize pistol if that makes since. I've never had any shooting experience with the P30 but I'm sure its a fine pistol being an H&K. I also am a big fan of the LEM trigger, its a nice choice for a carry pistol. I may have a partial opinion, but I would go with the P2000. In my opinion you really couldn't go wrong with either option.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#6]
P30sk Lem owner. Replaced a g26 and enjoying it since
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#7]
P30 LEM.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#8]
If it's P2000 vs P30 for a carry gun, Id definitely say P2000. I have both, and highly prefer the P2000 for carry. My P30 is only used as a suppressor host.

However, I just got a P30SK LE a few months back. That thing has highly impressed me. Using a P2000 magazine in it with the xgrip spacer makes it feel like a factory "P30 Compact", and gives you the same grip size as the P2000. If you prefer the features of the P30 but don't like the size of the P30, the P30SK is the clear winner.

Link Posted: 1/8/2016 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#9]
For carry I'd say p2000. I have a p30 LEM that I carry AIWB, and it is pushing the limits of what I can get away with. I wish I'd gone the p2k route at this point, but I'll probably just save up and get a p30sk.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Just put an order in at the LGS for the P30 V1 LE. Might not work out as the ideal CCW but I think it'll fill multiple other roles that I've got lacking in 9mm.

Anything else I should purchase for it outside of a holster and additional mags?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
The P30 feels nicer but the P2000 conceals better. It's not a huge difference but it is noticeable.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just put an order in at the LGS for the P30 V1 LE. Might not work out as the ideal CCW but I think it'll fill multiple other roles that I've got lacking in 9mm.

Anything else I should purchase for it outside of a holster and additional mags?
View Quote
Nice!

You really won't need anything else except ammo. The LE already has night sights, which is the only upgrade the P30 needs.

That and a threaded barrel. The P30 suppresses very nicely.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a P2000 but it is a V3. I love it and it is what I chose to carry. I have shot the P30, but not attempted to carry one. I prefer my P2000, but still want to get a P30 for other reasons.

As for capacity, I carry mine with a 15rd P30 mag and an x-grip plus one in the chamber. It makes a fairly noticeable difference in grip size, but I prefer it even if it is harder to conceal. I like knowing I have the extra rounds if needed and it fits my hand well.

Enjoy your new purchase as you will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Conceal carry I'd take the P2000, grip is smooth and a tad shorter, better for concealment. Otherwise I prefer the larger P30 grip with better ergos. Both are good guns of course. Mostly it's the grip and mag release levers are the only main differences that I can see.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, just got back from the range with the new P30. Overall I'm happy with it but 1) I see what people are saying re: size and 2) the LEM system is going to take some practice. I wasn't that proficient with the trigger as I am with my USP but it was very functional.

I broke it in with 350 rounds of 124 grain NATO with no issues. It was boringly reliable. The sights left something to be desired as I found the Mepro's to be almost too busy and the 6 o-clock hold/LEM made being accurate somewhat difficult. I found the less I concentrated the better I did. Maybe that's the intent of the LEM... ?

Per typical ARFCOM fashion, I think I need to get both. Maybe not a LEM version of the P2000 though.

Thanks for the help and info all. This is a pretty slick pistol and I'm a happy camper.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Excellent - you're right - everyone here will say just get both :-)
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top